Old 05-03-2004, 04:15 AM
oo Mike oo

Default Pesky Lawn Weeds

In your first paragraph you write the "EPA" ESTIMATES 1.1 Million pounds of
fertilizers and pesticides are DUMPED on our lawns annually. Right so far?
Then you instruct us to multiply that number by a few hundred or a THOUSAND
and the result will be in the Billions of pounds. Actually 1.1 Million
multiplied by your largest estimate of 1000 comes to just 1,100,000. Not
Billions as you state, but only 1.1 Billion. Sure as heck sounds like "FUZZY
MATH" to me, not to mention it being one hell of an exaggeration.

Your entire tirade is based only on YOUR opinions, estimates and unfounded
statements. Not once do you give a site or a verifiable quote from any
knowledgeable person to back up your claims. Then you have the unmitigated
gall to write that I am uninformed. I'm certain you mean well, but like all
other fanatics, you want everyone to blindly follow your rules.

Hound Dog

Ummm, 1,100,000 actually is equal to 1.1 million, and if you multiply
that by 1,000 you get 1,100,000,000 which is 1 billion 100 million.
You stated that 1,100,000 x 1,000 = 1,100,000.

Her math is not so fuzzy. I cannot vouch for the source of her
numbers.

Mike
Old 05-03-2004, 04:16 AM
Dick Zielinski

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 17:22:01 -0600, "Hound Dog"
wrote:

(all sniped)

Methinks "Hound dog" should take a hike... We don't need his kind of
flames on a good news group like this.

Dick

Old 05-03-2004, 04:16 AM
Hound Dog

"oo Mike oo" wrote in message
[...]

I wrote it incorrectly, but did state it as 1.1 Billion.
Which makes her estimation of Billions incorrect and, in my opinion, to call
it "FAULTY MATH."

Hound Dog

Old 05-03-2004, 04:16 AM
Hound Dog

wrote:

(all sniped)

Methinks "Hound dog" should take a hike... We don't need his kind of
flames on a good news group like this.

Dick

What's NEEDED on this newsgroup are answers to the questions that have been
asked instead of maniacal responses about the dangers of fertilizers and
chemicals. I think most adults on this newsgroup are aware that all
substances may be hazardous if used improperly. That includes the organic as
well as the inorganic ones.

Besides, I have not FLAMED anyone. I have only responded in kind to those
who have attacked me.

Reread the posts.

Hound Dog

Old 05-03-2004, 04:17 AM
Hound Dog

wrote:

(all sniped)

Methinks "Hound dog" should take a hike... We don't need his kind of
flames on a good news group like this.

DicK

I have not FLAMED anyone. I have only answered their attacks on me in kind.

Read their posts.

Hound Dog

Old 05-03-2004, 01:32 PM
Rich

Getting back to the original question:

my nemisis as far as lawn weeds go is 'ground ivy'. Great looking
flowers in the spring but takes over the lawn afterwards. I have tried
various lawn fertilizers with weed control and home remedies spraying at
certain times of the year but nothing seems to work as well as taking an
hour every evening in warm weather and getting down on the grass and
pulling it out by hand (sort of meditative too)....

rich haynes
Old 06-03-2004, 04:21 AM
Pam - gardengal

"oo Mike oo" wrote in message
[...]

As noted, it is always a good idea to actually READ the posts before jumping
in to attack. And it helps one's credibility to counter an argument with
some facts of your own. "Hound Dog" fails on both counts.

HD, if you bother to reread what I wrote, I said the estimate (yes, an EPA
"estimate" based on sales figures of the products) of 1.1 million pounds
annually was for MY immediate area only. I furthered that statement with
statistics provided by the EPA (do your own search to confirm or refute) for
1997, which provided a total of 4.6 billion pounds of pesticides (didn't
include fertilizers) consumed that year in the US, of which only 3/4's was
attributed to agricultural uses - the rest to homeowners. So explain to me
where the fuzzy math is - 1.1 million x 1000 = 1+ billion in my book and 25%
of 4.6 billion = 1.15 billion, but perhaps your math is different.
Regardless of how many billion, it is still an astronomically higher figure
than the 'few" pounds you attribute (without anything to support it, I might
add).

Yes, I believe you are uninformed - your initial statement certainly
supports that contention. And I doubt you have bothered to do any personal
research to either support your view or counter mine. If you want a site to
verify figures and data, check the EPA
http://www.pestlaw.com/x/guide/1999/...00A.html#Table Highlights

This is only one of many.

FWIW, I am not a fanatic but I do make it a point to be well informed about
issues which affect my livelihood (professional horticulturist) and my
environment and to dispute the veracity of wild ass claims made by folks who
don't have a clue what they are talking about.

Old 06-03-2004, 04:22 AM
Pam - gardengal

"oo Mike oo" wrote in message
[...]

[IMG] code is On

I need advice on this difficulty. Weeds weeds weeds. Miss Perspicacia Tick United Kingdom 12 18-07-2005 09:45 PM
Question about pesky insects and a beginner to Bonsai Dave C Bonsai 2 20-05-2005 03:20 PM
[IBC] Question about pesky insects and a beginner to Bonsai Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 0 20-05-2005 11:10 AM
Lawn weed.Pesky!! Peter H Lawns 6 22-07-2003 06:33 AM
Weeds...Weeds...Weeds J. Farnsworth Wallaby Gardening 4 14-03-2003 11:09 PM