Old 19-01-2004, 12:32 AM
Ignoramus3274

Default Quick Q regarding rabbits

I asked this question in misc.rural already, but want to run it by a
few more people. Can meat/fur rabbits survive if they are being fed a
diet that is mostly lawn clippings? I am upset that I waste so much
time and lawn grass due to all this mandatory lawn trimming, and am
thinking about having rabbits between months of May/October, or some
such, and feed them lawn trimmings. will it work?

I already own two chickens and they are doing great, even in -5F
weather, in an unheated shed.

Old 19-01-2004, 12:32 AM

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 00:14:10 +0000, Ignoramus3274 wrote:

I asked this question in misc.rural already, but want to run it by a few
more people. Can meat/fur rabbits survive if they are being fed a diet
that is mostly lawn clippings? I am upset that I waste so much time and
lawn grass due to all this mandatory lawn trimming, and am thinking about
having rabbits between months of May/October, or some such, and feed them
lawn trimmings. will it work?

I already own two chickens and they are doing great, even in -5F weather,
in an unheated shed.

I can't believe anyone feeds rabbits, the bane of gardens. I feed mine
steel pellets delivered via slingshot.
Old 19-01-2004, 06:32 AM
Art M

"Ignoramus3274" wrote in message
I asked this question in misc.rural already, but want to run it by a
few more people. Can meat/fur rabbits survive if they are being fed a
diet that is mostly lawn clippings? I am upset that I waste so much
time and lawn grass due to all this mandatory lawn trimming, and am
thinking about having rabbits between months of May/October, or some
such, and feed them lawn trimmings. will it work?

I already own two chickens and they are doing great, even in -5F
weather, in an unheated shed.

My sister's pet rabbit never ate much grass, but it liked dandelion leaves.
So if you have weedy grass... Rabbits will eat seemingly anything including
sofa, base board and electrical cords. (Hers had the run of the house.
Luckily they can be trained to use a box like a cat.) They go apesh*t over
African violet leaves and raisins. They'll eat the crumbs from your cereal
boxes (not to mention the box itself). There are some things that you
shouldn't give them including potatoes if I remember correctly.

--Art

Old 19-01-2004, 06:35 AM
BrownThumb

"Ignoramus3274" wrote in message
I asked this question in misc.rural already, but want to run it by a
few more people. Can meat/fur rabbits survive if they are being fed a
diet that is mostly lawn clippings? I am upset that I waste so much
time and lawn grass due to all this mandatory lawn trimming, and am
thinking about having rabbits between months of May/October, or some
such, and feed them lawn trimmings. will it work?

I lived next door to rabbit-for-food owners for a coupla years. My
understanding from people who raise other livestock is that grass is
not varied enough for much of any animal, all by itself. I'd compost
the grass, use it to grow other things, feed the other things to the
rabbits. My neighbors fed the rabbits all of their edible vegetable kitchen
clippings.

Old 19-01-2004, 09:32 AM
Fito

"Ignoramus3274" wrote in message

I already own two chickens and they are doing great, even in -5F
weather, in an unheated shed.

What makes you think they are doing great? Try this experiment: Put on
layers of clothing to replicate what you think the chickens are protected
with. Go outside in sub-freezing weather. Sit in an unheated shed. Come back
in the Spring and tell us that you did great and I will believe that the
chickens are ok. Ok?

Fito

Old 19-01-2004, 11:42 AM
Pam - gardengal

"Ignoramus3274" wrote in message
I asked this question in misc.rural already, but want to run it by a
few more people. Can meat/fur rabbits survive if they are being fed a
diet that is mostly lawn clippings? I am upset that I waste so much
time and lawn grass due to all this mandatory lawn trimming, and am
thinking about having rabbits between months of May/October, or some
such, and feed them lawn trimmings. will it work?

I already own two chickens and they are doing great, even in -5F
weather, in an unheated shed.

Rabbits can't live on grass clippings alone and should not be fed any that
have been chemically treated with pesticides or fertilizers. Get a mulching
lawn mower - you have to mow the lawn anyway and at least with a mulching
mower you are returnig the clippings back to the lawn where they act as a
natural fertilizer. Less waste, better for your lawn and no nutritionaly
deprived bunnies to worry about.

Or you could get a goat.

pam - gardengal

Old 19-01-2004, 11:43 AM
Ignoramus3274

In article , Fito wrote:

"Ignoramus3274" wrote in message

I already own two chickens and they are doing great, even in -5F
weather, in an unheated shed.

What makes you think they are doing great? Try this experiment: Put on
layers of clothing to replicate what you think the chickens are protected
with. Go outside in sub-freezing weather. Sit in an unheated shed. Come back
in the Spring and tell us that you did great and I will believe that the
chickens are ok. Ok?

I am not a chicken...

What makes me think that they are doing great is the fact that they
look nice and make 2 eggs per day. They have non-frozen water at all
times because I bought a "heated pet bowl" at walmart fr them, and I
insert my waterer into the bowl. It was on sale for $5, I cannot
believe it.

They also have plenty of bedding, which is just leaves from my trees
that I collected in the fall. Non-frozen food, as well (not rock hard
frozen, I would say).

Old 19-01-2004, 12:02 PM
Bob G

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 03:33:38 -0500, "Fito"
wrote:

"Ignoramus3274" wrote in message

I already own two chickens and they are doing great, even in -5F
weather, in an unheated shed.

What makes you think they are doing great? Try this experiment: Put on
layers of clothing to replicate what you think the chickens are protected
with. Go outside in sub-freezing weather. Sit in an unheated shed. Come back
in the Spring and tell us that you did great and I will believe that the
chickens are ok. Ok?

Fito

Hmmm,

Fito, I live in Minnesota.

