Old 29-02-2004, 06:42 PM
Warren

Default NEIGHBORS STEREO destroys serenty of the garden

Rich wrote:

I have talked with the other neighbors and while they HEAR it and find
it annoying they don't want to say anything (are most people deaf or
just sheep?).

Invite some of the sheep over to your house for tea. Once they're there,
bring up the speaker guy. Let everyone chime in about how they don't
like it, and then suggest that you all go over to the guy's house
together to let him know it's not just you that's annoyed.

Another thought: If he doesn't live alone, approach someone else who
lives in the house.

And one last idea: Put up a six-foot privacy fence entirely on your side
of the lot line, and have the side facing him covered with some ugly
sound absorbing material. Let him know that the ugly crap facing his
house is because he makes too much noise, but you'd be happy to take it
down if he stopped making noise.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Blatant Plug: Spend your Amazon gift certificates he
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/associateshop.html

Old 29-02-2004, 06:44 PM
Salty Thumb

Rich wrote in news:Szl0c.12998$TF2.971
@nwrdny02.gnilink.net:

This may not be the right group to ask this question in but I am hoping
some other gardeners have had this problem and found a solution.

I've got a neighbor across the street that apparently likes to
garden/maintain his house to the beat of a drummer (not a diffeernt
drummer, just a drummmer and a 28 piece band BG)..to enhance his
listening pleasure he has installed outdoor speakers. HE enjoys it but
(he did this as the weather was getting cold late last year (I am in
northern NJ)and now with some warmer days happening, so is his 6-8 hour
marathons of music) The noise makes the thought of gardening in peace a
thing of the past for me. I have lived here for 14 years on a dead end
street and its quite peaceful, or WAS until this character decided that
his music must be shared with the world. I am perplexed that people
cannot just enjoy the sounds of nature when working outside. Yeah
sometimes I want to listen to some music myself but I use wireless
headphones and no one knows I am listening to The Beatles as loud as I
did when I was a thoughtless teenager. I mentioned this to him after a
another neighbor (right across the street from him) called me to ask if
I would speak to this individual about the loud music. That is when I
heard "hey I have the right to play my music during the
daytime".....apparently the concept of other peoples right to quiet is
beyond his comprehension.OR he just doesn't give a S***~ which is more
likely the case.

I have talked with the other neighbors and while they HEAR it and find
it annoying they don't want to say anything (are most people deaf or
just sheep?). Perhaps its because they spend most of the winter shut up
tight (though the music comes through MY windows) and spend the summer
in central air and still keep those windows shut tight. I guess I am
weird, I LIKE fresh air........but now its polluted with noise that is
so unnecessary.

I have spoken with the police and while there is a town ordinance again
noise above certain decibles, I was told it was rarely
enforced....besides I hate the though of having to call the police on a
neighbor....not only does it go against my principles (though I have to
admit I am ready to throw them out the window in return for some garden
serenty) but it may open a bigger can of worms...a ****ed off neighbor.

now, after a long winded post, my question.........

Have any other gardeners run into a problem like this and how did they
resolve it (besides moving)?

(and a last minute thought though it should be saved for a different
post).........I noted this am a whole row of 10' Leyland cypress are
turing light green a brittle.........what is going ON this winter? What
the deer don't eat, the wet soggy/frozen ground is rotting
roots...anyone having this problem? Thus far I have lost a 20' weeping
nootkantensis and the deer have eaten over 10 hemlocks, 16 arborvitae
and utterly destroyed every euonymous I own (owned)...

rich haynes

This post has been rated PG-13. Parental guidance is suggested.

As a Man, you always hate go ask somebody else for help or admit to
yourself you can't handle a problem the masculine way, viz. go over and
knock your neighbor's skull open, or at least shove a dirk in his ribs and
break off the handle. However, civilized people supposedly don't act that
way, and upon reflection, I guess it wouldn't make me too happy if an
crazed neighbor came over wielding a brace of ginsu knives he finally
discovered a use for. Cleaning the mess up later would be quite a hassle,
as well as needing to go get tested for blood diseases and keeping certain
peoples off their doughnut breaks with all the questioning.

