Old 12-08-2005, 02:42 PM
J Fortuna

Default new growing conditions

We recently moved to a new 2-bedroom+den condo (yay). This means that I have
more space to expand my orchid collection :-). However, I still need to
figure out the new conditions.

One of the windows is an unobstructed northern window -- we plan to add
florescent lights in the window niche -- do I understand correctly that 4
regular florescent tubes next to each other is the way to go?

The rest of the windows are east facing, but unfortunately heavily shaded by
trees, so I think I still need to supplement with additional lights.

One thing I have noticed is that the orchids have been drying out slower in
the last two weeks, and a couple of them had some mold on top of the medium.
Now the weather in the Washington DC area has been rainy and cooler this
past week, so I assume part of the issue is weather. Also I know that I
still need to add more lights, and hopefully that will help with this
problem.

I am wondering whether the air movement is sufficient or not. The orchids
are currently at windows in a fairly big living and dining room area.
However, a large number of the orchids are now on the window sill of the
afore-mentioned window niche -- it is an area about 6 feet long, 1 foot
deep, and about 2.5 feet high; it is not a bay window, since it has the
window on only one side, and walls on the other sides. Would such an area be
likely to have insufficient air movement, even if this window is in a large
room? Should I try to install a fan nearby -- how could I tell whether a fan
is necessary or overkill?

I still have not put any orchids in the master bedroom of the new place,
which also has a heavily shaded eastern window, and the living room window
space is not exhausted yet. So I truly have some space to expand my
addiction (yay). However, I will try to resist the temptation of placing any
orchids in the room that is to become the child's room -- I will need to
figure out how to keep the young rascal out of my orchids once he becomes a
toddler, but since he won't be born until early January or late December,
and at the beginning he won't be mobile, I figure I still have time enough
till I have to worry about child-proofing the orchids' areas.

Oh, and the new place also has a den without any windows, in the future once
I exhaust the window space, I could experiment with growing orchids only
under artificial lights in there. I had hoped that we would find a place
with better windows for the orchids, but in this housing market I am just
thrilled we found a place that met our needs and is really nice. I figure my
orchids can adapt to these conditions, especially once I have improved them.
And considering that our old apartment had only heavily shaded northern
windows, this should be an improvement or at least not any worse.

Joanna

Old 12-08-2005, 03:21 PM
Rob

J Fortuna wrote:
We recently moved to a new 2-bedroom+den condo (yay). This means that I have
more space to expand my orchid collection :-). However, I still need to
figure out the new conditions.

That is the fun part.

One of the windows is an unobstructed northern window -- we plan to add
florescent lights in the window niche -- do I understand correctly that 4
regular florescent tubes next to each other is the way to go?

My rule (of thumb) is one 4' tube for every 6" of width. 4 over a 2'
wide windowsill. But, in northern window you will get some indirect
light. Can probably get away with 1 tube for every foot. Depends on
what you are trying to grow.

I am wondering whether the air movement is sufficient or not. The orchids
are currently at windows in a fairly big living and dining room area.
However, a large number of the orchids are now on the window sill of the
afore-mentioned window niche -- it is an area about 6 feet long, 1 foot
deep, and about 2.5 feet high; it is not a bay window, since it has the
window on only one side, and walls on the other sides. Would such an area be
likely to have insufficient air movement, even if this window is in a large
room? Should I try to install a fan nearby -- how could I tell whether a fan
is necessary or overkill?

A fan is never overkill... You are probably getting good air movement.
A small clip on fan will not hurt one bit, however.

I still have not put any orchids in the master bedroom of the new place,
which also has a heavily shaded eastern window, and the living room window
space is not exhausted yet. So I truly have some space to expand my
addiction (yay). However, I will try to resist the temptation of placing any
orchids in the room that is to become the child's room -- I will need to
figure out how to keep the young rascal out of my orchids once he becomes a
toddler, but since he won't be born until early January or late December,
and at the beginning he won't be mobile, I figure I still have time enough
till I have to worry about child-proofing the orchids' areas.

That is dangerous. And congratulations! From my experience, toddlers
start getting into orchids when they are about a year old. *grin* Keep
them on a high shelf. Better still to keep all orchids out of the
child's room, until she is old enough to collect them for herself.

Rob

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1

Old 12-08-2005, 04:24 PM
Steve

Rob wrote:
That is dangerous. And congratulations! From my experience, toddlers
start getting into orchids when they are about a year old. *grin* Keep
them on a high shelf...................................

Or, she could just keep the orchids up high and leave the toddler on the
ground.

:-0
Old 12-08-2005, 07:43 PM
Diana Kulaga

Congratulations, Joanna! You are going to have your hands full, my
dear........

Diana

Old 13-08-2005, 12:38 AM
J Fortuna

Thank you Rob!

I have a follow-up question:

Most of my orchids are Phals and Paphs, but I do have a couple of
mini-catts. I was thinking of mounting the lights in such a way that they
would be about 20" or so above the plants' leaves to leave room for most of
the spikes (though some of them are taller than that, and those I would need
to place elsewhere). Would a 20" distance from the light tubes be enough for
the mini-catts?

Since the window niche is 14 inches deep, according to your rule, two 4'
tubes would be enough? I saw fixtures that held 4 tubes in a similar
space -- would it be ok to buy 4 tubes, or would that result in too much
light and/or too much heat? Would the Phals and Paphs be ok with a higher
light level if I decide to go with more than 2 tubes?

Thanks for the advice. And LOL in response to the following exchange. By the
way, I noticed that you changed my "he" to a "she", however I know already
that I am having a boy -- unless the ultrasounds are incorrect of course.
Joanna

Old 13-08-2005, 02:57 AM
Steve

Oh, I wondered if my little bit of humor would be misunderstood. I wrote
the word "she" referring to you, not your future toddler. I have the
habit of reading something and seeing the meaning and at least one
alternate meaning. Naturally, I read Rob's advise as suggesting you put
your child on a shelf.

Steve

J Fortuna wrote:

.................. And LOL in response to the following exchange. By the
way, I noticed that you changed my "he" to a "she", however I know already
that I am having a boy -- unless the ultrasounds are incorrect of course.
Joanna

"Steve" wrote in message

............................................. .

Old 13-08-2005, 03:25 AM
Steve

J Fortuna wrote:

[...]

Joanna,
I'm sure Rob will be along with his advice. In the mean time I'll offer
my opinion.
I don't think you would ever regret going with 4 tubes. I think 20" is a
reasonable distance considering that you are only supplementing the
light from a big north facing window.
Here is a picture of one small part of my growing area:
http://stevewilson.homestead.com/files/lights.jpg
I took that picture when I had one of the benches turned over to fix
something. I use 6 tubes spaced about as close together as I could get
them. I keep my plants only 6 to 8 inches from the lights but then I'm
growing in the basement and there are no windows near that area.
Mini Catts do very well with that light and it's not too much for Paphs
either.
Enjoy your new place!

Steve
Old 13-08-2005, 04:42 AM
J Fortuna

Steve,

Oh I understood your humor alright, and appreciated it. But I still think
that someone in this thread at some point started referring to my child as a
"she" -- indeed upon rereading I discover that it was Rob:
Better still to keep all orchids out of the
child's room, until she is old enough to collect them for herself.

Hence, my correction.

I appreciate your advice about the lights!

Thanks,
Joanna

J Fortuna wrote:

.................. And LOL in response to the following exchange. By the
way, I noticed that you changed my "he" to a "she", however I know

already
that I am having a boy -- unless the ultrasounds are incorrect of

course.
Joanna

"Steve" wrote in message

............................................. .

Old 13-08-2005, 08:18 AM
Reka

Steve wrote:

[...]

What three types of lights are in there?

