Old 05-03-2004, 12:47 PM
Salty Thumb

Default NEIGHBORS STEREO destroys serenty of the garden

Rich wrote in
:

Salty Thumb wrote:

Janice wrote in
:

So, nope not a lot of folks who aren't hostile, and since they won't
calm down and talk, just continue to make the USA the most litigious
country around! ;-)

I despise lawyers, so if the OP (Rich?) doesn't go the magistrate
route (which shouldn't require any lawyers per so), and if he's
upwind, an alternative would be to start gardening with chicken
shiiiii ... "manure". But this will pretty much put the ix-nay on
any hot bikini girls celebrating in the area.

**************
Well, my neightbor directly next door IS an ex model and DOES
sometimes sunbathe.........I wouldn't want to offend her bathing
sessions BG

Rich

Man, some people have all the luck. ;-)
Old 05-03-2004, 11:34 PM
Beecrofter

The more I think about it the more inclined I would be to make the
speakers disappear.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:49 PM
Beecrofter

Old 06-03-2004, 12:27 AM
Beecrofter

Old 08-03-2004, 02:32 PM
enigma

Janet Baraclough wrote in
:

The message
from Janice contains
these words:

Well I'm 52, always been fat, so it's rare that I come
across people who *are* decent, mature, and considerate
;-)

That doesn't make sense. Are you saying decent mature
considerate
people avoid you?

i think she's saying it's really rare to meet anyone that
doesn't prejudge her by her weight, age or general appearance.
while Americans tend to be the most overweight, they still
treat overweight people like crap. my ex-SIL weighs close to
300 pounds & is 5'6" tall...yet she constantly demeans 'fat
people'. it's funny in a very sad way.
most Americans have been brought up with a sense of
entitlement & have *no* consideration for anyone but
themselves. it's becoming more & more noticable as the
children of the 'self-esteem above all else' generation
started reaching adulthood.
lee

Old 09-03-2004, 08:42 AM
Janice

On 8 Mar 2004 14:05:28 GMT, enigma wrote:

Janet Baraclough wrote in
:

[...]

Yup pretty close, but what I never cease to be amazed at is how
incredibly immature supposed adults can be, and it was when I was
still a teenager, around 245.. looked 180, sure big, but not so big as
to be someone unusual as there are a lot of people in that range,
especially now. I was walking along a street after getting off a bus,
across from a car dealership, the showroom long and glass all the way,
and I watched a fellow suddenly startle, and jump and RUN the full
length from one end to the front doors, slip on the rug and nearly
Fall just to get outside to YELL across the street at me, something
about my state of fatness. I remember just chuckling and shaking my
head and saying to myself.. and *this* is an "adult". I was about 16.

The fellow.. I don't know how old he was, but certainly much older
than I was, he was working in some capacity where he got to wear a
suit, so probably a salesman.

Another time many years later, I was walking about 7:00 a.m. to my
first day of work, at my first "real job" and a fellow somewhere in
his Late 50's I'd figure is walking down the alleyway toward me and
he's walking kind of hunched, hands in his pockets, He says to me: I
hear they're looking for models for mumus at the Bon, and when I
didn't react to that the way he wanted, he just laid his ugliness bare
by saying: "Don't you know how ugly you are to us, you shouldn't even
leave your house so we wouldn't have to see you." Well I never have
been quick on the uptake when people behave that way, why I don't know
since it has happened often enough. I was too slow, but I was just
shaking my head again. I thought, I should have said: Ugly is as ugly
does, and I can diet, but you're ugly to the bone. But instead I just
kind of laughed and went in and said.. geee great start to my day....

It's that kind of unprovoked . other than by breathing and being in
the world.. behavior that makes me wonder just how many people *are*
reasonable or mature. How many people would qualify if they were
doing selective breeding with humans. Yeah I know.. Hitler tried it,
etc etc. But.. I knew when I was a kid I didn't want any, as I did now
want to pass on my weight issues, and I didn't like kids even when I
was one! So I removed myself from the gene pool! Unfortunately the
worst ones remain polluting the gene pool! Everybody out! someone
pooped in the gene pool! LOL

Old 29-03-2004, 07:02 AM
occupant

I live in a noisy city but grew up in a small quiet town. The world
isn't perfect. But you know that.
I am a quiet neighbour but have a very messy, ugly yard. Lived here
nearly 30 years. Every neighbour has been a problem (and I a problem to
them) of sorts but all different. Pick your poison.
Here are some!

- guy did drugs and was always unstable
- guy had dog that produced waste beyond belief on their property and
mine till I put up a fence
till he moved out.
- woman drank heavily, nasty, played loud stereo on hot summer nights
and danced with found men, not
as nice as it seems. She reported me to the city for the messy yard. I
got a letter from the city
saying problem of tire, debris, etc. I said to the city there is no law
against tires and wood, is there?
How many tire can I have and how do you want me to stack them within the
bylaws? Same for the wood. The guy
at city hall stammered and I never heard another word from the city.
- man from foreign country yelled at his wife and kids in such a loud
voice that I could hear him indoors
with my windows closed.
- guy across the street stole blue tarps covering my yard - took a
couple of years to figure out who did it or that i even knew the person.
- woman feed wildlife that attracted rats and skunks in large numbers.
- crazy postal woman dragged her dog to my property for their daily
excrement deposit.
-newest neighbour from a foreign country paces in front of the windows
for hours looking out. I am already a paranoid person. Being watched
could drive me nuts!

