Old 19-03-2004, 12:42 PM
Frogleg

Default Chainsaw?

I want to get a chainsaw for yard cleanip, but I don't have a lot of
money. In fact, I have *no* money, but I do have a WalMart gift card.
The cheapest model they have is a Remington electric. They also have
some Poulan and Snapper gas models for twice the price. What I want to
do is prune some severely overgrown bushes and trees with max.
trunk/branch diameter of 3" or so.

Any thoughts on advantages/dis- for gas and electric? I'm not looking
to cut down mighty oaks. I could do most of the work with a bow saw,
but there's a *lot* to be done and my arm gets very tired after one
cut.
Old 19-03-2004, 02:12 PM
Hal

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 12:33:10 GMT, Frogleg wrote:

Any thoughts on advantages/dis- for gas and electric? I'm not looking
to cut down mighty oaks. I could do most of the work with a bow saw,
but there's a *lot* to be done and my arm gets very tired after one
cut.

The electric will probably serve your needs well, but you have to work
around the cord. A small gas powered saw is great for climbing and
taking apart trees, or cutting firewood. Both need chain lubricant
and you can get into dry chain trouble quicker with a gas powered saw
because it runs a little faster, but it cuts a little faster too.

If you think either machine will be a trouble free tool you can just
grab and use anytime, you may be disappointed. The chain needs
sharpening frequently to keep it cutting properly and it will need
adjusting to keep it from jumping off the bar after it gets hot from
use. Chain oil is expensive, but it isn't a good idea to try to
substitute a cheaper oil since most oils don't stick to the metal
parts like chain oil and will sling off and will not be effective.

Regards,

Hal
Old 19-03-2004, 04:02 PM

I agree. electric. it is also much much quieter. INgrid

Hal wrote:

[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 19-03-2004, 04:16 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from Frogleg contains these words:

I want to get a chainsaw for yard cleanip, but I don't have a lot of
money. In fact, I have *no* money, but I do have a WalMart gift card.
The cheapest model they have is a Remington electric. They also have
some Poulan and Snapper gas models for twice the price. What I want to
do is prune some severely overgrown bushes and trees with max.
trunk/branch diameter of 3" or so.

Any thoughts on advantages/dis- for gas and electric? I'm not looking
to cut down mighty oaks. I could do most of the work with a bow saw,
but there's a *lot* to be done and my arm gets very tired after one
cut.

If your arms get very tired after one cut with a bowsaw, they are
going to find the vibration and extra weight of even a small electric
chainsaw a whole lot worse.*Please* don't use any chainsaw unless you
have strong arms, have been on a training course on safe operation, and
are wearing full safety equipment from head to toe (which costs a lot
more than a cheap chainsaw). One of the first things taught on a basic
training course, is only to operate the saw while standing on the
ground, unobstructed, with open space behind you, and not to cut above
the level of your shoulder. Think about that in relation to your
overgrown bushes and trees.

I'd do 3" limbs gradually with a bowsaw, as strength permits. Remember
you can alternate thin and thick branches in any ratio that suits your
strength and energy. If you can find a friend to help, with a bowsaw two
people can safely work in the same area, one sawing and one clearing
(unlike a chainsaw).

Old bowsaws can be hard work just because the blade is worn and blunt.
New blades aren't very expensive or difficult to fit and make sawing
much faster, and easier on the arms.

Janet.

Old 19-03-2004, 06:04 PM
zxcvbob

Janet Baraclough.. wrote:

[...]

Even better might be one of the new "shark toothed" pruning saw. I've
cut 3" limbs with mine when I didn't want to drag out a chainsaw. They
cut *much* easier than a bowsaw.

Like I mentioned in a.h.repair, I vote for an Echo CS-3000. It's a
lightweight arborist's saw, available at Home Depot for just under $200.

-Bob
Old 19-03-2004, 06:07 PM
Frogleg

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 15:06:55 GMT, Janet Baraclough..
wrote:

The message
from Frogleg contains these words:

I want to get a chainsaw for yard clean[u]p,

If your arms get very tired after one cut with a bowsaw, they are
going to find the vibration and extra weight of even a small electric
chainsaw a whole lot worse.*Please* don't use any chainsaw unless you
have strong arms, have been on a training course on safe operation, and
are wearing full safety equipment from head to toe (which costs a lot
more than a cheap chainsaw). One of the first things taught on a basic
training course, is only to operate the saw while standing on the
ground, unobstructed, with open space behind you, and not to cut above
the level of your shoulder. Think about that in relation to your
overgrown bushes and trees.

