Old 02-04-2003, 03:08 AM
Russ and Cathy

Default rec pond ponders

I have been a lurker in this newsgroup for a couple of years and i guess i
came out now because of my mad desire to have Spring come to STAY! This
group is fantastic and has endless knowledge of ponds ( and other things as
well) If i cant have my own Spring weather, I like hearing and dreaming of
others Springlike weather. I live in Western New York and presently our
weather is not very favorable. So i like reading about how others are able
to get outdoors and get their hands dirty so to speak. So please be very
descriptive to satisfy my outdoor appetite lol.
Thanks everyone.
Cathy

Old 02-04-2003, 03:08 PM
BenignVanilla

"Russ and Cathy" wrote in message
I have been a lurker in this newsgroup for a couple of years and i guess i
came out now because of my mad desire to have Spring come to STAY! This
group is fantastic and has endless knowledge of ponds ( and other things

as
well) If i cant have my own Spring weather, I like hearing and dreaming of
others Springlike weather. I live in Western New York and presently our
weather is not very favorable. So i like reading about how others are able
to get outdoors and get their hands dirty so to speak. So please be very
descriptive to satisfy my outdoor appetite lol.

Dear PondHouse Letters,

I never thought this would happen to me...

Old 04-04-2003, 10:44 PM
~ jan

weather is not very favorable. So i like reading about how others are able
to get outdoors and get their hands dirty so to speak. So please be very
descriptive to satisfy my outdoor appetite lol.

Well we've had a couple really warm days and then it dropped back to the
50s, last night it was at or near freezing, though no frost reported
locally. I've yet to jump the gun and take the screens off the koi ponds or
start their filter, water is clear and I have slow winter filtration going
on. Today though, after hearing two treefrogs during the night, I checked
the lily pond and found 3 bunchs of frog spawn in the anacharis. ) ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 04-04-2003, 11:08 PM
K30a

Last year I battled with parrot's feather in the Frog Bog (a still pond). I
took out tons and tossed it on the compost where it continued to grow!!

Eventually the stuff got covered by grass clippings and winter came. It should
be dead.
Today I was tossing around the compost and my pitchfork got tied up in......
parrot's feather. It was alive under the grass clippings and GREEN and growing!

This comes as an insult to injury as yesterday I was lifting leaves out of the
Frog Bog and my pitchfork gets all tied up in parrot's feather stems. Dormant
still, I guess, and I have to yank
and yank to get them out along with the leaves.

I'm am really starting to hate the stuff. And as it is a noxious weed now in my
state I am going to do my part to try and send it to the great pond in the sky!

k30a
Old 04-04-2003, 11:20 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

~ jan wrote:
weather is not very favorable. So i like reading about how others are able
to get outdoors and get their hands dirty so to speak. So please be very
descriptive to satisfy my outdoor appetite lol.

Well we've had a couple really warm days and then it dropped back to the
50s, last night it was at or near freezing, though no frost reported
locally. I've yet to jump the gun and take the screens off the koi ponds or
start their filter, water is clear and I have slow winter filtration going
on. Today though, after hearing two treefrogs during the night, I checked
the lily pond and found 3 bunchs of frog spawn in the anacharis. ) ~ jan

Would you believe I have 2 lily pads on the surface? This
certainly is weird weather we're having. The Star Magnolia
is about to bloom - that means we're in for a bad storm.
The blossoms are very fragile and are usually damaged before
the whole tree blossoms out.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 05-04-2003, 02:32 AM
Russ and Cathy

Jan i will take your 50's if you take our ice storm. lol Thankfully we
havent lost power yet but 10's of thousands have here in Western New York.
Where are you located?
Thanks for your descriptions.
Cathy

==----------
-----= Over 100,000 Newsgroups - Unlimited Fast Downloads - 19 Servers

=-----

Old 05-04-2003, 03:44 AM
Gary Woods

"Russ and Cathy" wrote:

Jan i will take your 50's if you take our ice storm. lol Thankfully we
havent lost power yet but 10's of thousands have here in Western New York.

No outages in the hills west of Albany, New York, but the pine trees have
an alarming layer of ice on them. Nothing like last sprint, when I lay in
the dark and cold listening to breaking trees that sounded like gunshots.
It's almost worth it to see a short fat dog try to find just the "right
spot" in the front yard without falling on her ample butt!

The pond is still ice covered, but I heard peepers last Saturday night.
They've gone back to sleep now, though.

Old 05-04-2003, 03:44 AM
Russ and Cathy

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
"Russ and Cathy" wrote:

Jan i will take your 50's if you take our ice storm. lol Thankfully we
havent lost power yet but 10's of thousands have here in Western New

York.

No outages in the hills west of Albany, New York, but the pine trees have
an alarming layer of ice on them. Nothing like last sprint, when I lay in
the dark and cold listening to breaking trees that sounded like gunshots.
It's almost worth it to see a short fat dog try to find just the "right
spot" in the front yard without falling on her ample butt!

The pond is still ice covered, but I heard peepers last Saturday night.
They've gone back to sleep now, though.

Zone 5/6 in upstate New York, 1200' elevation. NY

Hopefully all the trees and power lines will thaw tomorrow when the temp
goes into the 40's. ( cross your fingers) I hate seeing trees damaged. I
remember that last ice storm 12 years ago. We lived next to a wide creek and
the trees would make a very loud snapping sound and then SPLASH! It was
eerie!! We didnt have electric, heat or water ( we had a well) for a week.
We carted in water from the pool to use to flush the toilets with. Thank God
for that pool! I dont ever want to go through that again.
Cathy

Old 06-04-2003, 02:32 AM
Gregory Young

Hi Russ & Cathy:
Where in WNY? I live just South of E Aurora.. Are you more out in the
Rochester area??
Have you made it to any pond club meetings? The NFKPC (Niagara Frontier Koi
& Pond Club) meets the 2nd Friday of every month at the VFW in North
Tonawanda, starting at 7pm.
Currently we have 130 plus members. Meetings usually draw 80 plus...
We are starting the "Fundamentals of Water Gardening series" with our April
meeting, and will have one section presented each month (meeting). These are
especially designed for those starting out in Water Gardening, but they
include plenty of "pearls" to keep the veterans in our group happy as well..
Our annual Koi show at Mastersons nursery is around the corner, along with
the large auction of manufacturer's new equipment... a great chance to get
some really good deals on all brand new equipment/supplies!
You guys are certainly welcome to attend any meeting.
For details visit our website:
www.nfkpc.org
In the Rochester area, you can visit/join the GVPKC (Genesee Valley Pond &
Koi Club).
Their meetings are the first Friday of the month. (So you can attend 2 club
meetings each month!)
I gave a presentation at their March meeting. Great bunch of folks!
I plan to join them on their pond tour again this year, along with a number
of other folks from the NFKPC.
You can get information on them via their president, Larry Hirsch at
585-473-6276
Happy ponding,
Greg

Old 06-04-2003, 07:44 PM
Gregory Young

Hi Cathy:
I am familiar with LeRoy. Nice area...
You will find you get a great deal of information from joining a local club.
(Not to mention the 10% or more off supplies from local nurseries, water
garden establishments, etc).
The pond tours though are what really sold my wife and me on joining.
As far as busy with schedules, believe me I understand!
I know of 2 members of NFKPC that drive in all the way from Little Valley,
in the Southern tier, each month. That drive is at least 1.5 hours one
way...
Happy ponding,
Greg

"Russ and Cathy" wrote in message
Greg, we live in LeRoy, a town between Batavia and Rochester. The pond

club
sounds interesting but with the schedule we keep, i am not sure we could
make it to any. I sure would love to try though.
Cathy

&

Old 08-04-2003, 03:44 AM
Gregory Young

No, there is one in the Rochester area, with the other one in the Buffalo
area (mostly North of the city).
The Buffalo tour is Saturday, July 26th.
The Rochester tour is in July, but I'm not yet sure of the date. (guessing
July 12th, but that's just a guess).
Both are free to attend, and end in a free dinner, as well as offering you
the opportunity to meet great folks that share the same interests.
Happy ponding,
Greg