Old 13-07-2005, 08:22 AM
chairchair

Default kittens, safety, Diatomaceous Earth

With little kittens that are 6 weeks old, how safe is Diatomaceous
Earth? I know that Diatomaceous Earth helps get rid of fleas on cats.
I'm wondering how safe it is for young kittens. Does anyone know? Where
could I find out?

Old 13-07-2005, 09:24 AM
Cereus-validus.......

A gardening group is always the best place to find answers to pet questions,
isn't it?

Could there possible be another place to find such answers?

If only there was such a thing as a Google search to find out?

oups.com...

Old 13-07-2005, 01:27 PM
JC from Gnat Flats

"Cereus-validus......." wrote in message
. ..
A gardening group is always the best place to find answers to pet

questions,
isn't it?

It's also a good place to find arrogance as well.

--
Make it just one gnat to email.

JC

Old 13-07-2005, 01:38 PM
Bourne Identity

On 13 Jul 2005 00:22:15 -0700, "chairchair"
wrote:

With little kittens that are 6 weeks old, how safe is Diatomaceous
Earth? I know that Diatomaceous Earth helps get rid of fleas on cats.
I'm wondering how safe it is for young kittens. Does anyone know? Where
could I find out?

First, read this:
http://www.dirtdoctor.com/view_org_research.php?id=41

Then have your cat spayed for petes sake.

Old 13-07-2005, 02:33 PM
Darren Garrison

On 13 Jul 2005 00:22:15 -0700, "chairchair" wrote:

With little kittens that are 6 weeks old, how safe is Diatomaceous
Earth? I know that Diatomaceous Earth helps get rid of fleas on cats.
I'm wondering how safe it is for young kittens. Does anyone know? Where
could I find out?

This is only a guess, but I'd say no harm whatsoever, unless they inhale the blowing powder, in
which case there may be some risk of kitty silicosis. (Of course, you would also have the possible
chance of human silicosis).

Old 13-07-2005, 03:05 PM
Sonia Van Tassel

If you are concerned I would avoid it or ask your vet before using it.

Old 13-07-2005, 03:09 PM
Toni

"chairchair" wrote in message
oups.com...
With little kittens that are 6 weeks old, how safe is Diatomaceous
Earth? I know that Diatomaceous Earth helps get rid of fleas on cats.
I'm wondering how safe it is for young kittens. Does anyone know? Where
could I find out?

DE is safe for getting rid of fleas "on premesis".
It should never be *applied on* kittens, cats, dogs, or any other animal.
Especially animals who constantly lick themselves. At six weeks just use a
mild flea shampoo *formulated for use on kittens*.

With kittens and cats it is vitally important to use only products that
specifically state "safe for use on cats and kittens".
I would concentrate on cleaning up the premesis, using Frontline on any
older animals (like the mother cat) and treating the kittens the moment they
are old enough- usually eight weeks unless they are terribly debilitated by
flea infestation.

You will of course need to see a vet for your attendant tapeworms. It may
take you some time to get these babies back up to good health following such
a rocky start.

--
Toni
South Florida USA

Old 13-07-2005, 03:32 PM
Cereus-validus.......

Thanks for exposing your pomposity too!!!

Which JC do you think you are? Johnny Carson?

. ..

Old 13-07-2005, 05:39 PM
Valkyrie

The internet is not just for chat and newsgroups (contrary to popular belief
and ignorance). Try putting 'diatomaceous earth+fleas' into your browser's
search window, Google is my personal favorite, there's lots of information
out there and you'll see plenty of sites that will answer your
question.....if you look long and hard enough you will even get an answer
that will agree with what you believe to be right, whether it is or not is
another matter. Just to get you started, here's a link:

http://www.critterchat.net/diearth.htm

If you don't know what a browser is, or a search engine, I would suggest an
Internet for Dummies type of book. Now that you've learned to turn the
machine on and wade into a newsgroup you are probably ready to actually use
the internet to it's full potential; whether it will be yours or not is up
to you.

Val

Old 13-07-2005, 06:18 PM
Travis

chairchair wrote:
With little kittens that are 6 weeks old, how safe is Diatomaceous
Earth? I know that Diatomaceous Earth helps get rid of fleas on
cats. I'm wondering how safe it is for young kittens. Does anyone
know? Where could I find out?

Ask your vet. You do have one don't you? You will probably get yelled
at for posting an animal question in a garden newsgroup.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 13-07-2005, 06:53 PM
madgardener

"J.C." wrote in message
m...

I'm the one that doesn't have much tolerance for belligerant teenagers.
PLONK

well, you've killfiled not a belligerant teenager as you think you have, but
one of our more knowlegable, but curmudgeony characters. Cereus-valadus.
His tongue is sharp, his wit is dry and quick, his critical observations
don't hold back, and there are some of us who don't let his dark humorous
barbs distract us, as his answers of validity regarding horticulture and
especially cacti and succulents is most admirable. He's deffinately NOT a
teenager.....same as Travis is old enough to be my older brother, but there
have been times I've thought Travis was a young guy who was quick to point
out my own mistakes on the newsgroup.

You got good info from Victoria (aka Bourne Identity) to visit the site.
Frontline works on fleas and ticks. and you got excellent advice from Toni.
With all those fleas, the poor kittens will have worms which will weaken
them and their immune system.
madgardener stepping back behind the Korean Spirea now...................

Old 13-07-2005, 07:07 PM
J.C.

"madgardener" wrote in message

"J.C." wrote in message
m...

I'm the one that doesn't have much tolerance for belligerant teenagers.
PLONK

well, you've killfiled not a belligerant teenager as you think you have,

Well, I'll just have to try to get along without having to read his sharp
witicisms.

Old 13-07-2005, 07:43 PM
Cereus-validus.......

I'm honored. I haven't been a belligerent teenager for so long I almost
forgot what it was like.

That still doesn't get you off the hook for being an addle-brained fool,
Jiminy Cricket!!!

Only a complete imbecile would ask a pet care question in a garden group.

Why don't you be a good Twinkie and go and haunt a group about pets instead,
Jolly Cornpone?

m...

Old 13-07-2005, 07:55 PM
Cereus-validus.......

You still here, Jumbo Catastrophe?

Have you already finished tormenting kittens?

Do you have an actual garden question or do you want to keep on boasting
what a complete fool you can be?

"J.C." wrote in message

"madgardener" wrote in message

m...