Old 18-12-2008, 11:29 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

Default How not to kill the grass?

I need to leave something on the lawn for a few days, and I wonder if
there is a way to avoid damaging the grass. And how long it takes to
start killing the grass. And what the best time of year is for this.

The easiest way to remove my small deck, 4' x 8' that is falling
apart, seems to be to get a bagster www.thebagster.com and put the
wood from my deck in it. 30 for the bag and iirc 130 to have it
removed. (Not the cheapest but the easiest.) 4'wide x 8'long x 2.5'
high, the entire top is open, and it will hold 3300 pounds, they say,
but the 350 or 500 feet equivalent of 2x4 won't weigh anywhere near
that much. How much does a 2x4 weigh per pound? Half are pressure
treated and half aren't. (It will hold 180 8-foot 2x4s and I don't
have more than 70's worth.)

But they don't want the thing on the street, even in the parking lane,
only in the yard or driveway and I have no driveway. I had surgery a
couple months ago and it will take me say 2 days to put all the wood
in it, and it will take them 1 to 3 days to pick it up, they say. So
3 to 5 days total.

The bag is I think polypropylene, not a tight weave, so air will get
through. The end of the first day the bag will be only half full.

Is there something I could put under the bag that would help the grass
underneath?

How long before the grass starts to die?

Does it matter what time of year, how cold out it is? I have more
surgery at the end of January so December/January would be good for
me. If not then it may have to wait until June.

Old 19-12-2008, 12:02 AM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

mm wrote:
[...]

Is this real. A week will not kill the grass. Discolored yes, but it will
bounce back up. I guess that you are in a highly urban neighbourhood
otherwise give the wood to folk who can use it either as mulch or for
heating. You didn't mention whether it had been sprayed with toxins.

Old 19-12-2008, 12:05 AM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

Clot wrote:
mm wrote:
[...]

Bad netiquette, I know. I've just read your comment on HOAs and appreciate
that you are saying this for real.

Old 19-12-2008, 01:38 AM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 18:29:13 -0500, mm
wrote:

I need to leave something on the lawn for a few days, and I wonder if
there is a way to avoid damaging the grass. ..

For a few days, there should not be a problem.

Old 19-12-2008, 06:22 AM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 00:02:05 -0000, "Clot"
wrote:

A week will not kill the grass. Discolored yes, but it will
bounce back up. I guess that you are in a highly urban neighbourhood
otherwise give the wood to folk who can use it either as mulch or for
heating. You didn't mention whether it had been sprayed with toxins.

I did say that about half is pressure treated and half is not. I'd be
glad to give the wood away. I don't like to waste anything, and I
rarely do. It's 30 y.o. (covered in latex stain, but just two thin
coats) and I didn't think anyone would want it. Where do I find people
who would?

I'm not positive how much is treated. I presume the floor boards are
because they have always beem natural color, and are still not rotting
(although half are warped and certainly none are good enough for most
construction)

The 2 foot 4x4's that hold the deck up, but have always been separated
from the ground, are in pretty good shape too. Treated?

The 2x6's running crosswise under the deck are rotteing at the ends,
so I suppose they're not treated.

What have been falling
Old 19-12-2008, 07:16 AM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

In article ,
mm wrote:

I'd be glad to give the wood away. I don't like to waste anything, and I
rarely do. It's 30 y.o. (covered in latex stain, but just two thin
coats) and I didn't think anyone would want it. Where do I find people
who would?

Sort of depends on where you live, but I'd suggest Craigslist. In my
(prosperous) town, you'd be hard pressed to give away a gold brick if it
had a little tarnish on it. OTOH, in my g.f.'s (not so prosperous) town,
if some piece of junk is too big for the trash can, just set it out by
the curb with a FREE sign and it'll be gone in a half hour.
Old 19-12-2008, 08:58 AM
Registered User

I had builders' materials including some very heavy stuff all over my front and back lawns for weeks and weeks last summer. The grass recovered quickly and now you'd never know.
Old 19-12-2008, 10:14 AM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

"mm" wrote in message not. I'd be
glad to give the wood away. I don't like to waste anything, and I
rarely do. It's 30 y.o. (covered in latex stain, but just two thin
coats) and I didn't think anyone would want it. Where do I find people
who would?

You might try the 'freecycle' web site. It is a place where you can list
things to give away. No buying or selling, just give away or list wanted
items for free.
Doubt that someone would take it down for the wood, but you never can tell.

http://www.freecycle.org/group/US/?noautodetect=1

Go to the state you live in.

Old 19-12-2008, 12:35 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

On Dec 18, 5:29*pm, mm wrote:
[...]

160 for a plastic dumpster, call your garbage co that picks up it
should be cheaper, go to Menards HD in the am, in my area there are
day laborers in the lot that work cheap , 160 might get it all done
and no worry about needing a second surgery. Grass wont die in a week
in summer unless sun hits the bag and cooks it, if it froze completely
its dormant now and wont die till spring when it emerges.