Now, there are birds who live here throughout the year, including the
deepest part of winter. One of those, for instance, is a thing called
a pheasant. Another is the wild turkey. Yet another is a thing
called the prairie chicken. All, like a chicken, are primarily ground
dwellers.

Now, I do go outside in the winter here, quite regularly, and do get
around. In fact this morning, as is my usual habit, I was up and
about at 4 am and out taking a little jog by 4:15. Just enough to
shake the kinks out and loosen up my somewhat aging joints, and get
the blood flowing. At age 55 I'm finding that when I don't limber up,
shake things out and loose, this aging bod feels like crap and has
difficulty waking up and coming alive.

Anyway, nice morning. Calm, peaceful, a refreshing minus 8 degrees
fahrenheit if I'm to believe my outdoor thermometer. Very peaceful
jog, especially as I live in the country (rural).

Wanna know something? I know my area, in which I live. Know it well.
Know where some local wild turkey live. And pheasant. Etc.

Strange as it may seem, evidently none of them seemed to think it was
all that cold. I'm speculating of course.

But I sure didn't see any vapors rising from the furnaces of the wild
turkeys or pheasant.

And I'm a right friendly neighbor, and they know that as I don't take
pot shots at them or chase em or anything. And they could easily see
exhaust vapors rising from the exhaust pipe of my furnace. So I'm
presuming it's not a matter of them having run out of fuel oil or
propane in their turkey and pheasant houses. Otherwise one might
expect they'd come knocking on this neighbor's door, saying "Burrrrrr
..... might we come in and warm up neighbor?"

I'm being tongue in cheek, of course.

You're comment is ridiculous, so I was responding in kind.

That fellow's chickens, if he's provided them wind breaks, adequate
roof so that they can stay dry, acceptable bedding materials, and
decent food. Are just fine. Provided he assures they have or can get
liquid water. A wild bird has the option of searching for water. A
caged one does not.

In fact his chickens probably are quite happy to feel relatively safe
from fox, coyote, wolf, bobcat, or cougar, etc.

I take that back, as they've almost certainly never been wild, they've
likely never had to learn to fear such wild and natural predators.

And as he provides them plentiful food, if he does, for a critter,
they're probably fat, happy, and sassy. Figuring they have a pretty
easy life. As compared to their cousins. Most of whom will die very
early in their lives, never seeing maturity at all.

You should think before posting material which might cause others to
wonder if yah know a damned thing about the animals you say you care
so much about.

Bob

Old 19-01-2004, 01:12 PM
Fito

In article , Fito wrote:

[...]

Before reading any other posts about how I may be wrong, please accept my
apologies for my sarcastic response. It just SEEMS too cold for them. I dont
have chickens so what do I know.

Fito

Old 19-01-2004, 01:32 PM
Fito

"Bob G" wrote in message

You should think before posting material which might cause others to
wonder if yah know a damned thing about the animals you say you care
so much about.

Bob

I wont begin to make legitimate argument on a subject a know little about.
Now that I look back at my response I did sound like someone from PETA.
Either way, thanks for your response. It was enlightening. Do I still
believe the chickens are better off unheated? Nah. Are they being hurt? I
wouldnt think not. I guess my view arises from the picture of what -5 degree
feels like. We dont too much of it here in NYC but when we do, Brrr!

Fito

Old 19-01-2004, 03:18 PM

THEY ARE BIRDS FOR GOD'S SAKE!!!!! where do you think the little chickadees,
cardinals, house sparrows, etc are finding heated trees????????? all they need is
seed and open water (which for wild birds is a limiting factor) AND protection from
predators and they are going to do fine in any kinda shed. Ingrid

"Fito" wrote:
What makes you think they are doing great? Try this experiment: Put on
layers of clothing to replicate what you think the chickens are protected
with. Go outside in sub-freezing weather. Sit in an unheated shed. Come back
in the Spring and tell us that you did great and I will believe that the
chickens are ok. Ok?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 19-01-2004, 04:02 PM
simy1

"BrownThumb" wrote in message ...
"Ignoramus3274" wrote in message
I asked this question in misc.rural already, but want to run it by a
few more people. Can meat/fur rabbits survive if they are being fed a
diet that is mostly lawn clippings? I am upset that I waste so much
time and lawn grass due to all this mandatory lawn trimming, and am
thinking about having rabbits between months of May/October, or some
such, and feed them lawn trimmings. will it work?

I lived next door to rabbit-for-food owners for a coupla years. My
understanding from people who raise other livestock is that grass is
not varied enough for much of any animal, all by itself. I'd compost
the grass, use it to grow other things, feed the other things to the
rabbits. My neighbors fed the rabbits all of their edible vegetable kitchen
clippings.

My neighbor too, plus some hay, and the rabbits are fat and healthy.
They are a large family who eat their veggies, so they produce about a
gallon of scraps per day. Some of the stuff is obvious, like carrot
tops, but the rabbits eat bread and apple, potato and banana peels
too. They will happily eat discarded groceries, like half rotten
apples or past -its-prime lettuce. Anything except orange peels or
other weird stuff, like pineapple tops. They do love dandelions and
clover from the yard, but do not care much for clippings, though I
think they will eat them if they are the only green they get. If one
is to serve them scraps and pesticide-free, very fresh grass clippings
(cut grass goes bad in a day) perhaps a little high energy dry food
(like oats) will make their diet balanced. Rabbits really are the
cheapest meat to raise. Too bad the racoons like them as well.
Old 19-01-2004, 08:12 PM
Ignoramus18897

In article NnPOb.100209$na.53251@attbi_s04, Pam - gardengal wrote:

[...]

Will a goat survive on lawn clippings?