Old 11-11-2007, 09:23 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

Default winter ready

Finally found the air pump!
In the last place we looked, of course.
So the air pump is attached to the
electrical box post, covered with a
bucket and protected and ready to go
when the first sign of ice hits the pond.
Next year I'm writing a note ahead in
my calendar about the good hiding place
I've found for the air pump....

We're about 70% deleafed around here,
many of them are laying in the pond water.
Looks kindof pretty and will all come out
next spring. We have a huge growth of
hornwort on top water. Wondering how
they will do in the ice. (Low stocking
allows us to be fairly lazy about things like
leaves and such.)

k :-)

Old 12-11-2007, 03:03 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

We just had our first little frost. I will begin to allow for the
dying of the plants. We don't have to worry about ice. It never
covers the pond.

Jim

Old 12-11-2007, 08:15 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
ups.com...
We just had our first little frost. I will begin to allow for the
dying of the plants. We don't have to worry about ice. It never
covers the pond.

=======================
We're having an abnormally warm fall here. The pumps are still running
although their appetites are falling off.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 13-11-2007, 12:05 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
"Reel McKoi" wrote:

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
ups.com...
We just had our first little frost. I will begin to allow for the
dying of the plants. We don't have to worry about ice. It never
covers the pond.

=======================
We're having an abnormally warm fall here. The pumps are still running
although their appetites are falling off.

Today was high 70s low 80s near beach. Pond is thriving and hyacinth and
others are still growing like gangbusters.
I had a heron (first one I've ever seen in 5 years here) show up a week
ago and drastically reduce my fish population. Have a plastic net over
it now. He came back next morning, but was apparently unhappy with the
net and left right away.
I know my pond is on his radar, so I'll be vigilant.

Old 13-11-2007, 01:05 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,

=======
Today was high 70s low 80s near beach. Pond is thriving and hyacinth and
others are still growing like gangbusters.

We had one light frost so far. I already brought some of the water lettuce
and hyacinth into the greenhouse for the winter. It didn't do as well as it
usually does this past summer. It could have been because of the unusually
hot summer. Days of sunny100F temperatures.

I had a heron (first one I've ever seen in 5 years here) show up a week
ago and drastically reduce my fish population. Have a plastic net over
it now. He came back next morning, but was apparently unhappy with the
net and left right away.
I know my pond is on his radar, so I'll be vigilant.

The net should discourage him/her. I still see herons around the lake when I
go to town, but none around the house and ponds here for a long time.

--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 13-11-2007, 02:28 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
"Reel McKoi" wrote:

"Kurt" wrote in message
In article ,
[...]

Yes, I think they go for the easier pickins'
He/She will have to work a little to get the next meal out of my yard.
One of my friends with a 30,000 gal pond in AZ uses tomato netting.
Built a wooden frame over one area to drape it on. Otherwise, has
underwater caves of cement blocks for fish to hide in.

Old 13-11-2007, 08:11 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Kurt" wrote in message

Yes, I think they go for the easier pickins'
He/She will have to work a little to get the next meal out of my yard.
One of my friends with a 30,000 gal pond in AZ uses tomato netting.
Built a wooden frame over one area to drape it on. Otherwise, has
underwater caves of cement blocks for fish to hide in.

==========================
I tried the underwater cave thing and it didn't work. Maybe the Herons
didn't get them in the caves but the water snakes and large bullfrogs had no
trouble getting them. :*(
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 13-11-2007, 06:39 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 15:23:32 CST, k wrote:

Next year I'm writing a note ahead in
my calendar about the good hiding place
I've found for the air pump....

Good one!

We're about 70% deleafed around here,
many of them are laying in the pond water.
Looks kindof pretty and will all come out
next spring. We have a huge growth of
hornwort on top water. Wondering how
they will do in the ice. (Low stocking
allows us to be fairly lazy about things like
leaves and such.)

I'm a bit anxious for the lantana to drop it's leaves this year, but
the single day of 32F low temperature has only burned off some of the
leaves on the top side of the bushes. I still have verbena and
lantana blooms and saw several gulf fritillary butterflies around the
flower beds yesterday and fear it will be a long leaf dropping season
for me this year. I don't have to net, but I scoop a few leaves with
a dip net sometimes after a windy day.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Old 15-11-2007, 11:14 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

=======================

I had a heron (first one I've ever seen in 5 years here) show up a week
ago and drastically reduce my fish population. Have a plastic net over
it now. He came back next morning, but was apparently unhappy with the
net and left right away.

Half Round Spanish roof tiles also make great caves for the fish to
hide under
(not the "S" style tiles) especially if they are out of racoons
reach...

Old 16-11-2007, 12:55 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article
,
sb_mag wrote:

=======================

I had a heron (first one I've ever seen in 5 years here) show up a week
ago and drastically reduce my fish population. Have a plastic net over
it now. He came back next morning, but was apparently unhappy with the
net and left right away.

Half Round Spanish roof tiles also make great caves for the fish to
hide under
(not the "S" style tiles) especially if they are out of racoons
reach...

That's a great idea - good for shallow areas, too.

Old 17-11-2007, 12:15 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Kurt" wrote in message
In article
,
sb_mag wrote:

=======================
I had a heron (first one I've ever seen in 5 years here) show up a week
ago and drastically reduce my fish population. Have a plastic net over
it now. He came back next morning, but was apparently unhappy with the
net and left right away.

Half Round Spanish roof tiles also make great caves for the fish to
hide under
(not the "S" style tiles) especially if they are out of racoons
reach...

That's a great idea - good for shallow areas, too.

=============================
But wont work if you have bullfrogs and snakes.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 17-11-2007, 04:29 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
"Reel McKoi" wrote:

"Kurt" wrote in message
In article
,
sb_mag wrote:

=======================
I had a heron (first one I've ever seen in 5 years here) show up a week
ago and drastically reduce my fish population. Have a plastic net over
it now. He came back next morning, but was apparently unhappy with the
net and left right away.

Half Round Spanish roof tiles also make great caves for the fish to
hide under
(not the "S" style tiles) especially if they are out of racoons
reach...

That's a great idea - good for shallow areas, too.

But wont work if you have bullfrogs and snakes.

None of them around here.

Rate This Thread: