Old 25-03-2006, 03:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Palantir

Default Is something eating up my phal?

Hello,
My nickname is Palantir, and I am typing from northern Italy. I am following
this group from a few months, but this is my first post.

My tiny collection is made up by four phalaenopsis plants, all of which are
blooming right now, and seem doing well, even if I have quite bad humidity
conditions (often it drops below 20%, despite the humidifier, now with the
end of the winter it's getting better -- I have 40% now!

There is only one single leaf which does not seem to be quite healthy: could
you please check this picture, and tell me what do you think about this? Is
something eating up the leaf? Is it a problem?

The second question: is thie keiki on pic 2 ready to be repotted? I suppose
I have to wait until it stops blooming, am I right?

Thanks for any advice,
Palantir

Pic 1:
http://www.netpalantir.it/phal1.jpg

Pic 2:
http://www.netpalantir.it/phal2.jpg
the leaf of picture 1 is the rightmost visible.

--
Palantir === http://www.netpalantir.it
icq:57482808 === Per scrivermi in priv togli la chiocciola
Old 25-03-2006, 03:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray

Welcome aboard, Palantir.

I suspect that is slug or snail damage, and yes, that keiki can be repotted
at any time.

You might want to consider this: bend the flower spike over so you can pot
up the keiki without detaching it. Once it gets established in the pot, you
can snip the spike and the keiki will be independent with little, if any
stress.

Old 25-03-2006, 05:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna

If it is snail or slug damage, here is an article that suggests methods of
fighting these critters:
http://www.orchidlady.com/pages/orch...-11/index.html

Best,
Joanna

news

Old 26-03-2006, 04:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Palantir

J Fortuna wrote:

If it is snail or slug damage, here is an article that suggests methods of
fighting these critters:
http://www.orchidlady.com/pages/orch...-11/index.html

Thank you for advice and link. I will start the slug chase tonight... ;-)

Palantir

Old 26-03-2006, 04:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Palantir

Reka wrote:

Hi, Palantir! Where are you in Italy? I am in Alto Adige.

Relly? Then we are neighbors: I live in Trento

You have some nice aerial roots on that keiki. Make sure you soak them in
tepid water for at least 15 minutes before you pot it up. That way they
will become soft and pliable and won't break as easily when you put them
into the pot.

I will try that, as soon as the flower fades down...
Palantir

Old 27-03-2006, 02:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Palantir

Reka wrote:

Even closer than you think! I am from Magrč all'Adige.
Did you hear about our orchid show in Termeno at the end of February?

Indeed, you're just around the corner
I have checked your web site You have a beautiful orchid collection. I
have just three decent phals. I bought one of them at the orchid show that
was held in Padova in february. The other two were gifts I received last
year, they re-bloomed in the end of december and they have not lost their
flowers yet.

I also have two other phalaenopsis, but when I got them they were in *very*
poor conditions, and at the moment I am trying to recover them.

Unfortunately I have missed the show in Termeno Is is a recurring event?

Palantir