Old 04-07-2004, 07:03 AM
stevey

Default Riding Lawn Mowers

Who makes the Best 1-2 Acre riding lawn mower.
Cost
warranty
life cycle..

Old 04-07-2004, 05:03 PM
evolutionman 2004

Check past 2 months issues of Consumer Reports magazine. #1 - John Deere,
#2 - Troy Bilt, #3 - Craftsman; there arevarious models, depending upon
what features you want.

Items to consider: budget, size of mowing deck (wider the better: 42-inch
vs. 48 inch), available accessories (attachement point to tractor (low vs
high)), manual gear vs automatic; horsepower (the bigger is NOT always the
better), ergonomics (easy to reach controls - levers, switches not in your
way), & is the seat back high enough to support your back (high back is
better than low back).

Old 04-07-2004, 08:04 PM
Srgnt Bilko

ink.net...
Check past 2 months issues of Consumer Reports magazine. #1 - John Deere,
#2 - Troy Bilt, #3 - Craftsman; there arevarious models, depending upon
what features you want.

Items to consider: budget, size of mowing deck (wider the better: 42-inch
vs. 48 inch),

Wider is better if the lawn is smooth but if it is uneven with lots of
obstacles, the narrower might have an advantage.

Old 09-07-2004, 01:40 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally posted by stevey
Who makes the Best 1-2 Acre riding lawn mower.
Cost
warranty
life cycle..
Cost: 'you get what you pay for'. What is your budget? How much are you willing to spend? How much is comfort worth to you? How about ease of maintenance? Durability? Can your back handle a rough ride, or are you willing to spend extra for a very good seat? Willing to spend the extra for a quiet riding, liquid-cooled engine, or is a noisier air-cooled engine going to be o.k. Many factors involved when you are asking for "the best."

Watch out for warranty -- all sorts of wild claims out there. Some offer up to three years, some offer a lifetime on certain components; but in the fine print, you'll find that they may only cover parts or labor but not both; they may choose to fix something by any method they choose. Find a good, bumper-to-bumper 2-year full warranty.

Life cycle? A commercial mower with heavy-gauge steel construction and liquid-cooled engine may last you a lifetime; any air-cooled engine will be ready for the rubbish pile in less than 2,000 hours. Kind of depends if you want a long-lasting investment or if you're willing to spend the money again in 3 or 4 years for a new mower.

Finally, I personally believe the consumer reports are a bit rigged -- I notice that the brands they choose, happen to be brands that advertise in their publications. Use the Internet or go to a reputable mower dealer to get the real scoop.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:02 AM
Srgnt Bilko

"PrestoChang0" wrote in
message .. .

stevey wrote:
*Who makes the Best 1-2 Acre riding lawn mower.
Cost
warranty
life cycle.. *

Life cycle? A commercial mower with heavy-gauge steel construction and
liquid-cooled engine may last you a lifetime;

and cost you maybe $10,000

any air-cooled engine
will be ready for the rubbish pile in less than 2,000 hours. Kind of
depends if you want a long-lasting investment or if you're willing to
spend the money again in 3 or 4 years for a new mower.

Hhmm - 2000 hrs / 4 years - 500 hrs per year - that's enough for most
neighborhoods. I'd guess the average homeowner uses less than 20 hours per
season around here. I'm running air-cooled Kohlers that are over 20 years
old - a 30 yo B&S on a Wards sits in the weeds cause it is locked in gear

Old 09-07-2004, 11:02 AM
Bob

"PrestoChang0" wrote in
stevey wrote:
Finally, I personally believe the consumer reports are a bit rigged --

I notice that the brands they choose, happen to be brands that
advertise in their publications. Use the Internet or go to a reputable
mower dealer to get the real scoop.

Was wondering how you "noticed" what brands they advertise in their pub's
since Consumer Reports does not accept adverising from anyone, any company,
anyway!!!!!

That one BS statement casts doubts on the rest of your message.

Pure BS!!!

Bob

Old 09-07-2004, 08:03 PM
Roll Tide

If you spend more than $1350.00 you could be riding a Deere.

Bob wrote in message
ink.net...

Old 10-07-2004, 02:02 AM
Steveo

"Roll Tide" wrote:
If you spend more than $1350.00 you could be riding a Deere.

Yep, disposables are in that price range. 5-10 years depending on
care and application. Buy the one with the most engine and frame.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:02 AM
JB

"PrestoChang0" wrote in
message .. .

Finally, I personally believe the consumer reports are a bit rigged --
I notice that the brands they choose, happen to be brands that
advertise in their publications.