Thanks, Janet. I *have* been looking at articles on safe operation,
and indeed, the safety equipment would cost a great deal more than the
saw. I believe I can borrow a hat and eye protection in the
neighborhood. Boots/shoes are a problem.

Old 19-03-2004, 07:46 PM
Beecrofter

Frogleg wrote in message . ..
I want to get a chainsaw for yard cleanip, but I don't have a lot of
money. In fact, I have *no* money, but I do have a WalMart gift card.
The cheapest model they have is a Remington electric. They also have
some Poulan and Snapper gas models for twice the price. What I want to
do is prune some severely overgrown bushes and trees with max.
trunk/branch diameter of 3" or so.

Any thoughts on advantages/dis- for gas and electric? I'm not looking
to cut down mighty oaks. I could do most of the work with a bow saw,
but there's a *lot* to be done and my arm gets very tired after one
cut.

Go to the camping supplies and spend ten bucks on a folding camp saw
or a non folding one, coleman makes one that will prune 3" just fine.
Better a decent hand tool than a cheap power tool.
Old 19-03-2004, 11:04 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from Frogleg contains these words:

Thanks, Janet. I *have* been looking at articles on safe operation,
and indeed, the safety equipment would cost a great deal more than the
saw. I believe I can borrow a hat and eye protection in the
neighborhood. Boots/shoes are a problem.

You also need chainsaw trousers which have a fibre lining to choke and
stop a moving blade.

Janet.

Old 20-03-2004, 01:02 AM
Stephen M. Henning

Frogleg wrote:

I want to get a chainsaw for yard cleanip, but I don't have a lot of
money. In fact, I have *no* money, but I do have a WalMart gift card.
The cheapest model they have is a Remington electric. They also have
some Poulan and Snapper gas models for twice the price. What I want to
do is prune some severely overgrown bushes and trees with max.
trunk/branch diameter of 3" or so.

Any thoughts on advantages/dis- for gas and electric? I'm not looking
to cut down mighty oaks. I could do most of the work with a bow saw,
but there's a *lot* to be done and my arm gets very tired after one
cut.

What everyone is saying is true but there is another option that is
better. There are new inexpensive motorized pole saws that are
sometimes called power pruners, or prunning sticks. The saw is a
miniature chairsaw that would easily cut 3" branches at any height. The
fact that you can hold the pole at a distance greater than your height
makes it almost impossible to hurt yourself. Several companies make
them including Echo, Bosch, and Poulan. I haven't seen any in Walmart
but they may be getting them in. Or a local dealer may take the Walmart
card as credit for one or someone my buy the Walmart card. It is worth
a try.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman

Old 20-03-2004, 03:03 AM
Romy Beeck

I WOULD GO TO E-BAY AND CHECK THERE CHAIN SAWS.. YOU DON'T NEED A BIG ONE
AND THEY HAVE LOTS OF GOOD DEALS ON THERE. I MYSELF OWN A STIHL CHAIN SAW
AND WOULD NOT ANY OTHER BRAND . STIHL IS RATED THE BEST IN CONSUMER REPORTS.
BUT ECHO IS RATED VERY GOOD ALSO AND YOU CAN PICK THEM UP ON E-BAY VERY
CHEAP AND THEY RUN VERY GOOD..

Old 20-03-2004, 03:17 AM
Romy Beeck

"Frogleg" wrote in message
I want to get a chainsaw for yard cleanip, but I don't have a lot of
money. In fact, I have *no* money, but I do have a WalMart gift card.
The cheapest model they have is a Remington electric. They also have
some Poulan and Snapper gas models for twice the price. What I want to
do is prune some severely overgrown bushes and trees with max.
trunk/branch diameter of 3" or so.

Any thoughts on advantages/dis- for gas and electric? I'm not looking
to cut down mighty oaks. I could do most of the work with a bow saw,
but there's a *lot* to be done and my arm gets very tired after one
cut.

[IMG] code is On

Request Poulan chainsaw Carb Tune-Up Procedure Ken Shelton Lawns 2 18-11-2009 01:48 AM
Chainsaw Recall Chris Lawns 0 09-05-2003 02:20 PM
Performance Power Chainsaw Rocket United Kingdom 1 23-03-2003 09:32 AM
Buying a petrol chainsaw Mike United Kingdom 13 22-03-2003 11:29 AM
Chainsaw Keith Swaine United Kingdom 0 18-10-2002 09:39 PM