So rather than rationalizing your right to action and dropping a couple of
bombs on your neighbor just because you can, I suggest you find out exactly
what the legal decibel limit is, and be prepared to learn something about
sound, as measuring devices may vary in their attentuation of certain
frequencies, find out if your neighbor is in violation. If so, you may
proceed to the next phase, which may require more gump than you have,
certainly more gump than your neighbors and you should be prepared to face
the possiblity that you will fail, but also the possibility that you will
succeed. You will want to document every violation, and even be prepared
to make a nuisance of yourself to the police, who likely will not do
anything unless they witness the violation and have suitable measuring
devices on hand. You could always ask them to leave a note, though. After
nothing happens and you have accumulated enough evidence, you can take your
case to the local magistrate and have a court order placed on your
neighbor. You may wish to inquire ahead of time what is suitable as
evidence. (If they will not, you escalate your case and sue the locality
for selective/none enforcement of laws). This will likely **** off your
neighbor, but he, being an unreasonable person, isn't someone you want as a
friend anyway. However, your other neighbors may appreciate you and sing
"hail to the chief" whenever they see you. Your noisy neighbor, having
lost his only source of solace in world, will after a time been become
deranged and one day march on your house with murderous intent, bearing his
wedding gift, a brace of ginsu knives. You may then take that opportunity
to gun him down. Later, a bevy of gorgeous young women who enjoy nude
sunbathing will move into the vacated premises, which can now be had a
bargain price due to the unfortunate circumstances. You live happily ever
after.

Good luck

Old 29-02-2004, 07:21 PM
Shell

"madgardener" wrote in message

"Rich" wrote in message
This may not be the right group to ask this question in but I am hoping
some other gardeners have had this problem and found a solution.
a valid question and rant snipped for

space..............................

I love the sounds of nature myself, but had this problem when I lived in

the
city on a normal street with neighbors all around me. But the shoe was on
the other foot. It was ME who dragged my speaked outside of the house to

aim
them towards the back of my house while I played music to garden by.

Nothing
like your neighbors hearing Janis Joplin,Moody Blues, Pink Floyd or Allen
Parsons Project(among others) on a bright, perfect gardening day.

Hmmm sounds familiar I worked in a record shop all through high school
and I listened to
everything from Yes to Z Z Top to Bach. Especially since the record
companies gave away free
records (cheap is good but free is better)

But having said that, and knowing that I cranked it up loud enough to hear
it in the back of the yard where all my raised veggie beds were, I will

say
that I lived about a mile from the Cumberland River and across that was
Opryland. And every hour and a half the General Jackson steamboat came

down
at the ferry road to turn around in the river.........lots of steamboat
whistles (I did love those, and knowing John Hartford was the Captain made
it special) but the ruckus from Opryland including the fireworks on the

4th
and at season's end, and on humid nights the various sounds were crystal
clear made sleeping hard if you went to bed before the park closed at 11
during peak season.

I turn my music up but not so loud it sounds like you're under the speakers
three houses
away And I try to not annoy the neighbors. Mostly I have earphones and
a walkman outside.

All around me people owned lawnmowers. The ones with no mufflers. And
weedeaters were just coming into the scene. Gardening and yard maintenance
wasn't the quiet whirrl or a push mower or constant snip snip snip of
pruning shears anymore. I respected my older neighbors and didn't crank

my
music up until I was sure everyone was awake. and anyone offended by the
music, I obliged and turned it down. The surrounding city noises usually
made it easier to tolerate. When the neighbor was that rare quiet that
you'd not expect in suburbs, I didn't disrupt it with my music. But that

was
just me. And I still cranked it up when it was sunny and nice outside and

was doing serious garden stuff.

We have a neighbor who likes to cut the grass around 6:30 am during the
spring and summer,
with the loudest mower on the planet. She's pretty fast though so we just
ignore her

I have talked with the other neighbors and while they HEAR it and find
it annoying they don't want to say anything (are most people deaf or
just sheep?).