PrestoChang0 You had me until here. Consumer Reports does not accept
advertising.

Old 10-07-2004, 03:03 AM
Srgnt Bilko

"Steveo" wrote in message
"Roll Tide" wrote:
If you spend more than $1350.00 you could be riding a Deere.

Yep, disposables are in that price range. 5-10 years depending on
care and application. Buy the one with the most engine and frame.

People are paying that much for 10 year old JD's around here. I bought my
110 for $850 about 5 years ago and I think it was 15 years old when I got
it - but I have had a tie-rod end break - and I do have to change the oil
and put gas in.

Old 10-07-2004, 03:03 AM
Steveo

"Srgnt Bilko" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"Roll Tide" wrote:
If you spend more than $1350.00 you could be riding a Deere.

Yep, disposables are in that price range. 5-10 years depending on
care and application. Buy the one with the most engine and frame.

People are paying that much for 10 year old JD's around here. I bought
my 110 for $850 about 5 years ago and I think it was 15 years old when I
got it - but I have had a tie-rod end break - and I do have to change the
oil and put gas in.

I understand your point, but for an average consumer that cuts his acre
the mtd machines ain't bad for $1350 brand new. Like I said, it depends
a lot on the application and maintenance..biggest engine and frame in
that price range, if it was me on that budget.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:02 AM
Srgnt Bilko

"Steveo" wrote in message
"Srgnt Bilko" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"Roll Tide" wrote:
If you spend more than $1350.00 you could be riding a Deere.

Yep, disposables are in that price range. 5-10 years depending on
care and application. Buy the one with the most engine and frame.

People are paying that much for 10 year old JD's around here. I bought
my 110 for $850 about 5 years ago and I think it was 15 years old when I
got it - but I have had a tie-rod end break - and I do have to change

the
oil and put gas in.

I understand your point, but for an average consumer that cuts his acre
the mtd machines ain't bad for $1350 brand new. Like I said, it depends
a lot on the application and maintenance..biggest engine and frame in
that price range, if it was me on that budget.

The way MTD is going - gobbling up other outfits - we might not have a
choice in another 5 years. What do they have - Cub Cadet, Bolens,
Troybuilt - and the list goes on.

Old 10-07-2004, 07:02 AM
Steveo

"Srgnt Bilko" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"Srgnt Bilko" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"Roll Tide" wrote:
[...]

Yep, My land is sorta close to their headquarters so I drive by
there on occasion here in Ohio. They keep adding names to their
machines like you said. More buildings going up.

I like them because they employ people that live around me, and
they make the most bang for the buck in small to medium sized
lawn tractors.

They also make some nice high-end gear with that cub line.

American made still gets my attention.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:09 PM
William W. Plummer

Steveo wrote:

"Srgnt Bilko" wrote:

"Steveo" wrote in message

"Roll Tide" wrote:

If you spend more than $1350.00 you could be riding a Deere.

Yep, disposables are in that price range. 5-10 years depending on
care and application. Buy the one with the most engine and frame.

People are paying that much for 10 year old JD's around here. I bought
my 110 for $850 about 5 years ago and I think it was 15 years old when I
got it - but I have had a tie-rod end break - and I do have to change the
oil and put gas in.

I understand your point, but for an average consumer that cuts his acre
the mtd machines ain't bad for $1350 brand new. Like I said, it depends
a lot on the application and maintenance..biggest engine and frame in
that price range, if it was me on that budget.

Biggest is not best. I have about an acre to cut with lots of gardens
and trees. My Sears lawn tractor plus mowing deck is actually too big
and doesn't turn corners as easily as a real riding lawn mower which has
a zero-radius turn capability. Horsepower is an illusion, also. The
number has been going up but I swear the "18.5 hp" models I see now are
the same engine as my 17 year old "12.5 hp" model. Mine can to up hills
that are too steep for safety, so I don't need any more power. In fact,
I usually cut the power down to keep the noise low.
Old 10-07-2004, 04:11 PM
Steveo

"William W. Plummer" wrote:
Horsepower is an illusion, also.

Riiight.

riding lawn mowers [email protected] Gardening 6 23-01-2006 12:50 AM
old John Deere models (was getting good deals on riding lawn mowers) John S. Colton Lawns 2 14-07-2004 01:05 AM
getting good deals on riding lawn mowers John S. Colton Lawns 5 13-07-2004 11:07 PM
Riding mowers Pat Keith Lawns 4 05-05-2003 10:58 PM
Riding mowers Pat Keith Lawns 4 27-03-2003 01:32 AM