Old 23-08-2004, 10:28 PM
FXDWG

OK, so back to original post.
I also have noticed that now that I finally have red tomatoes, it
looks like the squirrels are eating them.

Does anyone have any REAL advice about what to do??

Thanks!

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 13:57:49 -0700,
(paghat) wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

I used a product called the Cat/Dog Stop that I bought from
www.backyard-lifestyle.com
to keep the raccoons and squirrels out of my garden area. It uses a
motion detector and emmits an Ultrasonic sound that frightens most
animals away. Humans can't hear it, and it operates off a 9v battery
for months. It was priced about $40 and well worth every penny.
I hope this helps,
Norman

In another thread I took you seriously when you claimed this worthless
device did the job for you personally. I corrected this misinformation,
but was myself naive enough to believe you had at least THOUGHT you'd
experienced some positive effect, since coincidents do happen. But hooboy
was I wrong in assuming you were a regular joe hornswoggled by crooks, as
another individual noted that you are yourself merely a constant spammer
-- making YOU the hornswoggling crook.

Warning to all: Ultrasonic devices have been tested by uninvested parties
at horticultural stations of several universities, & found to be
completely worthless for any purpose whatsoever. See this article, with
two university links within the text:

http://www.paghat.com/ultrasonic.html

An object lesson on why one should NEVER buy ANYTHING from spammers.
Spamming on UseNet is simply not done by honest & competent companies.

-paghat the ratgirl

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 18:00:25 -0300, wrote:

Squirrels are swiping all my tomatoes before they have a chance to start
getting ripe. There's nothing around here that eats squirrels, and we
can't shoot 'em. Is there a way to keep them away from the tomatoes?

Alan

_____________________________
'00 FXDWG
"A couple of the sounds that I really like are the sounds of a switchblade and a motorbike".
Old 24-08-2004, 12:13 AM
Phisherman

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 17:28:11 -0400, FXDWG wrote:

OK, so back to original post.
I also have noticed that now that I finally have red tomatoes, it
looks like the squirrels are eating them.

Does anyone have any REAL advice about what to do??

Thanks!

An electric fence. That's what I have and it works well. Keeps out
the groundhogs too. I have loads of tomatoes this year from 5 plants.
I tried a yellow tomato plant for the first time and these are very
tasty with a mild flavor. I had an abundance of squirrels earlier
this summer, but then I spent a few weeks trapping them, perhaps 30 or
so until the squirrel population decreased, at least for now.
Old 24-08-2004, 12:13 PM
Shirley Hicks

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 17:28:11 -0400, FXDWG wrote:

OK, so back to original post.
I also have noticed that now that I finally have red tomatoes, it
looks like the squirrels are eating them.

Does anyone have any REAL advice about what to do??

I don't see the original post.

I live in a small apartment co-ownership apartment building in Toronto
that backs on to one of the two major rivers and it's conservation
area. We have a bunch of enthusiastic tomato growers, with plants in
pots taking advantage of the few places on the property that get
enough sunlight (we also have a lot of matuer trees) We have squirrel
posses coming out our ears. They find the tomato crops on the
balconies, too.

The solution that has worked is to wrapthe plants and pots in 1" mesh
chicken wire. The squirrels can't chew throught that. 1" or 0.5"
hardware cloth will work as well. It needs to be metal, not fibreglas
mesh.

Troll Baby
Toronto, Ontario
"A liberal is a conservative who's been through treatment."
- Garrison Keillor
Old 27-08-2004, 03:20 AM
Doug Fox

I try to grow some tomato too. What and how do I need to prepare the soil?
My experimental one is "pot soil" LOL.

Old 02-09-2004, 04:38 AM
Christopher

I use chicken wire too. It's cheap and effective.