Old 09-06-2005, 07:19 PM
Mike

Default Clover

Hello,

Anyone know how to get rid of lots of clover from a lawn?

Also, has anyone used these books that have these home remedies for great
lawns? I've heard of using soap, etc.

Thanks.
Mike

Old 09-06-2005, 07:31 PM
G Henslee

Mike wrote:
Hello,

Anyone know how to get rid of lots of clover from a lawn?

Sheep.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:32 PM
Doug Kanter

Slow down with the weird remedies. I've read in multiple agricultural
sources that clover indicates either a nutrient imbalance or a problem with
pH. Both are easy to deal with, without using any sort of chemical nonsense
(other than lime and/or the right lawn food). Where are you located? And,
what's so bad about clover?

news:1118341156.e0b815b185467d1e27f653fb89b6e333@t eranews...

Old 09-06-2005, 09:46 PM
Steveo

"Mike" wrote:
Hello,

Anyone know how to get rid of lots of clover from a lawn?

Weed b gone liquid, 1.5 ounces per gallon of water. Don't do it if it's
above 82-88 degrees, or if it's gonna rain within 12-24 hours.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:07 AM
Stubby

Mike wrote:
Hello,

Anyone know how to get rid of lots of clover from a lawn?

Also, has anyone used these books that have these home remedies for great
lawns? I've heard of using soap, etc.

Bonide Broadleaf weed killer

Old 10-06-2005, 02:29 PM
Mike

We are in north NJ. The front lawn is zoysia grass and clover just doesn't
fit in with the look we would like. I have limed and fertilized it but
still got the clover all over.
How do you figure out the nutrient/pH imbalance and what do to?

Old 10-06-2005, 03:13 PM
Rolling Thunder

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 18:32:41 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

Slow down with the weird remedies. I've read in multiple agricultural
sources that clover indicates either a nutrient imbalance or a problem with
pH. Both are easy to deal with, without using any sort of chemical nonsense
(other than lime and/or the right lawn food). Where are you located? And,
what's so bad about clover?

snip

Check your PH value. It is likely acid based which lime will correct
and also minimize the clover.

Thunder

Old 10-06-2005, 03:37 PM
Doug Kanter

First, I'd find your cooperative extension on the web. I spotted it once.
It's part of Rutgers, if I recall, and I seem to remember that they provide
soil analysis services for homeowners. Then, speak to someone about how to
adjust in order to deal with clover. It's been years since a had a printed
article about it, so I can't help you with more details. But, it's
definitely do-able. In any case, you have to do a soil analysis before you
keep throwing random nutrients at it.

news:1118410198.e643641dd2bab5e87f66a0dabd2c1f8c@t eranews...

Old 10-06-2005, 03:38 PM
Doug Kanter

wrote:

Slow down with the weird remedies. I've read in multiple agricultural
sources that clover indicates either a nutrient imbalance or a problem
with
pH. Both are easy to deal with, without using any sort of chemical
nonsense
(other than lime and/or the right lawn food). Where are you located? And,
what's so bad about clover?

snip

Check your PH value. It is likely acid based which lime will correct
and also minimize the clover.

Thunder

And, if that's the answer, he won't see fast results. It'll take a season,
at least.

Old 11-06-2005, 03:44 AM
Suzy O

It's neither a nutrient nor a pH imbalance. Somehow clover got in with your
lawn grasses -- sometimes people plant it cuz they want it there.
Apparently you don't. Use a broadleaf herbicide when the weather is on the
cool side (50's or 60's) for it to be most effective.

Suzy, zone 5, Milwaukee

Old 11-06-2005, 05:26 PM

"Slow down with the weird remedies. I've read in multiple agricultural
sources that clover indicates either a nutrient imbalance or a problem
with
pH. Both are easy to deal with, without using any sort of chemical
nonsense
(other than lime and/or the right lawn food). Where are you located?
And,
what's so bad about clover? "

Another fine example that demostrates Doug's ignorance about lawn care.
He thinks any lawn problem can be easily solved without using
chemicals. In fact, clover grows quite nicely in exactly the same soil
nutrient conditions and PH ranges that lawn grasses do. You can fiddle
with nutrients and PH till the cows come home and the clover will still
be there.

Clover is actually beneficial to the lawn, as clover puts nitrogen into
the soil. However if you don't like the look, you can fix it quite
simply with an application of any of the broadleaf weed killers. It
should not be done in very hot weather though.

Old 12-06-2005, 03:43 PM
Doug Kanter

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Just be sure to keep the kids off the lawn for a couple of months.

Old 27-06-2005, 01:52 AM
Suzy O

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
And be sure to keep kids off the lawn for a couple of months.

Months? The typical broadleaf herbicide contains three ingredients:
dicamba, MCPP and 2,4-D. All the sources I've seen report that it's safe to
enter a treated area after the product has dried. If you have other
information, please correct me.

I should add, however, that I am not a proponent of any pesticides,
especially as a first line of defense. I did try to suggest that it's not
necessarily undesirable. But I probably should have explained why, as
clover (like many legumes) fixes nitrogen from the atmosphere to the soil,
meaning you can cut way back on fertilizer.

The OP, however, asked how to get rid of the clover. So what do you suggest
as an alternative? I'm all ears!! Sincerely.

Suzy O

Old 27-06-2005, 03:33 PM
Doug Kanter

"Suzy O" wrote in message
"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
And be sure to keep kids off the lawn for a couple of months.

Months? The typical broadleaf herbicide contains three ingredients:
dicamba, MCPP and 2,4-D. All the sources I've seen report that it's safe
enter a treated area after the product has dried. If you have other
information, please correct me.

Suzy, since these things cannot be properly tested for safety, I'd be
interested in knowing who all your sources were. Seriously. I'm genuinely
interested.

The OP, however, asked how to get rid of the clover. So what do you
suggest
as an alternative? I'm all ears!! Sincerely.

I don't have an alternative. I was just telling you to be careful about
using your lawn for a period of time. Admittedly, the period of time I
suggested was a random choice, but absent any testing method you can trust,
hey....sometimes you have to guess.