People are sheep. That the neighbor near you asked YOU to say something

says
people are reluctant to have confrontations anymore. There is no common
decency in a lot of people now. I sat in our truck last night at a light,

in
a rural but populated town just 14 miles north of us and due to my cold,

had
the window up. From somewhere, the THROB of rap music was apparent, and
despite that I realize I don't live in the city anymore and aren't used to
this, my sensitivity to noise became apparent when I started looking for

the
offending vehicle. This town by the way is a college town, but not like
Knoxville with UT, but a smaller, liberal arts college. The throbbing was
audible thru our closed windows and we have a good sound insulation in our
1999 Ford truck. I heard myself repeating my mother. the words came right
out of my mouth and I was appalled............"they're going to be deaf
blasting that crap in their ears"

Boy you got that right about people being sheep
Around here the loud music from cars is either rap or country, in which case
it's
a loud throbbing or a loud whiney sound (obviousy I'm not a big country fan)
Have
you ever noticed that these kids all have this dazed expression, kind of
like shell shock?

There has been a gap in politeness Rich. My mother allowed me to listen to
my music, and it was the 60's and early 70's music, and it was disturbing

her. But I was not allowed to crank it up so loudly that it was broadcast

the neighbor's next door. It had to be contained within my own room, and

my
dad was quick to buy me headphones once he found out they were basically
safe for me to use. And mom would check on me occaisonally to make sure

the
volumn level wasn't all the way up. I heard way louder when I went to
concerts later on.g The one time I had my music up loud enough for my
parent's neighbors to hear it and something was said, my dad took my

stereo
away from me for a week. It taught me if I abused the privilege of having

my
own stereo and right to listen to anything I wanted, I would be punished

for
disrespecting other people's similar rights.

There is no politeness anymore and most people think only of themselves and
thier
own gratification. Sad but it's what the schools seem to be teaching now.

Perhaps its because they spend most of the winter shut up
tight (though the music comes through MY windows) and spend the summer
in central air and still keep those windows shut tight. I guess I am
weird, I LIKE fresh air........but now its polluted with noise that is
so unnecessary.

I like fresh air too, and I love my music, but living up here in the

country
with nature all around me, and having a 74 year old neighbor up the

driveway
reminds me that I can't be disrespectful of her. She doesn't always like

my
music and I shouldn't impose my tastes on her. she only hears it when I

have
it on outside when she comes down the long driveway and closer to my yard.
And that's not all the time. BTW, I now listen to modern folk, Celtic,
World, some rock, blues, bluegrass,Cajun zydecoe,and a bit of Reggae. I

have
a 30 year old son who likes Reggae, and even that gets on my nerves
sometimes..........it's only occaisonally that I listen to Janis. I like
more compilation now. That neighbor hopefully will grow up and mature in

his
musical likes.

Your taste in music sounds remarkably familiar I was fortunate to grow
up in a house
where we listened to just about every kind of music possible. When I was a
teenager my
mom and I had similar taste in music She was big on Rod Stewart and
liked some of
David Lee Roth's stuff. Now she likes some stuff like Vangelis and some of
the World music,
and Cajun For me it's all sorts of music as long as it can transport me
from the everyday
stuff

I have spoken with the police and while there is a town ordinance again
noise above certain decibles, I was told it was rarely
enforced....besides I hate the though of having to call the police on a
neighbor....not only does it go against my principles (though I have to
admit I am ready to throw them out the window in return for some garden
serenty) but it may open a bigger can of worms...a ****ed off neighbor.

You're right about that. If the neighbor insists his rights are being
infringed upon, he won't understand that he's infringing on other's.
Oblivious. Buy the guy some headphones with a 100 foot
jack.........................

now, after a long winded post, my question.........

Have any other gardeners run into a problem like this and how did they
resolve it (besides moving)?

