Old 10-01-2006, 03:52 PM posted to rec.ponds
mark Bannister

Default QT tank delima new sick fish

Hey all,
I have a few fish in my QT tank ever since the weather turned cold. QT
is just a 10 gallon aquarium. All the fish but one are ready to go back
to the pond. I have a another fish in the pond with a white fungus who
needs treatment: we've been having some wild temperature swings lately.

Can I move the well fish into the pond (there is a significant
temperature difference)? Pond temp is around 55 right now; QT tank is
around 65.

Should I put the fish with fungus in with the almost well fish? The
almost well one was the one who was scaled alive in the skimmer. Almost
all his scales have come back but he as completely different markings
now. He is a much prettier fish with black and orange a white. Before
he was mainly orange and a little white. BTW: I only lost one fish to
the great skimmer disaster of 2005.

Mark B.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:41 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-lo

"mark Bannister" wrote in message
Hey all,
I have a few fish in my QT tank ever since the weather turned cold. QT is
just a 10 gallon aquarium. All the fish but one are ready to go back to
the pond. I have a another fish in the pond with a white fungus who needs
treatment: we've been having some wild temperature swings lately.

Fungus? How is the water QUALITY in your pond? Healthy fish in good water
shouldn't be getting funguses or suffer bacterial infections.

Can I move the well fish into the pond (there is a significant temperature
difference)? Pond temp is around 55 right now; QT tank is around 65.

Float them in a plastic bag for awhile. That's a large difference. How
about a difference in PH between the tank and the pond?

Should I put the fish with fungus in with the almost well fish? The
almost well one was the one who was scaled alive in the skimmer. Almost
all his scales have come back but he as completely different markings now.
He is a much prettier fish with black and orange a white. Before he was
mainly orange and a little white. BTW: I only lost one fish to the great
skimmer disaster of 2005.

Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952
My Pond & Aquarium Pages:
NEW PAGE: Aquariums:
http://bellsouthpwp.net/s/h/shastada...ium-Page4.html
http://bellsouthpwp.net/s/h/shastadaisy
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 10-01-2006, 05:12 PM posted to rec.ponds
mark Bannister

Koi-lo wrote:
snip

Fungus? How is the water QUALITY in your pond? Healthy fish in good
water shouldn't be getting funguses or suffer bacterial infections.

Hmmm, water quality has been testing just fine. I haven't checked it
lately. I've been told that water temperature swings are stressful on
the fish and I assumed that was the issue. The fish only got sick when
the temperature swings up or down. When it's 20 degrees F for a week
and then 70's the following week the fish see a pretty wide temp swing.

snip

Float them in a plastic bag for awhile. That's a large difference. How
about a difference in PH between the tank and the pond?

I haven't checked the PH. What would be significant?
Old 10-01-2006, 05:36 PM posted to rec.ponds

10o drop is too much in 1 day. 10 gallons is too small for QT, how about a 40 gallon
rubbermaid tub? the fish with white fungus might well be columnaris ... especially
if this is on the caudal puduncle. you need to salt dip this fish, then treat with
potassium permanganate. I wouldnt put the well fish in with the sick one in a 10
gallon. Ingrid

mark Bannister wrote:

[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other
compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for
any of the recommendations I make.
AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE
Old 10-01-2006, 08:17 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-lo

"mark Bannister" wrote in message
Koi-lo wrote:
snip

Fungus? How is the water QUALITY in your pond? Healthy fish in good
water shouldn't be getting funguses or suffer bacterial infections.

Hmmm, water quality has been testing just fine. I haven't checked it
lately.

You may want to check the PH and Nitrate levels for a start. Is there a lot
of rotting leaves and other debris on the pond bottom?

I've been told that water temperature swings are stressful on
the fish and I assumed that was the issue.

Not true unless you drop a fish in water of a much different temperature.
All my smaller pools have temperature swings, just like in nature. The
fish adapt to this natural cycle.

The fish only got sick when
the temperature swings up or down. When it's 20 degrees F for a week and
then 70's the following week the fish see a pretty wide temp swing.

It hasn't affected any of my fish (goldfish, rosy reds and koi).

Float them in a plastic bag for awhile. That's a large difference. How
about a difference in PH between the tank and the pond?

I haven't checked the PH. What would be significant?

I would consider anything less than 6.8 or over 8.8 significant. A nitrate
reading over 40 would also be significant and warrant a partial water
change. Others may have a different opinion.

Old 10-01-2006, 08:27 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-lo

"mark Bannister" wrote in message
10o drop is too much in 1 day. 10 gallons is too small for QT, how about
a 40 gallon
rubbermaid tub? the fish with white fungus might well be columnaris ...
especially
if this is on the caudal puduncle. you need to salt dip this fish, then
treat with
potassium permanganate.

snip

Thanks, yes it is in the caudal peduncle area (course I had to look that
up first
http://www.amonline.net.au/fishes/what/fishfig.htm). 4-5 small
white patches on one side, almost scale size.

