Old 21-01-2008, 08:47 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default Angraecum ID?

A friend gave me two of this plant but no tag Last year, the other tried
to bloom but the spike aborted. This year, flowers!

Anyone know what it is? Likely it's a species... And I can probably get
better pictures if it would help. Oh, the plant is BIG. Probably the
leafspan is 2 feet or more.

Thanks!
Jerry

Attached Thumbnails
Angraecum ID?-img_1035.jpg   Angraecum ID?-img_1032.jpg   Angraecum ID?-img_1033.jpg   Angraecum ID?-img_1034.jpg

Old 23-01-2008, 02:05 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default Angraecum ID? & a question.

Glad you posted this Jerry, as it made me look at my data base list of
Angcm's & old pics.
I know I lost my giant Angcm. eburneum subsp. superbum to a bad case of
scale & it had huge thick leaves.
Anyway here is a fantastic web site:-
www.angraecum.org
My question is:- Is there a difference between ssp & subsp & if so what
does it mean?
Cheers Wendy

Old 23-01-2008, 07:14 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

dunno...

if you were close to me, I'd let you have one of mine - I have two. Too
huge to ship tho I think.

Thanks for the website - I'll check it out!

Old 23-01-2008, 03:52 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Yes, I know what you mean Jerry, the same thing happened to me with the
various names?
Thanks for the offer by the way.
I have to check my tags & straighten out my data base. Upon further study, I
noticed that
the various subsp. of eburneum pertain to the area of their habitat.
Also two of the flowers are identical in shape but one is larger? I need to
read up some more.
Cheers Wendy

Old 24-01-2008, 06:02 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

interesting... I think it's more likely superbum but I will have to bring
the plant up and compare once the flowers are fully open (and likely they
are now but I haven't been back there to look...). Thanks Ray!

Old 24-01-2008, 09:56 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Hell, I'm no expert. I just scanned through Jay's pics until I saw one that
looked similar. I never even got to superbum! Looking at the photo's, I
would guess that the spur length difference might be a good indicator.

Do the descriptions help:

Ang. giryamae: Said to be a subspecies of Angraecum eburneum, I will
separate it for now. Differs by having flowers with the lip slightly wider
than long, obscurely 3-lobed in the upper part and has a spur that is less
than 2.4" [6 cm] long and occurs only in Kenya and Tanzania.

Ang. superbum: A hot growing epiphyte or occasional lithophyte that occurs
in hot damp tropical woods on the east side of Madagascar as well as eastern
Africa and the Indian Ocean Islands at elevations below 400 meters. This
orchid needs Cattleya like light levels to stimulate blooming which occurs
in the fall and early winter on axillary, 4' [120 cm] long, stout, densly
many flowered racemes that can be as long or longer than the leaves carrying
many nocturnal, long-lasting, waxy, fragrant flowers that occur after heavy
summer fertilizing.

Old 25-01-2008, 07:35 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Yeah, I was looking at Jay's pix too. I didn't realize there were so many
angraecums! I was just down to the GH and didn't look closely at the spur
length. hopefully, over the weekend I'll remember to bring it up or a
laptop w/ wireless down.

Thanks again Ray...
Jerry

"Ray B" wrote in message
http://www.orchidspecies.com/anggirayme.htm

"Jerry Hoffmeister" wrote in message
. ..
A friend gave me two of this plant but no tag Last year, the other
tried to bloom but the spike aborted. This year, flowers!

Anyone know what it is? Likely it's a species... And I can probably
get better pictures if it would help. Oh, the plant is BIG. Probably
the leafspan is 2 feet or more.

Thanks!
Jerry

Rate This Thread: