Old 15-12-2007, 01:41 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default So warm the fish are awake again....

"Kurt" wrote in message

Good lord, sounds like a veritable buffet at your house!

=========================
It is. There are three in ground ponds out front. Two are netted. The
smallest one, unnetted, he cleaned out one morning. We're sure it was the GB
and not the raccoon. Behind the house are three netted 720g tanks of koi
and GF and several 150g pools of pondplants. Next to the house are 3 barrel
ponds. He cleaned them out also. It's a fish eaters paradise here.

Making it worse is I'm only a mile as the crow flies from a huge lake full
of water birds. Cranes, herons, kingfishers, etc.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 16-12-2007, 07:55 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Here in MS we have had temps in the upper 70s. My granddaughter (18
mo) loved to feed the fish. She eats about 1/2 of the pellets she
takes out for them. She has been feeding them for several days now.
They are eating well. The new front, however, willput them back to
winter eating...55 degrees and sinking. Sort of nice to have a winter
wakening.

Jim

Old 17-12-2007, 02:56 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message

The new front, however, willput them back to
winter eating...55 degrees and sinking. Sort of nice to have a winter
wakening.

He had 20 degrees last night, and the pond is covered with ice.. except the
bubbler section of course.

Very weird winter!

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 17-12-2007, 04:29 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

OK, things have changed!

It went to 27 degrees last night here in Jackson. Frost is still on
the yard 9AM. So much for Indian summer.

Jim

Old 17-12-2007, 06:44 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Phyllis and Jim wrote:

OK, things have changed!

It went to 27 degrees last night here in Jackson. Frost is still on
the yard 9AM. So much for Indian summer.

-10C (or thereabouts) on Saturday. +12C last night. Back to freezing
today. We had 15cm of snow, or more, between 2 & 10pm yesterday, and it's
gone now. Typical for Nova Scotia!
--
derek

Old 17-12-2007, 06:44 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

It went to 27 degrees last night here in Jackson. Frost is still on
the yard 9AM. So much for Indian summer.

Indian Summer?!!! - a distant memory (even the mention of frost sounds warm)
as I look out at the 4 foot snow banks (and just came in from blowing out
the driveway) & just to stay on-topic, my bubbler is keeping ~ a 16" hole
open in the pond that is under 2' of snow ( no heater or cover)
Gale :~)

Old 18-12-2007, 01:12 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 12:44:37 CST, "G Pearce"
wrote:

It went to 27 degrees last night here in Jackson. Frost is still on
the yard 9AM. So much for Indian summer.

Indian Summer?!!! - a distant memory (even the mention of frost sounds warm)
as I look out at the 4 foot snow banks (and just came in from blowing out
the driveway) & just to stay on-topic, my bubbler is keeping ~ a 16" hole
open in the pond that is under 2' of snow ( no heater or cover)

In the words of Jimmy Buffet:

"...so goddamn cold,
it's gonna snow until June,
yeah, freezing up in Buffalo,
people stuck in their cars,
and I'm lying here,
'neath the sun and the stars."

Well, it isn't quite that warm, but it isn't freezing here either.
Yesterday it was up in the 70s, and while it got down to 34 last night
there is a warming trend on the way, well, so say the weatherguessers.
By the way, according to my thermometers, as in previous years we did
not even get into triple digits here in northern Florida last summer,
huge swaths of the country reported far higher temperatures than we
did. Like I say, down here we put ice in our drinks, we don't shovel
it off the driveway.
--
Galen Hekhuis
Indecision may or may not be my problem...

Old 18-12-2007, 05:12 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Milwaukee:
all the fresh water a huge lake can hold, it even gushes out of the ground
never been and never will have a hurricane
no tornados in town, but even then, we have basements
we are one state away from an earthquake fault
we have spring and fall.. and.. 4 different sets of clothes
we are the northern New Orleans.

Ingrid

Old 20-12-2007, 02:44 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I grew up in Syracuse. Phyllis grew up in Denver. We both loved the
snow as kids. It is less attractive at 60+. Enjoy your cold?

Jim

Old 20-12-2007, 02:44 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Gale,

I have forgotten where you live.

Jim

Old 20-12-2007, 03:22 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Gale,

I have forgotten where you live.
Jim

S W Ont - the so-called banana belt locally 22 F right now, but we're
supposed to get some rain and up to + 40 F for a couple of days - a heat
wave!!
I used to pray for cold and snow when we had snowmobiles, but I agree with
you - the older you get the more I hate the cold - now my only "toy" for
this time of year is a snowblower, which I don't really use all that often,
but sure needed it last weekend
Gale :~)

Old 20-12-2007, 05:44 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

a snow blower came with the duplex we bought the next block over. it sat for a
couple years and this winter I convinced the youngun next door to take it on a long
term "loan" so he could use it down their long walk (which we dont have) and across
the 25' of walk in front of our house. so far, this is working out very well indeed.
he is an engineer of the type can fix machines and I know he will keep it working up
to snuff. Ingrid

Old 20-12-2007, 05:45 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

If I could set it up I would like to teach summer and fall semester here in
Milwaukee. Up til New Years Eve the snow and Christmas lights and wearing my fur
coats is wonderful. After NYE I am waaaaaaay less enamored of Milwaukee winter. THEN
I would like to pack up the pets and move to "winter" quarters and teach spring
semester in NO. My problem is DH who is 8 years younger which puts this kind of
retirement planning off for at least another 13 years... shoot.
Ingrid

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 20:44:42 CST, Phyllis and Jim wrote:
I grew up in Syracuse. Phyllis grew up in Denver. We both loved the
snow as kids. It is less attractive at 60+. Enjoy your cold?

Jim

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Max: Awake n Hungry K Barrett Orchids 2 15-06-2003 07:20 PM
Warm Tolerant Cymbidiums [email protected] Orchids 6 27-03-2003 05:44 AM
When is it going to warm up? Bonnie Espenshade Ponds 3 12-02-2003 03:55 PM
When is it going to warm up Nedra Ponds 0 11-02-2003 05:55 PM