Look at the bigger picture and consider.
In my case all my neighbour are rents - mostly apartments - their stay
is mostly 5 year max.

How old are you? How long before you sell or move?
How old is the neighbour? How long before he sells or moves?
The average life is only 20,000 days. Worst yet people don't change,
they move or die, good and bad.
The reason people move into the country is to avoid the noise. But the
noise follows them.

The rich have it made because they can buy anything they want. But then
they have bigger overhead and have to work all the time to keep the
perfect location ready for their next visit. Again not a perfect world.

Solution: Earplugs. Garden at night by floodlight. Play music you
like just as loud (not recommended). Or play music nobody likes (again
not recommended) so he can hear it. Playing the opera Madam Butterfly
to this guy should work well. This works by the way when I hear people
talking loudly on a cell phone in a restaurant, bus or any other
confined space. Looking at them sometimes works. But repeating every
word they say so they can hear it as they are talking works wonders. Or
pretend you have a cell phone (using your formed fist - and index finger
as a antenna) and pretend you are talking to another person but describe
the cell phone person and her/his conversation loud enough so they can
hear you works. Last but not least, speak to them and tell them that
unless they are talking about sex or their sex life, you don't want to
be able to hear them. All of those work and work well.

There is always a way to bring home the message, it just takes a little
testing and some ingenuity.
You could BBQ rotten fish 8 hrs a day. Think of how you can barter
quiet moments with this guy. Find out his likes and dislikes from him
in conversation or from other neighbours. Nothing works on a conscience
better than seeing good human qualities in the other person. When we
see the whole person and get to know them, we see how we can influence
them and how to enjoy their best qualities. If the neighbour makes good
beer or wine, something you like, his stereo suddenly seems a lot
quieter.

Rich wrote:

This may not be the right group to ask this question in but I am hoping
some other gardeners have had this problem and found a solution.

I've got a neighbor across the street that apparently likes to
garden/maintain his house to the beat of a drummer (not a diffeernt
drummer, just a drummmer and a 28 piece band BG)..to enhance his
listening pleasure he has installed outdoor speakers. HE enjoys it but
(he did this as the weather was getting cold late last year (I am in
northern NJ)and now with some warmer days happening, so is his 6-8 hour
marathons of music) The noise makes the thought of gardening in peace a
thing of the past for me. I have lived here for 14 years on a dead end
street and its quite peaceful, or WAS until this character decided that
his music must be shared with the world. I am perplexed that people
cannot just enjoy the sounds of nature when working outside. Yeah
sometimes I want to listen to some music myself but I use wireless
headphones and no one knows I am listening to The Beatles as loud as I
did when I was a thoughtless teenager. I mentioned this to him after a
another neighbor (right across the street from him) called me to ask if
I would speak to this individual about the loud music. That is when I
heard "hey I have the right to play my music during the
daytime".....apparently the concept of other peoples right to quiet is
beyond his comprehension.OR he just doesn't give a S***~ which is more
likely the case.

I have talked with the other neighbors and while they HEAR it and find
it annoying they don't want to say anything (are most people deaf or
just sheep?). Perhaps its because they spend most of the winter shut up
tight (though the music comes through MY windows) and spend the summer
in central air and still keep those windows shut tight. I guess I am
weird, I LIKE fresh air........but now its polluted with noise that is
so unnecessary.

I have spoken with the police and while there is a town ordinance again
noise above certain decibles, I was told it was rarely
enforced....besides I hate the though of having to call the police on a
neighbor....not only does it go against my principles (though I have to
admit I am ready to throw them out the window in return for some garden
serenty) but it may open a bigger can of worms...a ****ed off neighbor.

now, after a long winded post, my question.........

Have any other gardeners run into a problem like this and how did they
resolve it (besides moving)?

(and a last minute thought though it should be saved for a different
post).........I noted this am a whole row of 10' Leyland cypress are
turing light green a brittle.........what is going ON this winter? What
the deer don't eat, the wet soggy/frozen ground is rotting
roots...anyone having this problem? Thus far I have lost a 20' weeping
nootkantensis and the deer have eaten over 10 hemlocks, 16 arborvitae
and utterly destroyed every euonymous I own (owned)...

rich haynes

Old 30-03-2004, 01:02 AM
William Wagner

In article ,
occupant wrote:

I live in a noisy city but grew up in a small quiet town. The world
isn't perfect. But you know that.
I am a quiet neighbour but have a very messy, ugly yard. Lived here
nearly 30 years. Every neighbour has been a problem (and I a problem to
them) of sorts but all different. Pick your poison.
Here are some!

Loved your post!

I've had similar joy and try to deal with it as a flaw of mine. Failed
often when puppies bark at me when I raise a fork. (Pit bulls) tried
wolf **** to scare them away which they loved to roll in. You figure.
Made friends with one who still barks at me to he licks my hand thru the
fence. Other's seem more protective???

Rotten fish bbq... Your not a nice person!

If ever in S Jersey let me know.

Bill