Now regarding this part.........my immediate neighbor next door was a
saxaphone player. And his son played drums. And despite that I love music,
the jams and practices were enough to cause homicide. I made a deal with
them (they liked my music, and across the driveway the other neighbors
didn't mind my music either, but I lothed and hated their country
music.......grew up in Nashville, over it, but because I dragged my

speakers
outside to garden sometimes, I felt it wasn't right to ask them to turn
their music down) and they complied most of the time. When they moved, I
talked with the new neighbors and we made a pact of sorts. When Alex was
sleeping, I didn't bring my speakers outside. He'd call out to me to let

me
know he was up, and I was free to carry on. When we had parties was

another
story all together....GBSEG But most of the time we contained our

ruckus
inside. Not too often did the police come by because of music cranked
loudly.

With our budding rap group across the street it was practice from 12 pm to
about 3 am
Every day. I can deal with someone having a band and practicing a couple of
hours, but this
just got to be rediculous. They needed to go rent practice space if they
were serioud about it.
All my friends were in bands and never did they impose 12 to 15 hours of
thier rehearsing on
anyone.

Of course there was the party for Squire and Spider out in Aurora,

Colorado
that was called in for loudness, back in 1978 and when they pounded on the
door, I answered it and they stood there with their mouths open looking
confused. This was the era back then of Sidewalk commando's. Aurora was
growing at a rate of 150,000 a year and the cops had attitudes. I lived
with bikers, being a little hippie mama myself...you get my drift. They
were dumbfounded. Apparently the neighbor's next door had called in to
report an extremely raucous and loud party going on at the corner of 16th
and Lima. It was our house. But when I opened up the door to them, they
could barely even hear music, let alone what had been called in.

I told them we did have a party going on, but it was downstairs in the
basement. Because the basement door was closed, and the basement was
underground with just ground level windows, you didn't hear the 40+ bikers
and assorted people partying their asses off below. What the neighbors
heard was the true party when Moose opened one casement window to let out
the smoky air. After that, we kept the windows closed. The police
apologized to me for coming by because obciously it wasn't disturbing the
peace and they went their merry way. Downstairs 40+ bikers drinking two

kegs
of beer, rowdying, yelling, stereo cranked up to unbelievable levels of
music, laughter, and basic pandemonium (lots of wasted people that night)
went without a hitch. Had the police heard something louder, they would

have
had quite a bust on their hands.................................nothing
major in illegals as much as just that it was a serious biker party. I

had
a quad stereo which was unexpected out of a chick in those days, and over
3000 albums so I was always the dj............g

The next morning by the way, there was 3 inches of beer on the floor, and

trashcan of broken beer bottles once we trashed and cleaned the basement
party room up. It took a long box for the clean up.....And I have pictures
of everyone soaked in beer during that party, too. Everyone's hair looked
wonderful for a few days GBSEG (my boys slept thru the whole thing

once
I was able to get them to GO to sleep, parties always wired them up)

LOL Most of the bikers I've known have been nice, polite, considerate
people.
Generally it's the biker wannabe's who are obnoxious.

(and a last minute thought though it should be saved for a different
post).........I noted this am a whole row of 10' Leyland cypress are
turing light green a brittle.........what is going ON this winter?

My husband pointed out pits in our truck windshield yesterday and told me

it
was volcanic acid rain that was pitting the windshield. Apparently

there's
been quite a bit of it lately. And windshield glass isn't totally glass

so
it pits with volcanic acid rain. If you're in the city, you're also

getting
problems in the moisture from the emmisions from our cars, factories and
such. Sad to think we're polluting this planet faster than it can heal. I
won't soapbox on this one...........

What
the deer don't eat, the wet soggy/frozen ground is rotting
roots...anyone having this problem?

Up in the Smokies, because there are so many more tourists and cars,

they're
seeing more effects in the trees and such from the pollution. (the area

has
no car emissions control). Add to that, that anthrachnose has decimated a
large portion of the dogwood population, pine beetles are killing the Jack
pines at alarming rates, and the devistation of the trees from gypsy
moths.........well Nature goes marching on....................

