Old 02-03-2004, 06:32 AM
Janice

Default NEIGHBORS STEREO destroys serenty of the garden

I can tolerate some noise, but no, I don't much care for heavy bass
music myself. I had neighbors who played Antrhax and their erratic
beat that penetrated my windows/walls/and overrode my tv in the front
of my house..they were behind my house to the side and on the next
street. The beat *literally* made my heart beat irregularly!

I think you, and all the neighbors should get together in a
co-ordinated effort and each time this person start playing music too
loudly too long and those closest to him, all turn their speakers to
the windows or outside even better and in unison, turn yours up as
loud as you can with a wide variety of raucous music that will all
clash and drown him out. When he shuts his off, you shut yours off.
When he turns his on, y'all turn yours on. I think he'll get the
message it's not just YOU and perhaps may get the message. Depending
on the lack of maturity present, it could turn into a stereo system
war, or it'll work. But as long as he thinks it's just you, he
probably never will.

I have an anal retentive neighbor who is bothered by the fact that I
have two older (77 and 81) cars that I don't actually drive much,
since I'm physically unable to do so now, but I have to keep one going
so someone else can drive me to the doc in one of them. I need a low
vehicle to get in and out of and they all have pickups or tiny cars ..
and I'm far from tiny. Both are licensed,the one I drive is insured,
so both are legal. He went so far as to bitch to the city about them.
I saw someone with a clipboard in front of the house looking at a new
addition's to the household vehicle. She went out and talked to him..
and found what was going on. Her vehicle is a recent purchase from
out of state and she's waiting for her title before she can buy
plates. Well they thought it was illegal and I guess it just bunched
this guy's butt up tight, He's a Rich too, and he couldn't stand it
and called the city's code enforcement and the guy saw they were
legal, and in fact had just gone to the hospital the day before to
have blood work, roomie had just gone somewhere and come back in hers.
Inspector said it sounded like someone was just being poopy.

Funny things bother people. I'm certain he hates my yard too as it
has no lawn, I had 5' and 6' tall cosmos last year. I also planted
raspberries in the yard last year, so this year there will be berry
plants out there and he won't like that either. Thing is he's the
neighbor's boyfriend and whenever they get married they're going to
sell out and move and see my house as an eyesore sucking their
property values down. Funny thing is, they didn't mind a bit when
they moved in, as they paid less. LOL

Thing is, they're letting a trash walnut tree grow under the fence..
their fence. And the paint is peeling from their trim and the wood is
starting to show moisture damage. That tree will eventually grow up
into the side of the house and damage it, plus it's poisoning my
grapes, so if they don't kill it, I will.

They know I'm unable to do anything out there, and I guess the guy is
doubly irritated by anything my direction. But he sure ain't offering
any kind of help. But I guess if he continues worrying about this
place I'll point out things he would be better served worrying about
on his side of the fence.

If I were younger and still able to actively garden on my own, then
I'd be playing music loudly too .. to drown out their barking dogs. I
don't like it when they mow their lawn either, stinks of smoke, oil
and dog feces. Nor do I like it when they barbecue, the stench of
lighter fluid smells just like the jet fuel when it spills at the air
port. Then in the winter when they burn stuff, the smoke goes up,
then down right in front of my house. Always stuff that others do
that annoys, but can't get them to fix 'em. I ignore them, they need
to learn to ignore me.

Janice
On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 16:22:29 GMT, Rich wrote:

Dear Mad.

I dunno, maybe I am just in the process of becoming an old fart, lol.
Maybe I should just put an ice pick through my eardrums and be done with
it BG. I guess I am expecting too much out of people...after all , I
AM in New Jersey.

Rich

madgardener wrote:

"Rich" wrote in message

This may not be the right group to ask this question in but I am hoping
some other gardeners have had this problem and found a solution.

a valid question and rant snipped for

space..............................

