Old 20-03-2004, 02:20 PM
Frogleg

Default Chainsaw?

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 00:42:11 GMT, "Stephen M. Henning"
wrote:

Frogleg wrote:

I want to get a chainsaw for yard clean[u]p

What everyone is saying is true but there is another option that is
better. There are new inexpensive motorized pole saws that are
sometimes called power pruners, or prunning sticks. The saw is a
miniature chairsaw that would easily cut 3" branches at any height. The
fact that you can hold the pole at a distance greater than your height
makes it almost impossible to hurt yourself.

Oh, I'm sure I could hurt myself. :-) I just discovered one of these
at the Home Depot site. It looks like a good idea (just "light weight"
mentioned -- no specs in pounds), even 'though twice the price of the
non-extensible sort.

I haven't seen any in Walmart
but they may be getting them in. Or a local dealer may take the Walmart
card as credit for one or someone my buy the Walmart card. It is worth
a try.

WalMart online doesn't have one, and Googling on gift cards doesn't
turn up any "we'll take XXX card" -- just offers to swap for a reduced
amount of cash. Drat.

Old 20-03-2004, 04:13 PM
DavesVideo

Janet

You also need chainsaw trousers which have a fibre lining to choke and

stop a moving blade.

And special socks? :-) One should always be carefull, but if I had to wear
special clothes when ever I use my chainsaw, I would probably never use it.
Maybe, if I was going out to cut all day, I might get suited up. But the main
thing is to be carefull and eye protection is a must. I don't recall anyone
mentioning it, but second only to eye protection is ear protectors. Those are
the two things I will not cut without. Good idea to wear those ear muffs too
when mowing the lawn.

Dave
http://members.tripod.com/~VideoDave
Old 20-03-2004, 05:02 PM
John Bachman

wrote:

Frogleg wrote:

[...]

I got mine at a local hardware store and love it. It is a Poulan and
goes for $900. I use it commercially so the expense is worth it to
me.

However, I do not think of it as replacing either of my chainsaws.
Each tool has its applications.

If I were buying one for "yard work" I would get a small chainsaw.
Mine is a 12" Echo and I use it more than anything else. The pole
pruner is limited to those things I cannot reach from the ground with
my regular chainsaw.

JMHO

John

Old 20-03-2004, 07:32 PM

a small electric chainsaw is not Freddy Kruger. I use glasses but nothing else in
the way of "protection". loose gloves may prevent a good grip. I have used both
electric and gas. It is important to learn how to cut properly (down and not with
the tip), but the new chain saws have fast brakes on them to stop em when the finger
is lifted off the button AND a small chainsaw has almost no kick back to it. there
is no way in hell I can use any kind of manual saw for very long, but the electric
and gas are fine and dont tire my arms at all and I am whimpy. it is important to
learn how to prop downed trees when cutting them up so the cut doesnt grab the
chainsaw cause lifting those trees to get it loose is hell.
it is important to know where the cord is at all times, and never have the cord under
ones feet when doing a cut. I always leave myself room to move back if what I am
cutting starts to move towards me.
BTW, not everything is suitable to cut with a chainsaw. those damn honeysuckles are
too "whippy" unless you can get all the way to the base to cut them. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 20-03-2004, 11:14 PM
Ann

Janet Baraclough.. expounded:

Really? I don't know any professional chainsaw operator who doesn't
wear full gear, even for a very simple half hour job.

Proper gear means work gloves, long pants, wookboots, safety glasses,
hearing protection, and knowledge. If you're swinging a chainsaw so
badly you might cut into your legs I really don't think you should be
using one ;- Accidents can happen to anyone, true, but expecting
everyone who uses a chainsaw to own kevlar pants is going a bit too
far.
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

Old 21-03-2004, 02:21 AM
Roy

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 21:11:16 GMT, Janet Baraclough..
wrote:

===The message
===from (DavesVideo) contains these words:
===
=== Janet
===
=== You also need chainsaw trousers which have a fibre lining to choke and
=== stop a moving blade.
===
=== And special socks? :-)
===
=== The trousers overlap the protective boots.
===
=== One should always be carefull, but if I had to wear
=== special clothes when ever I use my chainsaw, I would probably never use it.
===
=== Really? I don't know any professional chainsaw operator who doesn't
===wear full gear, even for a very simple half hour job.
===
=== Janet.
===

Well I would say the utility companies that clear right of ways, as
well as the largest Arborist and trimmin company in the USA Asplundt,
as well as Davey Tree, rarely if ever do I see them using chainsaw
chaps. Hearing and eye protection yes, other than that is steel toed
boots, and pants of their choice as well as a company T shirt. Even
the professional loggers here don't go to that extreme. Try and put
all that gear on and work in the woods in the hot souths humid
weather and see how long you last. They may do it up in the great
white north and some other places up north working for companies and
mandated by OSHA, but its rare to ever see them in all that protective
equipment.
Visit my website:
http://www.frugalmachinist.com
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

[IMG] code is On

Request Poulan chainsaw Carb Tune-Up Procedure Ken Shelton Lawns 2 18-11-2009 01:48 AM
Chainsaw Recall Chris Lawns 0 09-05-2003 02:20 PM
Performance Power Chainsaw Rocket United Kingdom 1 23-03-2003 09:32 AM
Buying a petrol chainsaw Mike United Kingdom 13 22-03-2003 11:29 AM
Chainsaw Keith Swaine United Kingdom 0 18-10-2002 09:39 PM