Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 18-11-2003, 10:02 AM
White Monkey

Default When to water these phal's?

I rescued new phal a short while ago. It has huge, oblong leaves and a
massive spray of GORGEOUS white and purple flowers--and clear evidence that
someone's been chopping its roots off to stay in the tiny pot, God knows for
how long. Poor thing has no crown to speak of, just massive leaves and big
flowers coming straight out of the ground. No sign of rot or bugs or disease
or anything. So I repotted this fellow a couple of days ago. He's perking
up: one of those giant, floppy leaves is dramatically less floppy, and all
the small leaves are sticking out straight.

The question is, how long after a plant with [potential] root damage is
repotted does one leave it before watering, to avoid rot? I know it varies
from plant type to plant type. I don't want it to dry out too far while I
wait not to shock it... and this also goes for the other phal I repotted the
day before because I had overwatered it. There was mold on the medium and on
some of the roots, but the roots cleaned off just fine and are green and
white and firm. It's in all new, dry medium now.

Both of these plants are opening new flowers now. I hope that's good, and
not a sign of shock? These are buds that have been getting larger and
becoming colored like the other flowers on the stalks.

Thanks,

Katrina

---