I love the sounds of nature myself, but had this problem when I lived in the
city on a normal street with neighbors all around me. But the shoe was on
the other foot. It was ME who dragged my speaked outside of the house to aim
them towards the back of my house while I played music to garden by. Nothing
like your neighbors hearing Janis Joplin,Moody Blues, Pink Floyd or Allen
Parsons Project(among others) on a bright, perfect gardening day.

But having said that, and knowing that I cranked it up loud enough to hear
it in the back of the yard where all my raised veggie beds were, I will say
that I lived about a mile from the Cumberland River and across that was
Opryland. And every hour and a half the General Jackson steamboat came down
at the ferry road to turn around in the river.........lots of steamboat
whistles (I did love those, and knowing John Hartford was the Captain made
it special) but the ruckus from Opryland including the fireworks on the 4th
and at season's end, and on humid nights the various sounds were crystal
clear made sleeping hard if you went to bed before the park closed at 11
during peak season.

All around me people owned lawnmowers. The ones with no mufflers. And
weedeaters were just coming into the scene. Gardening and yard maintenance
wasn't the quiet whirrl or a push mower or constant snip snip snip of
pruning shears anymore. I respected my older neighbors and didn't crank my
music up until I was sure everyone was awake. and anyone offended by the
music, I obliged and turned it down. The surrounding city noises usually
made it easier to tolerate. When the neighbor was that rare quiet that
you'd not expect in suburbs, I didn't disrupt it with my music. But that was
just me. And I still cranked it up when it was sunny and nice outside and I
was doing serious garden stuff.

I have talked with the other neighbors and while they HEAR it and find
it annoying they don't want to say anything (are most people deaf or
just sheep?).

People are sheep. That the neighbor near you asked YOU to say something says
people are reluctant to have confrontations anymore. There is no common
decency in a lot of people now. I sat in our truck last night at a light, in
a rural but populated town just 14 miles north of us and due to my cold, had
the window up. From somewhere, the THROB of rap music was apparent, and
despite that I realize I don't live in the city anymore and aren't used to
this, my sensitivity to noise became apparent when I started looking for the
offending vehicle. This town by the way is a college town, but not like
Knoxville with UT, but a smaller, liberal arts college. The throbbing was
audible thru our closed windows and we have a good sound insulation in our
1999 Ford truck. I heard myself repeating my mother. the words came right
out of my mouth and I was appalled............"they're going to be deaf
blasting that crap in their ears"

There has been a gap in politeness Rich. My mother allowed me to listen to
my music, and it was the 60's and early 70's music, and it was disturbing to
her. But I was not allowed to crank it up so loudly that it was broadcast to
the neighbor's next door. It had to be contained within my own room, and my
dad was quick to buy me headphones once he found out they were basically
safe for me to use. And mom would check on me occaisonally to make sure the
volumn level wasn't all the way up. I heard way louder when I went to
concerts later on.g The one time I had my music up loud enough for my
parent's neighbors to hear it and something was said, my dad took my stereo
away from me for a week. It taught me if I abused the privilege of having my
own stereo and right to listen to anything I wanted, I would be punished for
disrespecting other people's similar rights.

Perhaps its because they spend most of the winter shut up

tight (though the music comes through MY windows) and spend the summer
in central air and still keep those windows shut tight. I guess I am
weird, I LIKE fresh air........but now its polluted with noise that is
so unnecessary.

I like fresh air too, and I love my music, but living up here in the country
with nature all around me, and having a 74 year old neighbor up the driveway
reminds me that I can't be disrespectful of her. She doesn't always like my
music and I shouldn't impose my tastes on her. she only hears it when I have
it on outside when she comes down the long driveway and closer to my yard.
And that's not all the time. BTW, I now listen to modern folk, Celtic,
World, some rock, blues, bluegrass,Cajun zydecoe,and a bit of Reggae. I have
a 30 year old son who likes Reggae, and even that gets on my nerves
sometimes..........it's only occaisonally that I listen to Janis. I like
more compilation now. That neighbor hopefully will grow up and mature in his
musical likes.