Thus far I have lost a 20' weeping
nootkantensis and the deer have eaten over 10 hemlocks, 16 arborvitae
and utterly destroyed every euonymous I own (owned)...

sounds like time to have some deer in the freezer..................if we
don't thin the herds down (there are no preditors in the city except for

us,
and that responsibility falls to us to maintain a balance) you'll suffer
from the excess and overfed states of them by more incidents of lime

disease
and accidents.
nuff said.
madgardener

rich haynes

We don't have deer around here, too much in the city, but there's quite a
population out by NASA
and the whole area out that way is a bird sanctuary so we see lots of
wetland birds and hawks and
such. I am happy not to have to deal with alligators though (there are some
around in other areas),
snakes are more than enough. Can't wait for the geckos to start singing
again though

Shell

Old 29-02-2004, 08:03 PM
James

"starlord inreach.com" starlord* wrote in message
heck I'd set up my own system and make sure it pointed towards him and
then put on some high class classical and make sure it was louder than
his and let it rip.

If he does that, I wish I knew someone on that street to spend a few days
with. Nothing better than a neighborhood scrap and eating popcorn with a
beer in the front yard.

--
"Knowledge is a 3 edged Sword" Kosh on Babylon 5
www.starlords.org

Old 29-02-2004, 08:34 PM
Father Haskell

Rich wrote:

This may not be the right group to ask this question in but I am hoping
some other gardeners have had this problem and found a solution.

I've got a neighbor across the street that apparently likes to
garden/maintain his house to the beat of a drummer (not a diffeernt
drummer, just a drummmer and a 28 piece band BG)..to enhance his
listening pleasure he has installed outdoor speakers.

Do likewise. PA horns are cheap, carry well.

Advisable NOT to exceed the idiot's volume level. Best to stay
a notch below. Sun Tzu said always maintain the high ground.

Yeah
sometimes I want to listen to some music myself but I use wireless
headphones and no one knows I am listening to The Beatles as loud as I
did when I was a thoughtless teenager.

Old fart's music. Good choice. So is 1940 - 1970 era C&W. Apparently,
shopping center managers have used it effectively to rid their
properties of loiterers.

Old 29-02-2004, 08:45 PM
Pen

I agree people are sheep, I spent months agonizing over how to tell my
neighbours not to put their garbage on the corner of our property
during the weekly pick-up. Finally, my husband just came right out
and said it. Being young and first home owners, they didn't realise
it was bothering me. They stopped doing it so they're pretty decent
people.

My neighbours on the other side complains that their neighbour has a
lot of parties on weekends and cars plugged up our street. She never
spoke to them about it and just kept complaining to me. One day she
wanted to enlarge her driveway and the contractor offered her a
discount if she can get someone else to widen theirs. She asked those
neighbours, they didn't need to widen, but did so anyways to
accomodate some of their guests and appease a neighbour.

As far as noise goes, there was a young family near my parent's home
that had loud music every weekend but over time, they either lost
interest in it or don't have time to spend in the backyard anymore.
Wait it out, it can't get worse and might get better. Maybe you can
chat with them about music you both like and he can pop those CD's in
when he see you in your garden? Or you can ask him to turn his
stereos to face someone else's house... ;P
Old 29-02-2004, 09:54 PM
starlord

I've lived in places where the people next door would crank their boom
boxs up and when asked to lower them down a bit, all they did was
crank them up more, so then I'd go home turn on mine with the Japanese
Superhero records at the ready and let'm have it. In a short time
they'd turn off theirs and I'd turn off mine.

And someone throw a rock at me? They'd better go hide, this Vietnam
vet doesn't turn the other cheek.

--
"Knowledge is a 3 edged Sword" Kosh on Babylon 5
www.starlords.org

"Frogleg" wrote in message
On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 16:11:47 GMT, wrote:

Oh, yeah. If someone throws a rock at you, the "solution" is to

throw
a bigger rock. There are *many* solutions to problems that don't
involve tit for tat. I once cranked up Mozart on my car radio (open
windows) to 'make a point' with the unwelcome music coming from an
adjacent car in a parking lot. Result: I don't really enjoy Mozart

at
50 decibels; I risked/provoked confrontation with unknown people;

they
didn't lower their volume (fortunately they didn't leap out of their
car and smash my windows), and AFAIK, I was the only one left

feeling
a bit foolish. You don't "teach" people to be polite and

accomodating
by matching or exceeding their rudeness.