Old 28-07-2004, 01:02 AM
remove munged

Default Home Depot politics

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 12:44:28 -0400, wrote:

or that they don't garden?

There're just substandard gardeners relying on polluting solutions
rather than gardening skill...
Old 28-07-2004, 01:27 AM
Vox Humana

"Sue" wrote in message
Thanks for that bit, Z. Here in Maine we are about to experience Lowes

in
competition with HD.
2 Lowes stores, one in Brunswick and one in Auburn.

The Auburn Store will be in quadrangle with HD, Super Wal-Mart, and BJ's
Wholesale Club. Another Big Box property on the same "strip" is yet to

be
disclosed, was the former Wal-mart.

Simply put, I'm looking for the best deal on an Echo 210 Staight Shaft
Trimmer and the brush blade that goes with. HD has the lowest price in
Maine at the moment and I'm holding out at this point for end of season
sales.

If I were purely politically oriented, I'd not buy from HD. But when MY
budget is tested on a product or a project, I'll shop for best price (
period).

choice is wonderful.

Be sure you are comparing apples to apples. Sometimes HD has products
produced to cheaper specifications that are sold only in its stores. The
Echo trimmer that you want may or may NOT be exactly the same at Lowe's,
Wal-Mart, and Home Depot.

Old 28-07-2004, 02:02 AM
Sue

Thanks for that bit, Z. Here in Maine we are about to experience Lowes in
competition with HD.
2 Lowes stores, one in Brunswick and one in Auburn.

The Auburn Store will be in quadrangle with HD, Super Wal-Mart, and BJ's
Wholesale Club. Another Big Box property on the same "strip" is yet to be
disclosed, was the former Wal-mart.

Simply put, I'm looking for the best deal on an Echo 210 Staight Shaft
Trimmer and the brush blade that goes with. HD has the lowest price in
Maine at the moment and I'm holding out at this point for end of season
sales.

If I were purely politically oriented, I'd not buy from HD. But when MY
budget is tested on a product or a project, I'll shop for best price (
period).

choice is wonderful.

sue
western Maine

far away from anywhere.

--
Breeze ( sue burnham)
"Zemedelec" wrote in message
| Maybe this is much too off topic, but a friend of mine who is much more of
| political animal than I am told me HD is heavily supported by rich
Republicans

Old 28-07-2004, 02:38 AM
paghat

In article , "Vox Humana"
wrote:

"Sue" wrote in message
[...]

Almost anything sold by any of these crap-o-mats can be found to have a
parallel product vastly better from Seers. I'm no huge fan of Seers, but
I'm far less a fan of products that break easily or don't even work, which
is what you get at (in order of crappiness) Home Depot & its ilk. And all
too often, the illusion of having saved a dollar by paying $10 at Home
Depot for what costs $11 at Seers, since the Lowes product breaks right
away it's actually $10 too much, & since the Seers version lasts for years
& years, it's the real bargain.

I've also gotten superior products at Ace Hardware & Fred Meyers, in some
cases after having to return unutterable junky versions to Home Depot or
Lowes. I have hardly ever set foot in WalMart, but the couple times I ever
got anything there (a garden light comes to mind) it was broken in a
trice, so WalMart slipped off my map entirely. I do still compare-shop at
Home Depot & Lowes, but anything that has two or more moving parts to it
is guaranteed not to work as well (if at all) as the equivalent from
Seers. It's just the way it always works out.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

Old 28-07-2004, 03:02 AM
Herb

"Vox Humana" wrote in message
Be sure you are comparing apples to apples. Sometimes HD has products
produced to cheaper specifications that are sold only in its stores. The
Echo trimmer that you want may or may NOT be exactly the same at Lowe's,
Wal-Mart, and Home Depot.

They all do the same thing. One of the biggest fish-heads they use to lure
people into the store is "exclusively at such & such" or "only at HD".

It's a fact manufacturers will not sell to discount stores the exact same
item the authorized dealers sell.

Same goes for their garden plants/shrubs, they sell the items wholesale
nurseries can't sell to re-wholesalers. They are rejects or lesser quality
than you purchase through a wholesaler or retailer. I know this because I
work for the largest re-wholesaler in the nation.

Old 28-07-2004, 03:16 AM

If I were purely politically oriented, I'd not buy from HD. But when MY
budget is tested on a product or a project, I'll shop for best price (
period).

Shopping for the best price is a political choice, though that may not
be readily apparent. There are lots of folks who'd rather you didn't,
and lots of places where you can't.

choice is wonderful.

Yes it is, isn't it?

Swyck

Old 28-07-2004, 05:11 AM

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 22:51:38 GMT, "Vox Humana"
wrote:
wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 18:49:51 GMT, "Vox Humana"
wrote:
I think that rude posts and name calling are what disrupt newsgroups, not
off-topic posts.

I agree, and I think the original post was not only off-topic but
rude, condescending, and disrupting.

I hope it doesn't ruin the rest of your week.

Actually it made my day.

Swyck
Old 28-07-2004, 05:11 AM
Vox Humana

wrote in message

If I were purely politically oriented, I'd not buy from HD. But when MY
budget is tested on a product or a project, I'll shop for best price (
period).

Shopping for the best price is a political choice, though that may not
be readily apparent. There are lots of folks who'd rather you didn't,
and lots of places where you can't.

I am probably more thrifty than most people. Still, I realize that the
price on the shelf tag or sticker isn't the only consideration. Plants from
a big box store aren't necessarily the bargain that they appear to be.
Often they have wilted over and over again. Items may be dumbed down,
look-alike products that are cheaper than what you might find for a little
more elsewhere. Sometimes the help you get from knowledgeable sales people
adds value to the product. From a political standpoint, you have to
consider if the money you pay for an item will eventually be used against
you or contrary to your values. Will you buy cheap now and then use tax
dollars to clean up a toxic waste site left by that company. Will you buy
cheap now and pay for the food stamps of the poorly paid employees? Will
you buy cheap now because the store receives generous tax breaks when the
established store in town goes broke and stops paying taxes. Will the
store ship all the profits back to a distant headquarters, or worse, will it
ship jobs overseas. Knowing that the top guy at HD earns $22 million
dollars sort of disturbs me when I see people working in the stores who are
obviously a paycheck away from being homeless. Knowing that a chunk of the
money goes to a political movement that is unpinned by a philosophy of cheap
labor also troubles me. Given that knowledge, I will shop elsewhere when I
can. I'm not suggesting that anyone else should follow, nor am I ignoring
the fact that people of other political conviction make purchase decisions
using the same logic. The religious right has avoided Disney products for
years. Others mount boycotts against media outlets like CBS. Political
shopping isn't a practice owned by any particular group.

Old 28-07-2004, 03:27 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Mark" wrote in message
th.net...

How very narrow-minded and bigoted of you. Just like a
Liberal.

Now there's an oxymoronic statement for you!!

Personally, I don't see how anyone could object to this thread. OT or not,
it's the best entertainment I've had in weeks! Didja ever notice how at the
firt sign of a political statement or difference of opinion, folks seem to
lose all ability at rational thought? But then politics tends to bring out
the idiot in us all. How else can we explain away the last 4 years?

[IMG] code is On

Sodium Grow Light from Home Depot MC Gardening 9 14-04-2011 06:06 PM
Shade cloth at Home Depot? [email protected] Orchids 17 01-09-2003 05:22 PM
Rose bushes at Home Depot Mceezee Gardening 7 15-05-2003 02:56 AM
Salt at Home Depot or Lowes? Bob Ponds 3 12-05-2003 12:45 AM
whats' the chroma 50 bulb from wall mart or home depot Wynand Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 06:15 AM