I have spoken with the police and while there is a town ordinance again
noise above certain decibles, I was told it was rarely
enforced....besides I hate the though of having to call the police on a
neighbor....not only does it go against my principles (though I have to
admit I am ready to throw them out the window in return for some garden
serenty) but it may open a bigger can of worms...a ****ed off neighbor.

You're right about that. If the neighbor insists his rights are being
infringed upon, he won't understand that he's infringing on other's.
Oblivious. Buy the guy some headphones with a 100 foot
jack.........................

now, after a long winded post, my question.........

Have any other gardeners run into a problem like this and how did they
resolve it (besides moving)?

Now regarding this part.........my immediate neighbor next door was a
saxaphone player. And his son played drums. And despite that I love music,
the jams and practices were enough to cause homicide. I made a deal with
them (they liked my music, and across the driveway the other neighbors
didn't mind my music either, but I lothed and hated their country
music.......grew up in Nashville, over it, but because I dragged my speakers
outside to garden sometimes, I felt it wasn't right to ask them to turn
their music down) and they complied most of the time. When they moved, I
talked with the new neighbors and we made a pact of sorts. When Alex was
sleeping, I didn't bring my speakers outside. He'd call out to me to let me
know he was up, and I was free to carry on. When we had parties was another
story all together....GBSEG But most of the time we contained our ruckus
inside. Not too often did the police come by because of music cranked
loudly.

Of course there was the party for Squire and Spider out in Aurora, Colorado
that was called in for loudness, back in 1978 and when they pounded on the
door, I answered it and they stood there with their mouths open looking
confused. This was the era back then of Sidewalk commando's. Aurora was
growing at a rate of 150,000 a year and the cops had attitudes. I lived
with bikers, being a little hippie mama myself...you get my drift. They
were dumbfounded. Apparently the neighbor's next door had called in to
report an extremely raucous and loud party going on at the corner of 16th
and Lima. It was our house. But when I opened up the door to them, they
could barely even hear music, let alone what had been called in.

I told them we did have a party going on, but it was downstairs in the
basement. Because the basement door was closed, and the basement was
underground with just ground level windows, you didn't hear the 40+ bikers
and assorted people partying their asses off below. What the neighbors
heard was the true party when Moose opened one casement window to let out
the smoky air. After that, we kept the windows closed. The police
apologized to me for coming by because obciously it wasn't disturbing the
peace and they went their merry way. Downstairs 40+ bikers drinking two kegs
of beer, rowdying, yelling, stereo cranked up to unbelievable levels of
music, laughter, and basic pandemonium (lots of wasted people that night)
went without a hitch. Had the police heard something louder, they would have
had quite a bust on their hands.................................nothing
major in illegals as much as just that it was a serious biker party. I had
a quad stereo which was unexpected out of a chick in those days, and over
3000 albums so I was always the dj............g

The next morning by the way, there was 3 inches of beer on the floor, and a
trashcan of broken beer bottles once we trashed and cleaned the basement
party room up. It took a long box for the clean up.....And I have pictures
of everyone soaked in beer during that party, too. Everyone's hair looked
wonderful for a few days GBSEG (my boys slept thru the whole thing once
I was able to get them to GO to sleep, parties always wired them up)

(and a last minute thought though it should be saved for a different
post).........I noted this am a whole row of 10' Leyland cypress are
turing light green a brittle.........what is going ON this winter?

My husband pointed out pits in our truck windshield yesterday and told me it
was volcanic acid rain that was pitting the windshield. Apparently there's
been quite a bit of it lately. And windshield glass isn't totally glass so
it pits with volcanic acid rain. If you're in the city, you're also getting
problems in the moisture from the emmisions from our cars, factories and
such. Sad to think we're polluting this planet faster than it can heal. I
won't soapbox on this one...........

What

the deer don't eat, the wet soggy/frozen ground is rotting
roots...anyone having this problem?