--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html
Old 13-08-2005, 12:04 PM
Ray

Joanna,

If Rob's rule-of-thumb says you can get by with two, there's nothing that
says four won't work! As a matter of fact, if you go with four you'll be
much happier in the long run, and you'll be able to grow somewhat
higher-light plants there as well.

By the way, congratulations on the future son. When do we all get to
celebrate (that coincides with when you and your husband stop sleeping)?

Old 13-08-2005, 03:38 PM
J Fortuna

Ray,

Thank you. We foresee that we shall stop sleeping either at the end of this
year (December 30th or so) or the beginning of next year (January 4th or
so). These are the two due dates that I got so far. We are just so glad we
have moved now already. It's amazing the number of people I talked to who
moved within a couple of weeks of having the child, and that would be just
insane.

I shall get four tubes then. Sounds like a plan. Especially since I already
have some plants that would be happier with higher-light -- my Burrageara
Nelly Isler is not doing well, and Al has suggested that it might want more
light, and less heat (the less heat is not a problem in the new place, which
in general has lower temps on average, and if it is really hot, the air
conditioning actually works here, as opposed to in our old apartment
complex).

Joanna

Old 13-08-2005, 08:42 PM
Susan Erickson

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 14:38:56 GMT, "J Fortuna"
wrote:

[...]

Should we all push for Dec. 30 and the tax deduction? G
Best to the there of you.
SuE
Old 14-08-2005, 05:29 AM
Steve

Reka wrote:
Steve wrote:

[...]

The pink looking ones are Grow-lux wide spectrum. They are not as
expensive as most plant fluorescents so I use a few. I'm not real
convinced that they grow plants any better than ordinary cool whites.
I believe the white ones are Cool whites and the bluish ones are some
weird brand that were supposed to be better for people in offices. They
got sent to me by mistake several years ago and I didn't want them. The
company didn't want to pay to have them returned so they offered to let
me keep them for a cheap price. I mixed them in with the other plant
lights as shown and I think they are all gone now. Now I just use the
other two.
By the way, I've never believed that the warm white tubes offered
anything for plants. I know people mix them with cool whites but I think
using all cool whites would be better than that mix. I base that on
things that I read many years ago. I could be re-educated on that point
if someone has proof (not opinion).

Steve .... who can answer a simple question with a thousand words. :-)
Old 14-08-2005, 05:31 AM
Steve

OK, I do remember reading that now that you pass it by me again. I feel
better. :-)

J Fortuna wrote:

.................. And LOL in response to the following exchange. By the
way, I noticed that you changed my "he" to a "she", however I know

already

that I am having a boy -- unless the ultrasounds are incorrect of

course.

Joanna

"Steve" wrote in message

............................................. .

Old 15-08-2005, 02:21 PM
Rob

Ray wrote:
Joanna,

If Rob's rule-of-thumb says you can get by with two, there's nothing that
says four won't work! As a matter of fact, if you go with four you'll be
much happier in the long run, and you'll be able to grow somewhat
higher-light plants there as well.

By the way, congratulations on the future son. When do we all get to
celebrate (that coincides with when you and your husband stop sleeping)?

I agree with Ray and Steve. Four is better than two. Most people who
ask that question are looking for validation not to spend money on more
lights... But more is better. 20" sounds ok if you are supplementing,
although I don't know that cattleyas would do well 20" away from tubes
if that is all you had.

I always edit babies to she, since that is the variety I know best. *grin*

Rob

Arid Growing Conditions Orchids 2 04-07-2004 05:02 AM
slc wendy's valentine 'june'/ growing conditions Richard Silverstein Orchids 8 01-06-2004 08:03 PM
Best conditions for seed Janet Tweedy United Kingdom 0 02-11-2003 11:32 PM
Window boxes/windy conditions C Tate United Kingdom 0 10-06-2003 05:44 PM
my current water conditions SlimFlem Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 20-04-2003 06:16 AM