Old 13-10-2003, 10:03 PM
Diana Kulaga

Default Yes! We Won!

Our show had a downer.. On Sunday afternoon one display had a crystal
orchid stolen. She was no longer watching people around her display and it
walked. I don't know how expensive, but it was worth a chunk of change.

That's horrible! And really, it's not the money, is it? Someone took her
baby. By crystal orchid, I assume you mean a plant that had taken a trophy?

Diana

Old 13-10-2003, 10:03 PM
Diana Kulaga

Bill,

That's great! Mtssa Dark Star has a special meaning for me and my husband;
we both love our copy of it.

Diana

Old 13-10-2003, 10:03 PM
Diana Kulaga

Elinor,

Good job, girl! Sounds like we all had a pretty fun weekend. BTW, when are
you moving down here?

Diana

"ARIET B" wrote in message
Diana- I am SO happy that your display got awarded!
The Central New York Show was this weekend, also- and Guess Who took a

Best in
Section, AOS Show Trophy , and Orchid Digest Show Trophy?
We took our very first Show Trophy this spring, in a neighboring

community,
but to have all this glory at once- 'was WONDERFUL!

The fellow who volunteered to do out disply usually does "miniatures",

but he
had access to a basement full of Victorian furniture, so designed a

"roomette"
with them, and, of course filled every nook and cranny with the orchids

that
our members showed up with, on Friday night.

There were 6 AOS awards given, and the judges were very pleased with the

show.
It is NOT a large show- 3 societies, and 4 vendors, and we do a table for
photos, and an educational display. These judges have NEVER given our own
displays any high marks- so we were extra surprised, and pleased.
Elinor

Old 13-10-2003, 10:43 PM
Susan Erickson

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 20:53:05 GMT, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote:

Our show had a downer.. On Sunday afternoon one display had a crystal

orchid stolen. She was no longer watching people around her display and it
walked. I don't know how expensive, but it was worth a chunk of change.

That's horrible! And really, it's not the money, is it? Someone took her
baby. By crystal orchid, I assume you mean a plant that had taken a trophy?

Diana

No - She had a display of art featuring orchids and one piece was
lead crystal. This one was Swarovski crystal.
http://crystalglassandporcelain.com/...flowers/1.html
She had a piece shaped like a cheese dome with an orchid carved
on the glass plate and cups and saucers, Christmas ornaments,
window sun catchers. Most were carved glass or painted glass or
porcelain. I have no idea if this was a $20 or a $250 piece.
Either way you feel violated.

This is why J&L travel with an enclosed display case. Their
little jewels are living and need moisture as well as security.
But the security is the high point.

SuE
Old 14-10-2003, 02:02 AM
ARIET B

In article , "Diana Kulaga"
writes:

Elinor,
Good job, girl! Sounds like we all had a pretty fun weekend. BTW, when are

you moving down here?

November 5. Pretty Quick, now. And Central New York (and esp. the O.S.) will
be a very fond memory. But we are not 100% sure this will be THE move. We are
only 80 % ready, so this house is not yet on the market. Have one hot prospect.
Also have a "prospect" for our condo in FL.....and so there so many IF s in
our lives that we hardly know which way to turn. So we are turning South on the
appointed day, and will deal with "stuff" as it happens.
At the show I saw a small blooming plant of (L. dayana x Lc MiniPurple)...that
somehow crawled into my head and heart, and she is MINE! I have NO idea how
many of my FL plants have survived the heat and moisture- OK, so it was
constant downpour- I do know it was not wonderful for them. I'll know soon.
Elinor

Old 19-10-2003, 04:22 AM
Kenni Judd

It's a shame that security measures have become necessary at orchid shows,
but it's also a sad truth. And it requires some help from the host society.
The good folks at Delray Beach OS have foiled 2 attempts to remove plants
and/or trophies from my exhibit in the last few years. At that show, the
ex. are upstairs and the vendors are downstairs, so there's no way we can
watch our own ex., and the offendors were caught upstairs, so possibly they
might have been trying to buy the merchandise in question ....

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com
"Susan Erickson" wrote in message
On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 00:51:28 GMT, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote:

Sue,

High fives all around! I've only belonged to this society for a couple

of
years, and it seems that the track record for firsts in displays was

almost
nil. So we are strutting around singing "We Are The Champions", or
something equally juvenile. For every grower who says 'After a while,
awards don't matter', there are 10 honest ones who admit that they DO!

Diana

Sure they do. The Joy hidden or out front just makes you feel
all fuzzy and bubbly inside.