Old 20-01-2004, 02:03 AM
Frank White

Default Quick Q regarding rabbits

In article ,
says...

Ignoramus18897 wrote in
:

In article NnPOb.100209$na.53251@attbi_s04, Pam - gardengal wrote:

"Ignoramus3274" wrote in message
I asked this question in misc.rural already, but want to run it by a
few more people. Can meat/fur rabbits survive if they are being fed
a diet that is mostly lawn clippings? I am upset that I waste so
much time and lawn grass due to all this mandatory lawn trimming,
and am thinking about having rabbits between months of May/October,
or some such, and feed them lawn trimmings. will it work?

I already own two chickens and they are doing great, even in -5F
weather, in an unheated shed.

Rabbits can't live on grass clippings alone and should not be fed any
that have been chemically treated with pesticides or fertilizers. Get
a mulching lawn mower - you have to mow the lawn anyway and at least
with a mulching mower you are returnig the clippings back to the lawn
where they act as a natural fertilizer. Less waste, better for your
lawn and no nutritionaly deprived bunnies to worry about.

Or you could get a goat.

pam - gardengal

Will a goat survive on lawn clippings?

I have it on the authority of several well known cartoon characters,

that
goats can survive on tin-cans.

Actually, that legend is based on the fact that goats used
to love to eat the paper labels off junked tin cans because
the paste tasted so good.

I don't think modern labels and glue have the same attraction...

FW

Old 20-01-2004, 01:32 PM
Frogleg

On 19 Jan 2004 00:14:10 GMT, Ignoramus3274
wrote:

I asked this question in misc.rural already, but want to run it by a
few more people. Can meat/fur rabbits survive if they are being fed a
diet that is mostly lawn clippings? I am upset that I waste so much
time and lawn grass due to all this mandatory lawn trimming, and am
thinking about having rabbits between months of May/October, or some
such, and feed them lawn trimmings. will it work?

"Survive" or thrive? *People* can survive on significantly inadequate
diets, 'though not grass clippings. There are plenty of references and
books on 'raising rabbits for fun and profit'. If "wasting time" on
lawn chores is a concern, you should be aware that rabbits take a fair
amount of labor to feed, house, and nurture.

I already own two chickens and they are doing great, even in -5F
weather, in an unheated shed.

Sad.
Old 20-01-2004, 01:42 PM
Dwight Sipler

Ignoramus3274 wrote:

I asked this question in misc.rural already, but want to run it by a
few more people. Can meat/fur rabbits survive if they are being fed a
diet that is mostly lawn clippings? I am upset that I waste so much
time and lawn grass due to all this mandatory lawn trimming, and am
thinking about having rabbits between months of May/October, or some
such, and feed them lawn trimmings. will it work?

I have a tenant who keeps rabbits on my farm. He feeds them almost all
the weeds he can find. They seem to prefer the broadleafed weeds over
the grasses.

As far as the "mandatory lawn trimming" is concerned, my lawn (~1 acre)
gets mowed 3-4 times a year whether it needs it or not. I would not be
able to feed many rabbits that way. By the time it gets mowed, the grass
is too long to leave on, so it goes onto the compost pile. That compost
gets returned to the lawn, since it is full of grass seeds.
Old 20-01-2004, 03:32 PM
A man

Where do you live that requires you to mow your lawn, but they let
you own rabbits? Sounds like a contradiction to me.

--
Say no to fixed width tables. They look terrible in all browsers.
Old 20-01-2004, 04:12 PM
BrownThumb

"Edgar S." wrote in message
om...
when u live in the city, it's not necessary to grow rabbit food.
Dumpster dive behind markets, and u will have more food than u can
ever use

Good hint!

I had in mind that he eat the good parts of the veggies himself, and feed
the scraps to the
rabbits...and the weeds (after identifying them, i.e. dandelions and
mustard) and the snails.

"BrownThumb" wrote in message

"Ignoramus3274" wrote in message
I asked this question in misc.rural already, but want to run it by a
few more people. Can meat/fur rabbits survive if they are being fed a
diet that is mostly lawn clippings? I am upset that I waste so much
time and lawn grass due to all this mandatory lawn trimming, and am
thinking about having rabbits between months of May/October, or some
such, and feed them lawn trimmings. will it work?

I lived next door to rabbit-for-food owners for a coupla years. My
understanding from people who raise other livestock is that grass is
not varied enough for much of any animal, all by itself. I'd compost
the grass, use it to grow other things, feed the other things to the
rabbits. My neighbors fed the rabbits all of their edible vegetable

kitchen
clippings.

Old 20-01-2004, 07:12 PM
D Kat

Try almost any place in the U.S. A rabbit is a pet if not raised in mass
numbers. One of the few zoning regulations that you see almost everywhere
is that you have to keep you grass mowed - then you have the insanity that
they had/have in phoenix where you must have a front lawn... (so your house
can be an absolute eyesore but you can't have a natural meadow)....
DKat

Old 20-01-2004, 07:59 PM
D Kat

I know two things about rabbits.
1. Heat will kill a rabbit
2. Food that we think is just fine for rabbits will kill a rabbit

Searching for links that give you the information you need is very easy and
safer than asking a group of gardeners that may or may not have what you
need to know and may actually out of ignorance tell you something that is
dangerous for your rabbit.

try this link for example..
http://www.leithpetwerks.com/Bunfun/nonpellet.html

Sorry if I sound .... high on my horse... don't mean to. I just lost my
bunny when I was a child because I did not know how to care for it and for a
child feeling responsible for the death of a beloved pet was a bit hard.

"Art M" wrote in message
link.net...

