Old 01-03-2004, 05:12 PM
MC

Default NEIGHBORS STEREO destroys serenty of the garden

Talk with your neighbors and work out your differences. Most people will
adjust.

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 13:13:22 +0000, Rich wrote:

This may not be the right group to ask this question in but I am hoping
some other gardeners have had this problem and found a solution.

I've got a neighbor across the street that apparently likes to
garden/maintain his house to the beat of a drummer (not a diffeernt
drummer, just a drummmer and a 28 piece band BG)..to enhance his
listening pleasure he has installed outdoor speakers. HE enjoys it but
(he did this as the weather was getting cold late last year (I am in
northern NJ)and now with some warmer days happening, so is his 6-8 hour
marathons of music) The noise makes the thought of gardening in peace a
thing of the past for me. I have lived here for 14 years on a dead end
street and its quite peaceful, or WAS until this character decided that
his music must be shared with the world. I am perplexed that people
cannot just enjoy the sounds of nature when working outside. Yeah
sometimes I want to listen to some music myself but I use wireless
headphones and no one knows I am listening to The Beatles as loud as I
did when I was a thoughtless teenager. I mentioned this to him after a
another neighbor (right across the street from him) called me to ask if
I would speak to this individual about the loud music. That is when I
heard "hey I have the right to play my music during the
daytime".....apparently the concept of other peoples right to quiet is
beyond his comprehension.OR he just doesn't give a S***~ which is more
likely the case.

I have talked with the other neighbors and while they HEAR it and find
it annoying they don't want to say anything (are most people deaf or
just sheep?). Perhaps its because they spend most of the winter shut up
tight (though the music comes through MY windows) and spend the summer
in central air and still keep those windows shut tight. I guess I am
weird, I LIKE fresh air........but now its polluted with noise that is
so unnecessary.

I have spoken with the police and while there is a town ordinance again
noise above certain decibles, I was told it was rarely
enforced....besides I hate the though of having to call the police on a
neighbor....not only does it go against my principles (though I have to
admit I am ready to throw them out the window in return for some garden
serenty) but it may open a bigger can of worms...a ****ed off neighbor.

now, after a long winded post, my question.........

Have any other gardeners run into a problem like this and how did they
resolve it (besides moving)?

(and a last minute thought though it should be saved for a different
post).........I noted this am a whole row of 10' Leyland cypress are
turing light green a brittle.........what is going ON this winter? What
the deer don't eat, the wet soggy/frozen ground is rotting
roots...anyone having this problem? Thus far I have lost a 20' weeping
nootkantensis and the deer have eaten over 10 hemlocks, 16 arborvitae
and utterly destroyed every euonymous I own (owned)...

rich haynes

Old 01-03-2004, 05:58 PM
Beecrofter

There is the urban version of shoot shovel and shut up, perhaps a
little creative vandalism is in order although I would consider it a
last resort as you don't want to start a war.
What worked for me was to play the same music delayed a bit. Or in the
case of radio to tune a little off the station and send some noise on
back.
Perhaps deer can be trained to eat speaker wires.

On the topic of deer they will not walk on chicken wire. It goes up
between their toes and they do not like it at all.

Old 01-03-2004, 06:32 PM
junkyardcat

You think that's bad....Imagine hearing Mexican polka ALL weekend, sometimes
ALL night, LOL! We have 11 acres and live in the middle of them. On one side
(about 5 acres away from our house) we have Hispanic neighbors that have 7
mobiles homes set up behind their own home. As soon as the weekend hits, you
hear the base boom boom boom of Mexican Polka...ALL DAY LONG! My
solution.....I haul my speakers outside and throw some Pink Floyd on and
turn up the volume as high as it'll go! Usually they get the hint and turn
theirs down a bit

If it bothers you too much, get yourself a walkman and some nature tapes

Happy Gardening
Angie

Old 01-03-2004, 06:34 PM
H Hornblower

I live next to a railroad track. Though it is amazingly loud I
quickly got used to it. However when the neighbors crank their stereo
it drives me crazy. I think it's because the train is just noise while
music has content that demands my minds attention. So the music is a
distraction that interferes with my own thoughts (which might even be
musical). So my opinion of people who are so selfish and self centered
as to play their music so that the neighbors can hear is not
charitable.

Old 01-03-2004, 08:34 PM
DigitalVinyl

Frogleg wrote:

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 16:11:47 GMT, wrote:

"starlord" starlord*inreach.com wrote:

heck I'd set up my own system and make sure it pointed towards him and
then put on some high class classical and make sure it was louder than
his and let it rip.

I have to agree. if you are unwilling to bitch to the police, or they are unwilling
to do anything, then you have little resort unless you want to do some sneaky shit
and make their life unbearable in the neighborhood.

Oh, yeah. If someone throws a rock at you, the "solution" is to throw
a bigger rock. There are *many* solutions to problems that don't
involve tit for tat.

But many of them assume a certain level of intelligence in the
"someone". People are largely ignorant and self-absorbed. Blasting
music is a right. F*** everyone else. It is a commonplace belief. To
"teach" them to be polite is something they should have learned when
they were 2 yrs old from their parents. Teaching adults and parents to
learn basics sometimes requires more than a conversation... which has
already occurred in this situation.

What seems left is mostly action, legal, political, retaliation
(sometimes people only learn from experiencing things first hand),
etc. Unless someone can provide examples of a kindler, gentler method.

You could erect high sound proof walls between properties- ordinances
may stop you, plus hurts sunlight into yard - but I think this is akin
to law-abiding putting jail-like bars on their windows so they feel
safe locked up in a prison of a house.

I once cranked up Mozart on my car radio (open
windows) to 'make a point' with the unwelcome music coming from an
adjacent car in a parking lot. Result: I don't really enjoy Mozart at
50 decibels; I risked/provoked confrontation with unknown people; they
didn't lower their volume (fortunately they didn't leap out of their
car and smash my windows), and AFAIK, I was the only one left feeling
a bit foolish. You don't "teach" people to be polite and accomodating
by matching or exceeding their rudeness.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener

Old 01-03-2004, 10:32 PM

you didnt get the right department... department of health is what you needed. it
sure wasnt in compliance with them. Ingrid

Phisherman wrote:

I had a neighbor who kept 17 dogs. The stench and flies were bad
enough to make backyard gardening undesirable. I checked local
ordinances and the neighbor was in compliance with all the laws.
There was really nothing I could do, but did more indoor gardening
until they finally sold and left. I would have traded a boom box at
full volume in trade of the stench. Carefully check your ordinances
about noise.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 01-03-2004, 10:37 PM

no, but it can help a great deal to viewed as pretty whacko and capable of anything.
it is the perception that matters. of course, if they are the crazy ones dont do
this. and under no circumstances physically attack a person of course, always be
ready to run like hell.
some times it helps to nag like their parents did. hell, I would even be willing to
visit my local Hog Haven and offer a round if they drove over to the neighbors to
have a little talk with them. Ingrid

Frogleg wrote:
You don't "teach" people to be polite and accomodating
by matching or exceeding their rudeness.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List