Old 19-12-2008, 02:00 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

"mm" wrote in message

I need to leave something on the lawn for a few days, and I wonder if
there is a way to avoid damaging the grass. . . .
The easiest way to remove my small deck, 4' x 8' that is falling
apart, seems to be to get a bagster www.thebagster.com and put the
wood from my deck in it. . . .
it will take me say 2 days to put all the wood
in it, and it will take them 1 to 3 days to pick it up, they say. So
3 to 5 days total.

1. If money is (almost) no object, you can pay a contractor
to disassemble and remove the deck and clear up afterwards.
I do not know the price where you live (Australia) but this will
not take a fit man more than an hour or two.
2. You can do the work yourself at your own speed in either
of two styles, for maximum reuse of good pieces of timber
or for disposal with no reuse.
Case 1 means piling the removed timber in two stacks,
on a base of three or four of the biggest timbers laid on
the grass parallel and one foot apart. This causes no
permanent damage to the grass. You can buy a special
deck disassembly tool with enough leverage to rip out
either screws or nails.
Case 2 means your using a chainsaw to cut everything
into max. 4-ft. lengths, easier to throw into a bagster.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old 19-12-2008, 03:20 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

"mm" wrote

A week will not kill the grass. Discolored yes, but it will
bounce back up. I guess that you are in a highly urban neighbourhood
otherwise give the wood to folk who can use it either as mulch or for
heating. You didn't mention whether it had been sprayed with toxins.

I did say that about half is pressure treated and half is not. I'd be
glad to give the wood away. I don't like to waste anything, and I
rarely do. It's 30 y.o. (covered in latex stain, but just two thin
coats) and I didn't think anyone would want it. Where do I find people
who would?

Freecycle may work and they will pickup. Thats a local list to hopefully
your area where folks give away stuff vice make more landfill. The person
who wants the stuff picks up. Be honest about the state of the wood and
offer to let them pick out just any pieces they find usable, and you'd
probably get 1/2 or more picked up.

Do mention most seems PT (not burnable, toxic fumes) and you are not sure on
the rest.

The 2x6's running crosswise under the deck are rotteing at the ends,
so I suppose they're not treated.

If you were local to me, these are the parts I'd want. I'd just trim back
the rotting ends. I might have a use for some of the bent but unrotted wood
as well. A simple damp cover for firewood, can be a bit bent fine.

Old 19-12-2008, 05:05 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

On Dec 19, 9:00*am, "Don Phillipson" wrote:
"mm" wrote in message

[...]

I'd say 5 days or so and the grass will be fine. Much longer if it's
dormant due to cold weather. If it's possible to use some of the wood
to keep the rest of it slightly above the ground so that air can get
in, that would extend the time as well. It can go without sunlight
longer than it can withstand being smothered. left wet, etc.
Old 20-12-2008, 01:53 AM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden
KLS KLS is offline

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 05:14:24 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message not. I'd be
glad to give the wood away. I don't like to waste anything, and I
rarely do. It's 30 y.o. (covered in latex stain, but just two thin
coats) and I didn't think anyone would want it. Where do I find people
who would?

You might try the 'freecycle' web site. It is a place where you can list
things to give away. No buying or selling, just give away or list wanted
items for free.
Doubt that someone would take it down for the wood, but you never can tell.

http://www.freecycle.org/group/US/?noautodetect=1

Go to the state you live in.

You also can try Craigslist in the forsale/free section, plus I prefer
the ReUseIt network over Freecycle: http://www.reuseitnetwork.org/ .
Freecycle has some controversial ties to Waste Management, Inc.,
whereas RRU is unsullied in that corporate way, from what I
understand. I was very successful in giving away an entire PT play
deck/swingset/slide on my local RRU group: the guy came over and
disassembled it and took away what was probably $500 worth of lumber
(lots of 4x4, 2x6, etc.).
Old 20-12-2008, 02:30 AM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:

"mm" wrote in message not. I'd be
glad to give the wood away. I don't like to waste anything, and I
rarely do. It's 30 y.o. (covered in latex stain, but just two thin
coats) and I didn't think anyone would want it. Where do I find people
who would?

You might try the 'freecycle' web site. It is a place where you can list
things to give away. No buying or selling, just give away or list wanted
items for free.
Doubt that someone would take it down for the wood, but you never can tell.

http://www.freecycle.org/group/US/?noautodetect=1

Go to the state you live in.

Thanks, Ralph and cshenk. I signed up, but they said it can be 7
days until I'm approved!

.....Well, I just got an email that they want my full address, and the
cross street. They want me to prove I live in their district, I guess
because there are too many free-nappers out there. I guess Baltimore
used to have just one group, but not it has three outlying groups
covering some parts of Baltimore, and you have to join the one you
live in.

"To foil predatory spammers and ensure you are joining the correct
group, we now require more specific location information." It's
either sad or funny.