Old 26-05-2003, 03:08 AM
Bay Area Dave

Default How do I remove and replace the lawnmower blade?

there is. use an impact wrench. that means having a compressor. oh
well, you asked!

dave

"Brigitte J." wrote:

When I try to turn the bolt, the blade turns with it. I'm sure there's a
simple way, but I haven't figured it out.

All help/advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Brigitte

Old 26-05-2003, 11:20 AM
Die Spammer

iBuyMinis wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong group but is it absolutely necessary to torque the
nut down? Won't the spinning of the crank torque the blade?

thats lazy and insane and asking to get their toe(s) chopped off

Old 26-05-2003, 03:09 PM
John

Who's going to sit there and figure out that a 180 lb man standing (?) on
the end of a 24" breaker bar will deliver 90 ft/lbs of torque? What if you
needed only 75 ft/lbs? Do you know the formula to determine that you'll have
to stand on the breaker bar at 10" from the center of the nut?

It's not rocket science, but neither is changing a lawn mower blade. If you
need to, rent/buy a torque wrench.

"Ermalina" wrote in message
iBuyMinis wrote:

Taking off the blade is easy, it's torquing it down to ensure
that it does not fly off is the difficult part.

"torquing it down" difficult?

1. You know your weight in pounds.

2. You know the length of the wrench in feet.

3. You know the desired torque in foot-pounds.

It's neither rocket science nor brain surgery.

Old 26-05-2003, 03:44 PM
iBuyMinis

Don't be a twit.

How come others got the gist of what I was asking but you are way out in
left field? I never said for the nut not to be torque down, I was asking
whether or not the spinning action of the crank will continue to torque the
bolt down.

You are the lazy one for not reading carefully before jumping to conclusion.

Old 26-05-2003, 03:56 PM
iBuyMinis

Okay:

(1) Turn mower sideways ensuring that carb is positioned correctly
(2) Unplug spark plug cable
(3) Buy and apply blade lock gadget
(4) Buy or borrow air compressor from neighbor
(5) Buy torque wrench

Exactly how much will a shop charge to do the damn thing - lol.

Old 26-05-2003, 07:20 PM
Ermalina

"Ermalina" wrote in message
iBuyMinis wrote:

Taking off the blade is easy, it's torquing it down to ensure
that it does not fly off is the difficult part.

"torquing it down" difficult?

1. You know your weight in pounds.

2. You know the length of the wrench in feet.

3. You know the desired torque in foot-pounds.

It's neither rocket science nor brain surgery.

A 180 pound man, standing at the end of a horizontally-oriented 2 foot
breaker bar so that the force is applied vertically produces a torque of
360 ft-lbs (not 90).

Technically, Torque = R X F, the crossproduct of the displacement and
force vectors. So, as long as the force is applied at a 90 degree angle,
the torque is simply the force multiplied by the distance from the pivot
point. That's about as simple a "formula" as you can get.

How hard is it to determine that if you want to produce a torque of 50
ft-lbs (the recommendation for my mower) that if you weigh 180 lbs, then
apply your weight fully (stand or whatever) between 1/4 and 1/3 ft (3 or
4 inches) down the length of the breaker bar? No need for great
precision. Like I said it's neither rocket science nor brain surgery.
Old 26-05-2003, 10:11 PM
Edwin Pawlowski

"John" wrote in message
Who's going to sit there and figure out that a 180 lb man standing (?) on
the end of a 24" breaker bar will deliver 90 ft/lbs of torque? What if you
needed only 75 ft/lbs?

Evidently you don't know math very well. There are books on the subject and
they give many formulas to work with. You will get that 90# much closer
than you state.
Ed

Old 26-05-2003, 10:32 PM
Chas Hurst

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
gy.com...

"John" wrote in message
Who's going to sit there and figure out that a 180 lb man standing (?)

on
the end of a 24" breaker bar will deliver 90 ft/lbs of torque? What if

you
needed only 75 ft/lbs?

