Old 30-08-2007, 08:42 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default floating water lilly

I don't know if this is a problem or not, but I have a now huge water
lilly that pulled itself out of its pot and is now floating and taking
over the top of my pond. Apparently it doesn't need soil. Should I try
and repot it?

Old 31-08-2007, 01:16 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"MattR" wrote in message
ups.com...
I don't know if this is a problem or not, but I have a now huge water
lilly that pulled itself out of its pot and is now floating and taking
over the top of my pond. Apparently it doesn't need soil. Should I try
and repot it?

Well, if you have fish, they'll eat the roots. Plus when winter comes, if it
freezes, it'll die. Repot it, and you wouldn't need to worry about both
concerns.

If it's large enough, cut it in half, and put it in two pots. Also, those
mesh looking planters are best.. actual pots will restrict water and
nutrient flow, and they'll grow slower. Downside is when the roots grow out,
the fish can eat them.

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 31-08-2007, 02:22 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Garee is right about the roots and freezing. We had some of our
escape. They have anchored on the bottom by our milk crates. They
are spreading like MAD. I suspect yours would too if they got a
hold. Our bottom is cement, so we don't worry about the roots going
thru.

Jim

Old 31-08-2007, 02:06 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"MattR" wrote in message
ups.com...
I don't know if this is a problem or not, but I have a now huge water
lilly that pulled itself out of its pot and is now floating and taking
over the top of my pond. Apparently it doesn't need soil. Should I try
and repot it?

=========================
Some koi will root plants right out of their pots. Use that product called
eggrock instead of gravel when you pot it up. It does discourage them from
digging and rooting in the pots.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 31-08-2007, 02:39 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

this spring when I went to fert my lily I found the fish had sucked
all the mud and gravel out of the pot and all the roots were exposed.
only the big heavy flat river stones were left. well, made it easy to
unpot the lily and divide it at least. Ingrid

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 22:18:34 CST, "Pat"
wrote:

Your fish probably dug it out.

oups.com...

Old 31-08-2007, 05:20 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 13:42:30 CST, MattR wrote:

I don't know if this is a problem or not, but I have a now huge water
lilly that pulled itself out of its pot and is now floating and taking
over the top of my pond. Apparently it doesn't need soil. Should I try
and repot it?

I have better luck with potted and well fertilized lilies. I have a
couple weighted down with bricks or just dangling in the water in the
goldfish pond that have an occasional bloom. Nothing like the
performance of the ones in a pot of dirt with fertilizer.

Koi are a bit rougher on non potted lilies. I use larger, (baseball
size) stones in the lily pots in the koi pond to keep the fish from
digging out the soil and plants. Ever notice how the koi can swim to
what looks like a couple inches under a bit of food on the water and
make it disappear? They are like a vacuum hose in a flower pot too.
They can suck up dirt with amazing force and spit it all over the
bottom of the pond.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Old 01-09-2007, 04:25 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Pat wrote:

Your fish probably dug it out.

They probably didn't. "Huge" lilies (in the realm of 50+ sq.ft. of pads),
are so bouyant that they can lift a milk crate full of rocks off the bottom
of your pond.
--
derek

Old 01-09-2007, 04:26 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

MattR wrote:

I don't know if this is a problem or not, but I have a now huge water
lilly that pulled itself out of its pot and is now floating and taking
over the top of my pond. Apparently it doesn't need soil. Should I try
and repot it?

Tie a rock to it, and leave it be!

I've had great success with this method.

(actually, I'd divide it first)
--
derek

Old 01-09-2007, 07:08 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
MattR wrote:

I don't know if this is a problem or not, but I have a now huge water
lilly that pulled itself out of its pot and is now floating and taking
over the top of my pond. Apparently it doesn't need soil. Should I try
and repot it?

Tie a rock to it, and leave it be!

I've had great success with this method.

(actually, I'd divide it first)

Hmmm much less work then repotting, and lower cost as well.

Might just start doing that.

BTW, can pickerel be relocated deeper? the instructions I saw said 12-18"
deep, but my pickerel are about 2 feet or more above the water level, and
look like they could be relocated to at least a foot deeper. The wind
catches them now, knocking them over, and the deeper water will reduce that
issue, if not eliminate it.

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 01-09-2007, 08:59 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 1 Sep 2007 12:08:40 CST, "Gareee©"
wrote:

BTW, can pickerel be relocated deeper? the instructions I saw said 12-18"
deep, but my pickerel are about 2 feet or more above the water level, and
look like they could be relocated to at least a foot deeper. The wind
catches them now, knocking them over, and the deeper water will reduce that
issue, if not eliminate it.

I bet it can. I know I start my cannas on top of other baskets and once
they get tall enough, remove the basket below them for the same reason as
you mentioned above. Wind. s ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 01-09-2007, 10:07 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

BTW, can pickerel be relocated deeper? the instructions I saw said 12-18"
deep, but my pickerel are about 2 feet or more above the water level, and
look like they could be relocated to at least a foot deeper. The wind
catches them now, knocking them over, and the deeper water will reduce
that
issue, if not eliminate it.

I bet it can. I know I start my cannas on top of other baskets and once
they get tall enough, remove the basket below them for the same reason as
you mentioned above. Wind. s ~ jan

Cool. I'm tired of fishing them out, and loosing some of their valuable pond
plant growth. I abandoned working on a new filter this year.. 3 failed
attempts was just too much for one year, so I'm just running the uv and an
aerator now, for good measure. I'll do a water swap every few weeks, and
dick around with it again next year.

Since we had the drought and high temps, being outdoors was miserable most
of the time anyway, with all our plants suffering anyway. Never thought
anything could slow down hosta growth! LOL!

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 03-09-2007, 03:56 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

MattR wrote:

I don't know if this is a problem or not, but I have a now huge water
lilly that pulled itself out of its pot and is now floating and taking
over the top of my pond. Apparently it doesn't need soil. Should I try
and repot it?

Tie a rock to it, and leave it be!

I've had great success with this method.

(actually, I'd divide it first)

Hmmm much less work then repotting, and lower cost as well.

Might just start doing that.

BTW, can pickerel be relocated deeper? the instructions I saw said 12-18"
deep, but my pickerel are about 2 feet or more above the water level, and
look like they could be relocated to at least a foot deeper. The wind
catches them now, knocking them over, and the deeper water will reduce that
issue, if not eliminate it.

Some of my pickerel is rooted 3 feet down. Does just fine. (It got
that way because I set it in the deep end for last winter and never
moved it back, since it seemd to be OK where it was.
Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin

Rate This Thread: