Old 26-11-2006, 05:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Good minicatts?

Hey everyone,

With my new Orchidarium, I've got the ability to grow some minicatts.
Unfortunately, minicatt in the greenhouse world can be a GIANT in my
Orchidarium. I was wondering if anyone had advice on *really* small
minicatts, under 6" blooming size. I plan on mounting whatever I get, rather
than growing in a pot.

I have good humidity and a temp range of 60-70 to 80 depending upon how warm
it is outside. As we move into winter, my days aren't hitting 76, 78, 80
like they were 2 months ago, but my nights are staying at 60-62.

Thanks!

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

Old 26-11-2006, 06:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Sophronitis? S. cernua et al but there's a Soph argh... very small,
coccinea shape...Rubra? (an old name...) anyway J&L has these, but you'd
probably do better to get them locally or from Andy's. L alaorii (Alan Koch
has these) Or any of the L pumila types - plus the L. dayanas at SBOE
looked great.(you had some good one's in your recent page)

I mention species becasue I know you are a species nut.

What else is fun.... golly I can't think. Most Mini cats are going to be
rather big... or sprawly.

K Barrett

Old 26-11-2006, 07:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

S wittigiana is what I was thinking of. brevipedunculata is nice too.
Fordyce had some of the best coccineas - a 4N from Japan that he uses in
breeding, but maybe a piece escaped into other hands. Fred Shull is selling
off his collection, he may have some of these, or at least some advice.
Dennis Olivas may have some too. I *think* Fred Shull will be selling at
the Paph House's (Fred & Francisco) open house Dec 2. Alan Koch made a
hybrid with L praestans and L alaorii that I thought was gorgeous. No name
yet.

Old 26-11-2006, 07:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 11:09:47 -0800, "K Barrett"
wrote:

S wittigiana is what I was thinking of. brevipedunculata is nice too.
Fordyce had some of the best coccineas - a 4N from Japan that he uses in
breeding, but maybe a piece escaped into other hands. Fred Shull is selling
off his collection, he may have some of these, or at least some advice.
Dennis Olivas may have some too. I *think* Fred Shull will be selling at
the Paph House's (Fred & Francisco) open house Dec 2. Alan Koch made a
hybrid with L praestans and L alaorii that I thought was gorgeous. No name
yet.

If you run into Alan he has several primary hybrids that are lovely as
well. As does H&R. Either may have a few select clones from the
species they keep for breeding, if your tracking things down.

Have fun and please show us your new growing space.
SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids
Old 26-11-2006, 10:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Pot. Little Toshie. There are several clones out there ('Gold Country,'
'Yellow Rose'). Bloomin' idiots! 4-5" tall (including flowers but not
including pots). Kenni

Old 26-11-2006, 10:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Kathy,

I got a Sophronitis cernua from SBOE ($$$ btw!) I thought my case was too
warm for Sophronitis coccinea. Tom Perlite has a bunch of 4N S. coccinea
coming out of community pots and he's growing them with his Masdevallias.

I have a Laelia alaorii - a division from a plant we had at OrchidMania,
originally from Gold Country. You were with me when I got it at Alan's open
house a couple years ago!

Believe it or not, I'm actually interested in the hybrids. Something I
*know* will be easy to grow/bloom. I don't want to fill the case with them,
but 3-4-5 would be nice.

I'm trying to find a Cattleya luteola - those are supposed to be easy
growers/bloomers. Ecuagenera usually brings one or two, but that's the only
place I've found them.

I was wondering about things like crosses involving C. aclandiae with any of
the small growing rupiculous laelias and/or the small sophronitis or C.
luteola. Most of those are antique crosses, and I've googled around a bit
for them, but no luck. I *love* the brazilian bifoliate catts, and C.
aclandiae is one of the smallest growing ones.

Thanks!

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

Old 26-11-2006, 11:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Good! I forgot you got an L alaorii. I got one too,*G*! Have you any
interest in L lundii? A very small flower, nice stripey lip, but can be
mounted. Flower is about 1/2" across (very small), makes a mat of small
p/bulbs and flowers. On second thought it may be too small/insignificant to
look at.

Fordyce's Circle of Life and its progeny are coming into flower now. Very
nice stuff. But Kenni might be right about Little Toshie. There's an
awarded one on teh Pac Central web page. And if you can find Sierra Doll or
any of its offspring (progeny?) they are rewarding. Large flowers for the
size of the plant. I think there are a few doll type plants on the Pac
central web page (I think they are Slc.s) http://www.aospacificcentral.org

The aclandidae crosses I have are sort of large. Let me look and see what I
have. I want to say I have a Landate crossed back onto aclandiae, and I
have a something or other 'Black Princess' AM/AOS ( I didn't get that award)
but its a smaller sized plant. And a heavily spotted flower. I got it from
Scott Dallas. Both these bloom better when their roots hang over the sides
of the pot.