Up in the Smokies, because there are so many more tourists and cars, they're
seeing more effects in the trees and such from the pollution. (the area has
no car emissions control). Add to that, that anthrachnose has decimated a
large portion of the dogwood population, pine beetles are killing the Jack
pines at alarming rates, and the devistation of the trees from gypsy
moths.........well Nature goes marching on....................

Thus far I have lost a 20' weeping

nootkantensis and the deer have eaten over 10 hemlocks, 16 arborvitae
and utterly destroyed every euonymous I own (owned)...

sounds like time to have some deer in the freezer..................if we
don't thin the herds down (there are no preditors in the city except for us,
and that responsibility falls to us to maintain a balance) you'll suffer
from the excess and overfed states of them by more incidents of lime disease
and accidents.
nuff said.
madgardener

rich haynes

Old 02-03-2004, 07:02 AM
Janice

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 18:15:26 GMT, Salty Thumb
wrote:

Rich wrote in news:Szl0c.12998$TF2.971
:

This may not be the right group to ask this question in but I am hoping
some other gardeners have had this problem and found a solution.

I've got a neighbor across the street that apparently likes to
garden/maintain his house to the beat of a drummer (not a diffeernt
drummer, just a drummmer and a 28 piece band BG)..to enhance his
listening pleasure he has installed outdoor speakers. HE enjoys it but
(he did this as the weather was getting cold late last year (I am in
northern NJ)and now with some warmer days happening, so is his 6-8 hour
marathons of music) The noise makes the thought of gardening in peace a
thing of the past for me. I have lived here for 14 years on a dead end
street and its quite peaceful, or WAS until this character decided that
his music must be shared with the world. I am perplexed that people
cannot just enjoy the sounds of nature when working outside. Yeah
sometimes I want to listen to some music myself but I use wireless
headphones and no one knows I am listening to The Beatles as loud as I
did when I was a thoughtless teenager. I mentioned this to him after a
another neighbor (right across the street from him) called me to ask if
I would speak to this individual about the loud music. That is when I
heard "hey I have the right to play my music during the
daytime".....apparently the concept of other peoples right to quiet is
beyond his comprehension.OR he just doesn't give a S***~ which is more
likely the case.

I have talked with the other neighbors and while they HEAR it and find
it annoying they don't want to say anything (are most people deaf or
just sheep?). Perhaps its because they spend most of the winter shut up
[...]

turing light green a brittle.........what is going ON this winter? What
the deer don't eat, the wet soggy/frozen ground is rotting
roots...anyone having this problem? Thus far I have lost a 20' weeping
nootkantensis and the deer have eaten over 10 hemlocks, 16 arborvitae
and utterly destroyed every euonymous I own (owned)...

rich haynes

This post has been rated PG-13. Parental guidance is suggested.

As a Man, you always hate go ask somebody else for help or admit to
yourself you can't handle a problem the masculine way, viz. go over and
knock your neighbor's skull open, or at least shove a dirk in his ribs and
break off the handle. However, civilized people supposedly don't act that
way, and upon reflection, I guess it wouldn't make me too happy if an
crazed neighbor came over wielding a brace of ginsu knives he finally
discovered a use for. Cleaning the mess up later would be quite a hassle,
as well as needing to go get tested for blood diseases and keeping certain
peoples off their doughnut breaks with all the questioning.

So rather than rationalizing your right to action and dropping a couple of
bombs on your neighbor just because you can, I suggest you find out exactly
what the legal decibel limit is, and be prepared to learn something about
sound, as measuring devices may vary in their attentuation of certain
frequencies, find out if your neighbor is in violation. If so, you may
proceed to the next phase, which may require more gump than you have,
certainly more gump than your neighbors and you should be prepared to face
the possiblity that you will fail, but also the possibility that you will
succeed. You will want to document every violation, and even be prepared
to make a nuisance of yourself to the police, who likely will not do
anything unless they witness the violation

In my town, the laws are such that the police cannot do anything about
"disturbing the police" type of violations as the law says the
officers have no peace to be disturbed. It is up to those who are
being disturbed to be willing to file a complaint.

