Old 11-10-2003, 11:12 PM
Diana Kulaga

Default Yes! We Won!

All,

This year, I was asked to chair the display committee (well, there really
isn't a committee, just various volunteers), and yesterday we installed a
display at the Fort Pierce show and sale. We took the trophy for best
society display, and tomorrow I'll get an inventory of the number of other
awards, including at least two individual trophies for best in a genera.

We cleaned up! It's especially sweet because we have a rather sad record
regarding display awards, even though we routinely win lots of ribbons for
individual plants.

Yippee! Photos after tomorrow.

Humbly yours,

Diana

Old 12-10-2003, 12:22 AM
GrlIntrpted

Congrats to your orchid society, pretty exciting! Can't wait to see the
photos

Mariana

hlink.net...

Old 12-10-2003, 01:42 AM
Boystrup Pb, ann,...

Congrats from me too.
Cheers
Peter

"GrlIntrpted" schreef in bericht
. net...

Old 12-10-2003, 06:12 AM
Susan Erickson

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 22:02:01 GMT, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote:

We cleaned up! It's especially sweet because we have a rather sad record
regarding display awards, even though we routinely win lots of ribbons for
individual plants.

Yippee! Photos after tomorrow.

Humbly yours,

Diana

Congratulations.
I put in my own display... when you sign up to be a student Judge
it is suggested that the best way to learn to put a display
together is PRACTICE... IE .. do them.

So All I wanted to display was a Phrag Court Jester. Large green
Phrag in S/H. So I figured I needed either a spectacular pot and
prop or some more plants. I found Aerangis biloba, Ascda Fuchs
Gold x Ascda Harvest Moon, and Rumrillara Sugar Baby. So I have 1
white, 2 yellows (one sunny and one orange tinged) and a Green
Phrag. The theme of the show is "Autumns Glowing Orchids"
Would you believe I got nominated for best use of Theme.. I could
not believe it. The judge said the yellows just glowed and there
was not a pumpkin in sight G (Some displays had more props
than Orchids).
John's Phrag (not photographed yet, it better not drop a flower)
got a Blue in class and Best Flower for Paph/Phrag alliance
classes. The Yellow Ascda got a Blue and Best Flower of Class
for Vandaceous alliance, the Aerangis got a Blue and The
Rumrillara was 3rd in the same class.

Not a prop that was not living. Only Spanish moss lightly mixing
with the roots to tie it together on the table. Also helps hold
moisture in the area.

I am with you Diana - FEELS GOOD.
'Nite all.
SuE
SuE

Old 12-10-2003, 09:32 AM
Reka

Good job, Diana and Sue + John! I wish I could see one of your shows!
--
Reka
http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html
wrote:

We cleaned up! It's especially sweet because we have a rather sad record
regarding display awards, even though we routinely win lots of ribbons

for
individual plants.

Yippee! Photos after tomorrow.

Would you believe I got nominated for best use of Theme..
John's Phrag (not photographed yet, it better not drop a flower)
got a Blue in class and Best Flower for Paph/Phrag alliance
classes. The Yellow Ascda got a Blue and Best Flower of Class
for Vandaceous alliance, the Aerangis got a Blue and The
Rumrillara was 3rd in the same class.

---

Old 12-10-2003, 12:02 PM
Kenni Judd

Muchas Congratulations! I thought your ex. was beautiful. We are there
too; no award for the exhibit, but our Blc. Golden Tang 'Juno' once again
took a trophy, this one labelled "Best Small Cattleya, Commercial." The
show was a huge success today, so I can pretty much guarantee all the
vendors will be re-stocking for tomorrow; I can definitely guarantee that I
will. If you haven't yet, you need to come see it if you're within driving
distance.

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com

Old 12-10-2003, 05:32 PM
Susan Erickson

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 10:32:44 +0200, "Reka"
wrote:

Good job, Diana and Sue + John! I wish I could see one of your shows!

Thanks Reka. Glad to see someone knew we were talking about
different shows. John said that because I did not label ours as
Denver, people reading would think it was all one show.

I would love to be able to see Diana's and Kenni's exhibits in
their show. Have any pix guys? What was the Theme of your show
OR was there one?

