Old 14-04-2008, 06:47 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default skimmer

Greetings all!
I am ready to "redo" my pond and want to install a skimmer outside the pond.
So far, all I can find are skimmer boxes that want some sort of external
pump. Is there a box out there that can be connected directly into the
lines going into the bio-mech filters? I have seen skimmers in the pictures
of people building ponds and some of them show lines running from the
skimmer to the filters instead of a submersible pump and all.
If you have and DIY ideas, I am open to suggestions!
Thanks for your help.
W. Dale
http://home.pcisys.net/~muaddib

Old 15-04-2008, 12:47 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I believe that all of the skimmers are made to use submersible pumps, as
they come from the manufacturer. Most, if not all, can have a hole cut
through either the side or bottom for a drain to go to external filtration
or pumps. I have Pondsweep 700's and have my drain holes cut in the back.
I have seen people with Savio skimmers and the best place for them appears
to be drilled is the bottom.

--
RichToyBox
Zone 7A/B Virginia

Old 16-04-2008, 03:09 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

RichToyBoxhttp://www.geocities.com/richtoybox/pondintro.html
Zone 7A/B Virginia"W Dale" wrote in message

Greetings all!
I am ready to "redo" my pond and want to install a skimmer outside the
pond. So far, all I can find are skimmer boxes that want some sort of
external pump. Is there a box out there that can be connected directly
into the lines going into the bio-mech filters? I have seen skimmers in
the pictures of people building ponds and some of them show lines running
from the skimmer to the filters instead of a submersible pump and all.
If you have and DIY ideas, I am open to suggestions!
Thanks for your help.
W. Dale
http://home.pcisys.net/~muaddib

Thanks RTB ... It sounds like one can plumb the skimmer box and not
use an internal pump.
Has anyone used the Atlantic Skimmer? And plumbed it directly into
your filter line going to you bio-mech filter(s)?

Old 17-04-2008, 08:43 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 13:47:38 EDT, "W Dale"
wrote:

W. Dale
http://home.pcisys.net/~muaddib

Looking good!
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Old 20-04-2008, 11:35 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

W. Dale
http://home.pcisys.net/~muaddib

Looking good!
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Thanks, Hal!
I will start removing sod for the expansion of the pond on 4/21/08. I
have read that if I am using bottom drains, given the size of my new
pond, I should use three (3) bottom drains. Any thoughts on that
anyone? I have ordered 2 - 3" bottom drains and I am planning to use
only one surface skimmer (with at 9" weir plumbed into the bottom
drain line). Anyone have any experience with needing more than one
skimmer on your pond? It will be an irregular shaped pond of 17' X
20'. Seems to me one skimmer should do the trick.
Thanks!
W. Dale

Old 21-04-2008, 04:02 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

W. Dale
http://home.pcisys.net/~muaddib

Looking good!
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Thanks, Hal!
I will start removing sod for the expansion of the pond on 4/21/08. I
have read that if I am using bottom drains, given the size of my new
pond, I should use three (3) bottom drains. Any thoughts on that
anyone? I have ordered 2 - 3" bottom drains and I am planning to use
only one surface skimmer (with at 9" weir plumbed into the bottom
drain line). Anyone have any experience with needing more than one
skimmer on your pond? It will be an irregular shaped pond of 17' X
20'. Seems to me one skimmer should do the trick.
Thanks!
W. Dale

One skimmer should work, provided you don't have any stagnant areas. More is
always better, I guess, but where did you read you needed 3 bottom drains?

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Old 21-04-2008, 04:26 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Hi W,

I have two skimmers in my pond, but a lot of the time one will suffice
and sometimes I only run one of them. My pond has a 25'x20' oval where
the skimmers are and the skimmers are opposite each other (25' between
them). Because of the distance, if it's very windy in one direction,
the debris will blow to one end or the other and only one of the
skimmers will get most of it. In that case, it's nice to have both
skimmers available because otherwise the debris wouldn't get sucked up
until the wind changed. It's really a location-/design- specific thing
as to whether you need one or two.

My pond is exposed (no barriers etc., only a berm to block the wind).
If yours will have some wind blockage or if the wind direction is very
predictable, you can probably get away with just one skimmer.

I have one 3" bottom drain in the low spot of my pond which goes to a
bio-mech filter. I don't know why you'd need more than one drain in a
pond that size. Do each of the drains get plumbed to the same filter?

Dave

Rate This Thread: