Old 24-09-2003, 04:04 AM
profpam

Default Does anyone not like The Orchid Thief?

I guess I am one of the few, who really enjoyed the book, the Orchid
Thief, and was highly disappointed in the movie -- other than for Chris
Cooper's role -- because the plot was undeveloped and did not follow the
book. Perhaps, I am misinterpreting the movie; however, I would say
that the producer appeared to have a disdain for both orchids and orchid
people.

Incidentally, I also enjoyed Orchid Fever by Eric Hansen.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

Kenni Judd wrote:

I guess all 100 of us post here -- I, too, am an avid reader, but I had to
work hard to finish that one.

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com
"Mick Fournier" wrote in message
Sarah,

You and Doris were 2 of about 100 people in the world who did not like the
book... we are sorry to hear of your pain and suffering.

Mick

"Sarah Huff" wrote in message
. ..
Hi all! Is there anyone out there who, like me, did not like Susan

Orleans'
book The Orchid Thief? I disliked it so much that I didn't bother

finishing
it. I thought Eric Hansen's book Orchid Fever was much better.

Just curious.

Sarah

Old 24-09-2003, 05:42 PM
J. Del Col

"Kye" wrote in message ...
Do you recommend that book to others or is it just a book to read.

Kye.

Who just finished --A Cactus Odyssey--, a very fine book
about botanizing in the wilds of South America.

Sorry for the tardy reply. I tried to post a reply a few days ago,
but it seems to have vanished into cyberland.

I strongly recommend --A Cactus Odyssey-- to anyone interested in the
prickly devils. ( I have about 50 cacti )

Written by three professional botantists, the book presents abundant
information and informed speculation on S. American cacti and their
adaptations to their surprisingly varied habitats--cacti in the snow,
in forests, out in the desert, amid moss next to permanent streams,
etc.

It contains about 200(IIRC) good photos of familiar and little known
cacti and their environments.

It is also generally well written and has a useful bibliography.

J. Del Col
Old 24-09-2003, 09:02 PM
GrlIntrpted

I loved both books, didn't really care for the movie though it was okay as a
tale of it's own!
The only parts about the movie that I thought somewhat decent, were the
dialogues between Nicholas Cage and his twin brother.
Some really good food for thought.

Mariana

---------------------
Kenni Judd wrote:

I guess all 100 of us post here -- I, too, am an avid reader, but I had

work hard to finish that one.

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com
"Mick Fournier" wrote in message
Sarah,

You and Doris were 2 of about 100 people in the world who did not like

the
book... we are sorry to hear of your pain and suffering.

Mick

. ..

Old 03-11-2003, 01:12 AM
Dragoncarer

hermine stover wrote:

On 19 Sep 2003 23:58:31 -0700, (Em) wrote:

This was one bad book. It oozed badness out of every pore.
Should have been printed on softer paper.

well that last statement made me laugh, which is a kind of miracle
since....when i first read this it was a chapter published in The New
Yorker and i realized it was about the villain who had swindled me and
my friends out of MANY HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS, with a carefully planned
and elaborate method, which defied our best efforts to obtain actual
justice. I almost had a COW when i realized about whom i was reading,
in The New Yorker. And when it got made into a movie some years later,
the rafters resounded with my screams.
ALSO it was horribly written. the writer seemed to have a nauseating
schoolgirl crush on the VILLAIN. whom she described as oddly handsome
despite being toothless.

Well, i could rant more, but i will spare you all. The Orchid Thief
was involved in poaching some Florida Panthers, an animal so rare, (if
not . by now, actually extint, that even sightings of it are seldom
reported.

hermine

You know...I'd have to agree that it was really quite poorly written.

All the same, it got me interested in Orchids. Up until that point, I'd
alwasy thought 'who'd buy a plant that's nothing but a few flowers.
Wow...how so very unexciting'. But then a few weeks after finishing the
book, I couldn't stop myself from strolling into the Orchid section in
Gardenworld...and, well, that's that. Here I am, now, a burgeoning orchid
lover.

I think what was most annoying was how she would repeat everything at
least three times...I think it was just to bulk the book up a bit. And
that nasty man...surely no-one can agree with either his ethics or his
justifications...