Now, the city code enforcement folks are a different story. If there
are measurable codes being broken, they can an will issue tickets.

So, if you can measure the noise and document it. Get your camcorder
out, do a little documentary, Talk about the problem, go out with the
meter turn it on, record the reading. Turn on a tape recorder tape
it.. talk about it, take a reading.. but the video tape is better,
turn on the date/time stamp if it has one. Record something from tv
at that point on in the background as you prepare to go out that backs
up the date..like cnn or news or something that shows a date/time if
you bring up the channel/date/time description as to what the program
you're watching is. Anything to establish the time and day other than
the date/time on the cam corder as they can say it was doctored.. that
and the tv show showing you bringing up the ID from cable or satellite
if you have either.. is just another thing. Documentations .. more
than one. Calling the weather report recording showing you dial it
and hold up the receiver to the mic.. whatever it takes. Establish
the date and time, record what you hear inside, outside, record the
decibel meter, and do it repeatedly to back up your complaints that
it's frequent and illegally loud, and redocument it over time .. 8
a.m. 8:30, 9:00, 10:00 a.m. etc keep showing it's still going on for
long periods of time, and happens over days, weeks, not just an
exceptional situation.

Documentation, documentation, documentation.. and a willingness to
sign a complaint if you don't have city code enforcement that carries
more of a punch. If you don't have the laws you want, then approach
the city council, mayor's office etc. Just keep in mind, you too can
be caught in the web. Make sure YOU are violating no city codes when
you call, as there are many rules we all break all the time because
they're not enforced. Here it's against city code to have garbage
cans out more than 24 hours before and after pickup, and that's
ANYWHERE they are visible. Lawnmowers cannot be out unless being
used, they have to be in a shed with the garbage cans along with any
yard rakes, shovels,etc. Your hoses can't be out if not in use. You
can't have anything planted in a row, to act as a screen or barrier
more than 1 foot above grade, around your property line you can have
plants that form a barrier/fence/hedge no more than 3' tall if solid,
4' tall if there are spaces between them. You cannot plant these
plants where the perceived property lines are either, but where the
highway district's easement is, which is 5' in from the sidewalk in my
neighborhood. Everyone's fences are out further than that here, some
have taller hedges, but there were here before the city arrived .

So, find out what the rules are and make sure you're not violating any
of them or it can blow back in your face before it's over.

Janice

and have suitable measuring
devices on hand. You could always ask them to leave a note, though. After
nothing happens and you have accumulated enough evidence, you can take your
case to the local magistrate and have a court order placed on your
neighbor. You may wish to inquire ahead of time what is suitable as
evidence. (If they will not, you escalate your case and sue the locality
for selective/none enforcement of laws). This will likely **** off your
neighbor, but he, being an unreasonable person, isn't someone you want as a
friend anyway. However, your other neighbors may appreciate you and sing
"hail to the chief" whenever they see you. Your noisy neighbor, having
lost his only source of solace in world, will after a time been become
deranged and one day march on your house with murderous intent, bearing his
wedding gift, a brace of ginsu knives. You may then take that opportunity
to gun him down. Later, a bevy of gorgeous young women who enjoy nude
sunbathing will move into the vacated premises, which can now be had a
bargain price due to the unfortunate circumstances. You live happily ever
after.

Good luck

Old 02-03-2004, 01:03 PM
Rich

Snooze wrote:
"David J Bockman" wrote in message

What happened to

5. Talk to your neighbor like a reasonable adult?

The original poster said already they attempted that, and failed.

Sameer

Yup, he said he thought he had the right to play whatever he wanted as
long as it was not at night. That sort of takes the fun out of weeding
and listening to the birds and feeling the sunlight BG

rich (the original poster)

Old 02-03-2004, 05:32 PM
Betsy

Having been there and tried that with two former neighbors, I can attest
that it only works if the neighbor IS a reasonable adult.

You can try, but if you have any suspicions about a negative reaction then I
would not personally attempt it. But then, I'm a bit gun shy after my
former experiences.