Evidently you don't know math very well. There are books on the subject

and
they give many formulas to work with. You will get that 90# much closer
than you state.
Ed

Or arithmatic. A 180lb man standing on 24" bar will produce 360 ftlbs of
torque.

Old 26-05-2003, 10:44 PM
J&K Copeland

"nospam" wrote in message

"Mike H" 1newsATstelliteDOTmailshellDOTcom wrote in message
Remove the wire from the spark plug first.

--
Mike H

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
In article , Brigitte J.
wrote:

When I try to turn the bolt, the blade turns with it. I'm sure

there's
simple way, but I haven't figured it out.

Hold the blade, then turn the bolt. If you can't hold the blade with a
gloved hand, block it from turning with a scrap piece of wood.

djb

--
"I'll do the stupid thing first and then you shy people follow..." -

Frank
Zappa

Yes, for God's sake disconnect that spark plug!

Somehow I was also wondering if that nut might be left-handed. I have a
Murray gas mower that I was going to pull the blade from and

sharpen/balance
the blade.

No, not likely. Lawnmowers blades are all made to "tighten" the bolt if
they slip any. Otherwise, the motor torque could possibly spin the
retaining bolt loose.

James...

Old 26-05-2003, 10:56 PM
J&K Copeland

"Brigitte J." wrote in message
When I try to turn the bolt, the blade turns with it. I'm sure there's a
simple way, but I haven't figured it out.

All help/advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Brigitte

Buy and air compressor. Doesn't have to be a 7 HP monster, in fact, a 1 HP
with a 20 gallon tank has served me well for 25 years now. (Used for
everything from blowing dust off the lawnmower, to blowing up kids swimming
pools to airing up automobile tires, an air compressor is not indispensable
to a home owner, but it's towards the top of the list.)

Buy a 1/2" drive impact wrench and a cheap set of impact sockets. (Go cheap
unless you think you're going in the tire changing business).

Turn the mower on it's side.

I'd disconnect the spark plug, but I'm a worry worth. I've never seen a
mower fire without the deadman's switch engaged.

Dribble some penetrating oil on the bolt head.

Wait 15 minutes.

!Bet that impact wrench will spin off that bolt in less than two seconds.
That's how they take them off in the lawnmower shops.

BTW, if the blade is REALLY beat up, buy a new one. They don't cost that
much.

I always balance my blades. I don't think it's necessary to balance a
blade, but it seems to reduce vibration. They sell a cheap (a couple of
bucks) little item in the auto parts store that works fine for balancing
mower blades. (My mower deck has three blades, and it really helps with
them)

James......

Old 27-05-2003, 12:08 AM
John

Again, my bad. I forgot to add "at 1 ft." My physics degree kinda went out
of the window when I joined management. :-)

Old 27-05-2003, 12:32 AM
Java Man (Espressopithecus)

In article , miller.john@charter-
ihatespam-.net says...
Again, my bad. I forgot to add "at 1 ft." My physics degree kinda went out
of the window when I joined management. :-)

That degree is still out there. ;-)

A 180 lb man standing on the bar 6 inches from the nut would produce 90
lb. ft. of torque.

Rick

Old 28-05-2003, 07:08 AM
Bob

Disconnect the plug wire. Hold the blade with one hand and use the wrench
with the other. If it won't budge, try turning the other way, some are
reverse threaded.

Bob

"Brigitte J." wrote in message
When I try to turn the bolt, the blade turns with it. I'm sure there's a
simple way, but I haven't figured it out.

All help/advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Brigitte

question about lawnmower blade noise [email protected] Lawns 10 05-04-2008 01:38 AM
lawnmower blade [email protected] Lawns 13 25-05-2006 04:14 PM
LawnMower Blade Steve Gardening 5 03-06-2005 03:33 PM
riding lawnmower blade question Snydley Lawns 9 14-05-2004 12:02 PM
mower blade stuck.. Q: how to remove.. Sundar Narasimhan Gardening 4 17-06-2003 11:44 PM