SuE
Old 13-10-2003, 02:02 AM
Diana Kulaga

Kenni,

Kudos for the trophy! You know, we see each other at all the local shows,
but I'm not sure you know who I am by sight. (Short, reddish, very tall
husband!) It was a great show, and I'm so glad you did well.

Diana

Old 13-10-2003, 02:02 AM
Diana Kulaga

Sue,

High fives all around! I've only belonged to this society for a couple of
years, and it seems that the track record for firsts in displays was almost
nil. So we are strutting around singing "We Are The Champions", or
something equally juvenile. For every grower who says 'After a while,
awards don't matter', there are 10 honest ones who admit that they DO!

Diana

Old 13-10-2003, 02:02 AM
Diana Kulaga

No theme. Have some pictures, but they don't do the show justice. Still,
will post a couple tomorrow. One interesting fact about all this: I didn't
have a single plant in the display, or on the judging table. I was
'attacked' by thrips and probably aphids, and last week did a thorough
chemical spray (Orthene), which I normally try to avoid. This, after mealie
bugs, white flies, and you name it. Wet, wet summer, fungus, etc. Getting
back on track, and the new spikes are looking good.

Another foray in the space alien suit next week to make sure the invaders
are gone, and then I'll have plants to show again.

Diana

Old 13-10-2003, 04:42 AM
ARIET B

Diana- I am SO happy that your display got awarded!
The Central New York Show was this weekend, also- and Guess Who took a Best in
Section, AOS Show Trophy , and Orchid Digest Show Trophy?
We took our very first Show Trophy this spring, in a neighboring community,
but to have all this glory at once- 'was WONDERFUL!

The fellow who volunteered to do out disply usually does "miniatures", but he
had access to a basement full of Victorian furniture, so designed a "roomette"
with them, and, of course filled every nook and cranny with the orchids that
our members showed up with, on Friday night.

There were 6 AOS awards given, and the judges were very pleased with the show.
It is NOT a large show- 3 societies, and 4 vendors, and we do a table for
photos, and an educational display. These judges have NEVER given our own
displays any high marks- so we were extra surprised, and pleased.
Elinor

Old 13-10-2003, 03:42 PM
William Hill

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message . ..
[...]

Congratulations to all of you!!!!!!I was there too & copped Best
Oncidium Alliance Commercial, with the same plant that won the same
trophy last year!!! Miltassia Dark Star 'Orchidworks'----What a plant.
The show was an enormous success (despite the AOS's Best Effort) The
show committee deserves a big hand. Faith Conte & her crew have made
the Fort Pierce O.S. show: ONE OF THE BEST 2 DAY SHOWS IN SOUTH
FLORIDA!!!!!! Bill

Old 13-10-2003, 05:42 PM
Susan Erickson

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 00:51:28 GMT, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote:

Sue,

High fives all around! I've only belonged to this society for a couple of
years, and it seems that the track record for firsts in displays was almost
nil. So we are strutting around singing "We Are The Champions", or
something equally juvenile. For every grower who says 'After a while,
awards don't matter', there are 10 honest ones who admit that they DO!

Diana

Sure they do. The Joy hidden or out front just makes you feel
all fuzzy and bubbly inside.

Our show had a downer.. On Sunday afternoon one display had a
crystal orchid stolen. She was no longer watching people around
her display and it walked. I don't know how expensive, but it
was worth a chunk of change.

SuE
Old 13-10-2003, 06:02 PM
Susan Erickson

On 13 Oct 2003 03:33:05 GMT, ojunk (ARIET B)
wrote:

[...]

Elinor -
Congratulations on all the blues and on what sounds like a very
special display. I have never seen an exhibit sweep the field.
Usually the judges are too stingy and say they have to spread the
joy around. That is really a top honor to get both AOS and ODC
Trophy.

It sounds like you have a nice sized show. Of course it could be
because Denver's is normally 4 vendors, there was a booking error
and we had 5 this year. But the weather made for crowds and they
happily all sold well.

Anyone else have a show this last weekend? We can keep this going
and the fizz up for a few more days. G

SuE