Old 23-08-2007, 07:20 PM
Registered User

Smile Putting green Help

HI

I am a novice gardner but am thinking of installing a putting green in my garden. I want this to be natural as I hate the thought of synthetic. Can anyone give me advice on replacing the current grass etc...

Thanks

Denis
Old 23-08-2007, 09:31 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jim Jim is offline

Default Putting green Help

Irishden wrote:

HI

I am a novice gardner but am thinking of installing a putting green in
my garden. I want this to be natural as I hate the thought of
synthetic. Can anyone give me advice on replacing the current grass
etc...

Thanks

Denis

eggs is the golf course person.

I'd begin by asking you your location, because
that's going to play a big part in what turf type
would be best suited to the growing conditions
offered by your climate.

then we'd talk process.
Old 24-08-2007, 02:39 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Irishden said:

HI

I am a novice gardner but am thinking of installing a putting green in
my garden. I want this to be natural as I hate the thought of
synthetic. Can anyone give me advice on replacing the current grass
etc...

You're fscking nuts. =)

Do you really think that maintaining a putting green requires only "novice
gardening experience"? (serious question)

--

Eggs

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
Old 24-08-2007, 04:48 PM
Registered User

HI

I live in cheshire. The area I wish to turn into a putting green is sloped away from the house. I have done all the prep work and really just need to know about the current grass etc.. do i kill it or use that?

thanks

denis
Old 24-08-2007, 09:57 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Aug 24, 11:48 am, Irishden
wrote:
HI

I live in cheshire. The area I wish to turn into a putting green is
sloped away from the house. I have done all the prep work and really
just need to know about the current grass etc.. do i kill it or use
that?

thanks

denis

--
Irishden

How could you possibly do the prep work for a green, and not know what
kind of grass to plant? I don't know how anyone could look at a
green and think you could create one in your backyard and maintain
it. Bent grass, which is typically used, needs to be watered daily,
mowed with a special mower every couple days, treated with fungicide
in hot weather.... And the prep work and getting the exact right soil
mix is critical. Bottom line, unless you're prepared to spend a lot
of time and money, it ain't gonna work.

Old 25-08-2007, 05:04 AM
Registered User

Thanks for all the support,
Old 25-08-2007, 05:30 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Eggs Zachtly" wrote in message
Irishden said:

HI

I am a novice gardner but am thinking of installing a putting green in
my garden. I want this to be natural as I hate the thought of
synthetic. Can anyone give me advice on replacing the current grass
etc...

You're fscking nuts. =)

Do you really think that maintaining a putting green requires only "novice
gardening experience"? (serious question)

--

Eggs

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Well, I've seen and talked to some of the people that maintain putting
greens... Not impressed. I know for fact they didn't plant/seed the
original green. That's what the OPs question is about.
Dave

Old 25-08-2007, 03:52 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Irishden said:

HI

I am a novice gardner but am thinking of installing a putting green in
my garden. I want this to be natural as I hate the thought of
synthetic. Can anyone give me advice on replacing the current grass
etc...

You're fscking nuts. =)

Do you really think that maintaining a putting green requires only "novice
gardening experience"? (serious question)

--

Eggs

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Well, I've seen and talked to some of the people that maintain putting
greens... Not impressed. I know for fact they didn't plant/seed the
original green. That's what the OPs question is about.
Dave- Hide quoted text -

I see. You just have to seed it and then it takes care of itself?
And it's better to answer the OP's question with "bent grass", rather
than explain why what they are trying to do is nearly impossible.

You may not be impressed with some of the people that maintain
greens, but I assure you, if the golf course is in any decent shape,
there is someone there supervising that knows what they are doing.

Old 25-08-2007, 10:43 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Irishden said:

HI

I am a novice gardner but am thinking of installing a putting green in
my garden. I want this to be natural as I hate the thought of
synthetic. Can anyone give me advice on replacing the current grass
etc...

You're fscking nuts. =)

Do you really think that maintaining a putting green requires only "novice
gardening experience"? (serious question)

[borked OE quoting snipped]

Well, I've seen and talked to some of the people that maintain putting
greens... Not impressed.

Whether or not you're impressed with Bubba at the local public course, is
irrelevant (especially considering the rest of your post).

I know for fact they didn't plant/seed the
original green. That's what the OPs question is about.

I don't consider it even remotely proper to instruct someone on how to
install something that they have absolutely no idea how to (or, probably
the resources to) maintain it. That's what the replies were all about.

You don't just plant a putting green, and treat it like any other lawn.
First of all, it isn't planted on a base of soil, so the OP's "prep work"
is all for naught. Explaining to them all of the things necessary to
install *and* maintain it would take MUCH more than a few newsgroup posts.
I'm sure you don't understand that.

--

Eggs

The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.