I've noticed that alot of mini catts are really sprawlly plants. The
p/bulbs don't stand up like standard catts do. They sort of lay allover the
sides of the pot. The aclandiae stand up better.

Old 27-11-2006, 01:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Eric Hunt wrote:
Hey everyone,

With my new Orchidarium, I've got the ability to grow some minicatts.
Unfortunately, minicatt in the greenhouse world can be a GIANT in my
Orchidarium. I was wondering if anyone had advice on *really* small
minicatts, under 6" blooming size. I plan on mounting whatever I get, rather
than growing in a pot.

I have good humidity and a temp range of 60-70 to 80 depending upon how warm
it is outside. As we move into winter, my days aren't hitting 76, 78, 80
like they were 2 months ago, but my nights are staying at 60-62.

Thanks!

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

If you're mounting, try straight C.walkeriana, C .nobilior, or
C.araguaiensis (http://www.orchidcourt.com/araguaiensis.jpg), a giant at
about 6-7". I have a lovely walkeriana hybrid, C.walkeriana x C.Summer
stars (http://www.orchidcourt.com/summer.jpg), about 6" high, white
flowers with a ripe pear fragrance. Many walkeriana hybrids, like
Lc.Minipurple (http://www.orchidcourt.com/minipurple.JPG), stay almost
as small. Of course with enough light, rupicolous laelias. And I think
most of the 'Jungle Spots' type minis are tiny as well. If you like
C.luteola, SBOE at one time had C.Luteous Forb
(http://www.orchidcourt.com/luteousforb.jpg), a cross with forbesii,
still quite tiny and some, like mine, are rather green. My L.rubescens
(http://www.orchidcourt.com/rubescens.jpg)stays under 5-6" tall, but the
spike can get to 12-14". My C.intermedia amethystina 'Aranbeem
(http://www.orchidcourt.com/aranbeem.jpg)is about 7-8" tall max. And if,
just for fun, you'd like to slip in a standard catt, my C.Marjorie
Hausermann 'York' (http://www.orchidcourt.com/marjoriehauserman.jpg)tops
out at 8-9". I have C.loddigesii coerulea at 7" tall, and I believe my
C.dolosa runs about 6-7" as well. I have a lovely, tiny Lc.Haw Yuan
Angel (http://www.orchidcourt.com/hawyuanangel.jpg)in bloom now which
tops out around 4", with a 3" flower.

Of course, you could just fill it with paphs and be done with it!
Old 27-11-2006, 01:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Tennis,

Awesome set of recommendations! My favorite is C. araguaiensis, but C.
Luteous Forb was quite nice, too.

Thanks, I'll be saving these!

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

. ..

Old 27-11-2006, 03:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Have you asked Alan about C. luteola? I thought he had some.
-danny

Old 27-11-2006, 02:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Rob Rob is offline

I think I paid 15 dollars for my specimen S. cernua... They were common
as dirt around here for a while. Drop me a line if you are interested
in C. luteola, I think I have several.

Some nice hybrids that I like are Sc. Crystelle Smith and Slc. Barefoot
Mailman. And Tiny Titan. And... There are lots, actually.

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1

Old 27-11-2006, 04:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default ATTN Rob: Your mail server is being snippy ( Good minicatts?)

Rob,

Trying to send you email and your mail server is being snippy:

:
The user does not accept email in non-Western (non-Latin) character sets.

Here is the character set it encoded with:

You might want to check with your mail ISP - a lot of your mail could be
getting rejected in this manner. I'm using Outlook 2002.

Drop me an email - - I'm interested in some of your stuff!

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

Old 27-11-2006, 06:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Rob Rob is offline

Eric Hunt wrote:
Rob,

Trying to send you email and your mail server is being snippy:

I'll look into it. Not that I know how I would fix it... Anybody else
having a problem getting mail to me?

Old 27-11-2006, 07:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 13:44:00 -0500 in Rob wrote:
Eric Hunt wrote:
Rob,

Trying to send you email and your mail server is being snippy:

I'll look into it. Not that I know how I would fix it... Anybody else
having a problem getting mail to me?

Complain at your hosting provider to not "trap spam" this way or
to include valid windows code pages.
The theory being it cuts out the foreign language spams.
The practice being it blocks things you don't want blocked.

--
Chris Dukes
elfick willg: you can't use dell to beat people, it wouldn't stand up