"David J Bockman" wrote in message
What happened to

5. Talk to your neighbor like a reasonable adult?

Dave

"Snooze" wrote in message
. com...
You basicly have 4 choices:
1: put up with it and hope they move soon
2: call the police and report noise pollution, and hope they'll do

something
about it. The police are usually reluctant to get involved with that

they
percieve as neighboorhood feuds.
3: legal action?
4: fight fire with fire. People who like the beetles, probably don't

like
garth brooks. Play that equally loud

Sameer

Old 03-03-2004, 04:32 AM
madgardener

LOL Shine on you Crazy Diamond.....................................GBSEG
madgardener
"junkyardcat" wrote in message
You think that's bad....Imagine hearing Mexican polka ALL weekend,

sometimes
ALL night, LOL! We have 11 acres and live in the middle of them. On one

side
(about 5 acres away from our house) we have Hispanic neighbors that have 7
mobiles homes set up behind their own home. As soon as the weekend hits,

you
hear the base boom boom boom of Mexican Polka...ALL DAY LONG! My
solution.....I haul my speakers outside and throw some Pink Floyd on and
turn up the volume as high as it'll go! Usually they get the hint and turn
theirs down a bit

If it bothers you too much, get yourself a walkman and some nature tapes

Happy Gardening
Angie

Old 03-03-2004, 05:02 AM
Rich

Zemedelec wrote:
A fifth idea: hang a lot of wind chimes. They drive most people except the
owners crazy.
zemedelec

****************************
I only WISH this were true.........you cannot hear windchimes much more
than 50', I have over 40 of them throughout the garden including a 6'
bass chime that while loud when you stand near it, cannot be heard from
my neighbors yard (I checked).

rich
Old 03-03-2004, 05:07 AM
David J Bockman

Oh ok, my fault for not paying attention. If it were me, I would speak to
him one more time, and clearly, firmly, but in a non-hostile way spell out
that he has forced an escalation. Tell him you don't *want* to get the
authorities involved, that you'd much rather come to a mutually agreeable
arrangement.

Dave

Old 03-03-2004, 05:33 PM
tmtresh

Like, maybe, Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and half of Sunday, you can play
music. The other days I can garden in peace :-)

Old 03-03-2004, 08:32 PM
escapee

I don't know what is wrong with people these days. Is it getting worse and
worse? I mean, America and American people seem to be civilized, but in a
barbaric way. Isn't anyone left who actually has respect for others' wishes or
anyone left with a modicum of decency? Boggling.

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 11:28:21 -0500, "Betsy" -0 opined:

Having been there and tried that with two former neighbors, I can attest
that it only works if the neighbor IS a reasonable adult.

You can try, but if you have any suspicions about a negative reaction then I
would not personally attempt it. But then, I'm a bit gun shy after my
former experiences.

.. .

Old 03-03-2004, 09:15 PM
Shell

I agree with you, and there are some great teachers out there. Part of the
problem is parents who don't want the responsibility of teaching thier kids
because the kids interfere with thier lifestyle or they just plain don't
care. Fortunately some kid learn good manners and politeness and compassion
inspite of thier parents. There are 6 teachers, 1 ex-superintendent of
schools (my dad), and several professors and even a few owners of private
schools in my family.

Shell
wrote in message
excuse me... it is not the teachers responsibility to teach children how

to be polite
or how to behave. that is what their parents are for, they had em, they

should teach
em to behave and have respect.
My husband teaches high school and some of these kids dont know how to

shut their
mouths for 5 minutes. they cant stop talking, they dont know how to sit

still for 5
minutes. they were raised with absolutely no discipline. this is a

public CITY high
school, but the teachers in the burbs are saying the same thing about

their students.

I teach university kids and while they are somewhat more behaved they also

cheat
their asses off and very damn few of them were taught discipline at all.

and this
is a Catholic University. Ingrid

"Shell" wrote:
There is no politeness anymore and most people think only of themselves

and
thier own gratification. Sad but it's what the schools seem to be

teaching now.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com