"Ignoramus3274" wrote in message
I asked this question in misc.rural already, but want to run it by a
few more people. Can meat/fur rabbits survive if they are being fed a
diet that is mostly lawn clippings? I am upset that I waste so much
time and lawn grass due to all this mandatory lawn trimming, and am
thinking about having rabbits between months of May/October, or some
such, and feed them lawn trimmings. will it work?

I already own two chickens and they are doing great, even in -5F
weather, in an unheated shed.

My sister's pet rabbit never ate much grass, but it liked dandelion

leaves.
So if you have weedy grass... Rabbits will eat seemingly anything

including
sofa, base board and electrical cords. (Hers had the run of the house.
Luckily they can be trained to use a box like a cat.) They go apesh*t over
African violet leaves and raisins. They'll eat the crumbs from your cereal
boxes (not to mention the box itself). There are some things that you
shouldn't give them including potatoes if I remember correctly.

--Art

Old 20-01-2004, 08:14 PM
Michelle

I have kept rabbits in the past they need a varried diet
grass clippings ar poor in nutriants and will not provide needed
minerals and vitamins rabits need to have an asorrted diet usually
the more colors of vegies the more vitamins orange is usually
vitamin a , No light green or vegies containing too much water like
Iceburg lettuce are good for rabbits they can give them the runs which
will kill them. Dark greens are ok like spinach or red lettus rabbits
can suffer from scurvy so thay need vitamin c they can benefit from a
mineral block

If your question is can they survive yeah for a while but not in
good health and not very happily and would have shorter life span.
That's why they crave to get into all our gardens adn eat up the world
in them as my garden has suffered more than once.

People can survive on bread and water for the most part :- )
my self prefur abit more selection my self

Old 20-01-2004, 08:39 PM
Michelle

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 19:21:58 GMT, "D Kat" wrote:
I think your advice is good and very well placed I also lost a beloved
pet due to child hood ignorance I never made that mistake again ever
since I was six when I lost my Bunnie that was acctually her name ; I
made sure from than on I read all kinds of books before getting a new
pet My mom says I refused to get a kitten to replace my bunny untill I
made her read me somthing like five books She had to read them
because a six year old can only read so much.
he he
any way great advice
Michelle

"Love is the water in the garden of life",

Some people ask where this quote came from , I wrote it in an essay
for school along time ago the only time I ever won any contest
I know two things about rabbits.
1. Heat will kill a rabbit
2. Food that we think is just fine for rabbits will kill a rabbit

Searching for links that give you the information you need is very easy and
safer than asking a group of gardeners that may or may not have what you
need to know and may actually out of ignorance tell you something that is
dangerous for your rabbit.

try this link for example..
http://www.leithpetwerks.com/Bunfun/nonpellet.html

Sorry if I sound .... high on my horse... don't mean to. I just lost my
bunny when I was a child because I did not know how to care for it and for a
child feeling responsible for the death of a beloved pet was a bit hard.

hlink.net...

Old 21-01-2004, 12:32 AM
Offbreed

Ignoramus3274 wrote:

I asked this question in misc.rural already, but want to run it by a
few more people. Can meat/fur rabbits survive if they are being fed a
diet that is mostly lawn clippings? I am upset that I waste so much
time and lawn grass due to all this mandatory lawn trimming, and am
thinking about having rabbits between months of May/October, or some
such, and feed them lawn trimmings. will it work?

Rabbits, no. Guinea-pigs, yes.

Old 21-01-2004, 12:42 AM
D Kat

I'm very impressed with your maturity as a six year old... nice to hear
about. DK
"Michelle" wrote in message
[...]

hlink.net...

Old 21-01-2004, 03:32 AM
Michelle

I'm not six any more I'm twenty six I was refering to the distant
bearly rememberable past
and I havent' kept rabbits for five years
:-)
and now I have a six year old of my own

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 00:36:06 GMT, "D Kat" wrote:

I'm very impressed with your maturity as a six year old... nice to hear
about. DK
"Michelle" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

hlink.net...

Old 21-01-2004, 04:32 AM
Ignoramus1390

wrote:

I asked this question in misc.rural already, but want to run it by a
few more people. Can meat/fur rabbits survive if they are being fed a
diet that is mostly lawn clippings? I am upset that I waste so much
time and lawn grass due to all this mandatory lawn trimming, and am
thinking about having rabbits between months of May/October, or some
such, and feed them lawn trimmings. will it work?

"Survive" or thrive? *People* can survive on significantly inadequate
diets, 'though not grass clippings. There are plenty of references and
books on 'raising rabbits for fun and profit'. If "wasting time" on
lawn chores is a concern, you should be aware that rabbits take a fair
amount of labor to feed, house, and nurture.

I already own two chickens and they are doing great, even in -5F
weather, in an unheated shed.

Sad.

Why do you think that it is sad? These chickens are supposed to do
well in freezing cold weather. Think about it, each has a good
down/feather jacket on her.

Old 21-01-2004, 06:12 AM
D Kat

I knew that!!! I was just seeing you as a six year old and finding it ...
well nice... Both of my sons had those kind of moments. They are well past
that age yet I can still see them as the babies they were and I still am
surprised by the wisdom some children show (whether it be in the present or
as they were). DKat

"Michelle" wrote in message
I'm not six any more I'm twenty six I was refering to the distant
bearly rememberable past
and I havent' kept rabbits for five years
:-)
and now I have a six year old of my own

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 00:36:06 GMT, "D Kat" wrote:

I'm very impressed with your maturity as a six year old... nice to hear
about. DK
"Michelle" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

hlink.net...