Mark B.

=============================
Check a few websites such as www.koivet.com and others before using PP as
this is a product you need to take great care using. My smaller pools will
drop as much as 15F overnight (in spring and fall) without causing a problem
to my koi, rosy reds and goldfish. The only losses I've ever had to such a
drop were tiny fry less than a week old. We had a spring freeze and they
were in a 40 gallon tub. :-(

My fish are healthy and the water quality is good. That may make the
difference. Also, we have no control over nature and natural ponds have the
same temp drops.

Old 10-01-2006, 08:40 PM posted to rec.ponds
mark Bannister

Koi-lo wrote:
snip

I would consider anything less than 6.8 or over 8.8 significant. A
nitrate reading over 40 would also be significant and warrant a partial
water change. Others may have a different opinion.

Do most people do water changes in Winter? I've been doing them but
less often.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:11 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-lo

"mark Bannister" wrote in message
Koi-lo wrote:
snip

I would consider anything less than 6.8 or over 8.8 significant. A
nitrate reading over 40 would also be significant and warrant a partial
water change. Others may have a different opinion.

Do most people do water changes in Winter? I've been doing them but less
often.

============================
No they don't, not in winter unless there's a problem of some kind that
can't wait. Example = excessively high nitrate readings (or even ammonia in
some cases) or toxic gases building up under excessive amounts of rotting
vegetation on the pond bottom. Sometimes something fell in, died and is
decomposing fouling the water. I just water-changed a tub with a water
lily that had turned "dark" and smelled foul. Somehow an excessive amount
of leaves blew into this tub. There was also the stinky remains of a
frog.... :þ I'm in zone 6 in the USA.

Old 11-01-2006, 12:15 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ jan jjspond

Do most people do water changes in Winter? I've been doing them but
less often.

Same. Depends on the weather. Always good to check your WQ before doing a
water change, to make sure there is no ammonia showing. If the fresh water
going in has a higher pH than the pond, it would make the ammonia more
toxic.

As far moving the fish, I agree with Ingrid.

I also agree with checking the pH before moving them and try to slowly
change the QT (within 0.5 pH) before moving them. ~ jan

----------------
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 11-01-2006, 05:46 PM posted to rec.ponds
mark Bannister

Koi-lo wrote:

snip

You may want to check the PH and Nitrate levels for a start. Is there a
lot of rotting leaves and other debris on the pond bottom?

snip

OK, did what water tests I could. My test strips for Nitrate must have
been contaminated so I couldn't test that yesterday. PH is higher than
normal, a little above 7.8. Typically it runs 7.4 or something like
that and had been very stable all summer. No ammonia. Hardness and
Alkalinity are both up a little as well (I forget the exact numbers but
they are in normal range.). Water temp is 56 F. 700+ US gallons.
The veggie filter is a little messy, but nothing horrible I don't think.

PH in QT tank is WAY off! Very low. I'm trying to rectify that right
now. Ammonia was a little high. I had been doing a better job of
keeping it stable but have been sick lately.

I've unplugged the heater in the QT tank and will allow the water temps
to get closer. It's warm here again (North Alabama) so it may take a
while. Either I couldn't see before or the sick fish has moved his
fungus. It's an oranda of some sort. Smaller fungus patches now around
his head only.

Funny thing about the fish that lost his scales. Even his fins have
changed color. The dorsal, caudal and anal fins are all black now.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:25 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-lo

"mark Bannister" wrote in message
snip

===============
OK, did what water tests I could. My test strips for Nitrate must have
been contaminated so I couldn't test that yesterday. PH is higher than
normal, a little above 7.8. Typically it runs 7.4 or something like that
and had been very stable all summer.

It's still within safe limits.

No ammonia. Hardness and
Alkalinity are both up a little as well (I forget the exact numbers but
they are in normal range.). Water temp is 56 F. 700+ US gallons.
The veggie filter is a little messy, but nothing horrible I don't think.

You may want to take a closer look to see if a lot of plant matter is
rotting or if something fell in, died and may be decomposing. Is there a
lot of pond "gunk" in the bottom of this veggie filter?

PH in QT tank is WAY off! Very low. I'm trying to rectify that right
now. Ammonia was a little high. I had been doing a better job of keeping
it stable but have been sick lately.

Very low can tie up the ammonia - but also if really low, harm or kill the
fish. You can safely and slowly raise the PH using chicken-grit, crushed
shell or dolomite fishtank gravel. What is the PH of the water from your
tap?

I've unplugged the heater in the QT tank and will allow the water temps to
get closer. It's warm here again (North Alabama) so it may take a while.
Either I couldn't see before or the sick fish has moved his fungus. It's
an oranda of some sort. Smaller fungus patches now around his head only.

Funny thing about the fish that lost his scales. Even his fins have
changed color. The dorsal, caudal and anal fins are all black now.

They should return to their natural color in time. They don't usually
remain black.