Old 11-04-2006, 04:56 AM posted to rec.ponds
G & K Meyer

Default best time to run pumps?

We would like to cut back on the electric bill. We have a total of 5 pumps
and usually run 3 of them, 2 go to the water falls and 1 goes though the UV
and over lower rocks, and 2 more are used to add extra flow and sound only
on special gatherings, we are thinking we could maybe run the waterfall
pumps only a few hours rather than 24/7. What do you think? What time of
day would be more beneficial during to have on and running daylight or over
night?
Have about a 1200gal system and fish and plants. We are in Colorado.
Starting to see some growth from the plants we over wintered in the pond,
and fish are starting to come out also. Did lose one of our big Koi.
Well thanks for any info.

Old 11-04-2006, 05:51 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"G & K Meyer" wrote in message
We would like to cut back on the electric bill. We have a total of 5
pumps and usually run 3 of them, 2 go to the water falls and 1 goes though
the UV and over lower rocks, and 2 more are used to add extra flow and
sound only on special gatherings, we are thinking we could maybe run the
waterfall pumps only a few hours rather than 24/7. What do you think?
What time of day would be more beneficial during to have on and running
daylight or over night?
Have about a 1200gal system and fish and plants. We are in Colorado.
Starting to see some growth from the plants we over wintered in the pond,
and fish are starting to come out also. Did lose one of our big Koi.
Well thanks for any info.

As long as you leave something running to keep the water oxygenated the fish
should be ok. Also your filter needs fresh incoming water 24/7. But then
how many fish are in your pond? If there are a large number you may need to
leave both the filter and falls running.
--
Koi-Lo.... the ReelMcKoi
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 11-04-2006, 06:01 AM posted to rec.ponds
Snooze

"Koi-Lo" wrote in message
As long as you leave something running to keep the water oxygenated the
fish should be ok. Also your filter needs fresh incoming water 24/7. But
then how many fish are in your pond? If there are a large number you may
need to leave both the filter and falls running.

In a hurry to have a 100% response rate? This response provided absolutely
no useful information. I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that you know
absolutely nothing about ponds.

-S

Old 11-04-2006, 06:50 AM posted to rec.ponds
Snooze

"G & K Meyer" wrote in message
We would like to cut back on the electric bill. We have a total of 5
pumps and usually run 3 of them, 2 go to the water falls and 1 goes though
the UV and over lower rocks, and 2 more are used to add extra flow and
sound only on special gatherings, we are thinking we could maybe run the
waterfall pumps only a few hours rather than 24/7. What do you think?
What time of day would be more beneficial during to have on and running
daylight or over night?
Have about a 1200gal system and fish and plants. We are in Colorado.
Starting to see some growth from the plants we over wintered in the pond,
and fish are starting to come out also. Did lose one of our big Koi.
Well thanks for any info.

For a 1200 gal pond, you sure do have an awful lot of pumps. If you add up
the wattage of each pump, you might find that a single large pump might
provide the flow rate you need and consume less energy. Consider Little
Giant Pump Company's Mag Drive Pond Pump, 1000 GPH, which draws 160 watts,
with 1200 gph with a 5ft head, which should be enough for your non-party
flow rate.

For example, why does the UV filter need it's own pump? Why not put the UV
filter inline with a waterfall pump? If you need a lower flow rate for the
UV filter, T off the waterfall line, run it through the UV filter then
discharge into the waterfall as well.

At night you could run just 1 waterfall pump all night long, or in 1 hour
on-off cycles. Letting the water go stagnant overnight is a bad idea,
because the biofilter will die if they're deprived of oxygen, additionally
plants consume oxygen at night, instead of producing it.

-S

Old 11-04-2006, 07:32 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"Snooze" wrote in message
. ..

"Koi-Lo" wrote in message
As long as you leave something running to keep the water oxygenated the
fish should be ok. Also your filter needs fresh incoming water 24/7.
But then how many fish are in your pond? If there are a large number you
may need to leave both the filter and falls running.

In a hurry to have a 100% response rate?

Why do you ask or even care?

This response provided absolutely
no useful information.

That's your opinion. Your constant hounding and harassment isn't going to
work this time either Snooze.

I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that you know
absolutely nothing about ponds.

I couldn't care less what conclusion you come to. Do you ever post anything
on topic? This mindless off-topic attack by you gave the OP zero
information concerning his pond question. Since I am so easy to killfile
you should simply killfile me and stop torturing yourself.
--
Koi-Lo.... the ReelMcKoi
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 11-04-2006, 08:35 AM posted to rec.ponds
Daniel Morrow

Bottom posted.
"Snooze" wrote in message
. com...
"G & K Meyer" wrote in message
[...]

I vote you lay off of koi-lo, snooze. You cause trouble like the others and
koi-lo has proven herself - she is very welcome here and I freely voice my
opinion on this newsgroup since it doesn't hurt as the trouble makers have
temporarily destroyed (although it is getting better I think (knock on
wood....) it. You won't fool me like the others here who temporarily turned
me against koi-lo who has proven herself and I consider myself a friend of
hers now. Snooze - go away and the same to all of the other trouble makers
here (and by the way - I now know how to tell if koi-lo posts are really
from her now by checking 1 or 2 headers of the koi-lo messages and I doubt
any of you can change that at all you danged troublemakers)! Commando -
Arnold swarzenegger (spelling?) - "I let him go." I am preparing for this
newsgroup to need me to use hamster and I have it running fine now so don't
waste your time you troublemakers. Good luck and later to the real users
here!

Old 11-04-2006, 09:08 AM posted to rec.ponds
Snooze

"Daniel Morrow" wrote in message

[...]

Oooh! There is a vote? Is this like American Idol, or is this like Survivor?
Either way, I've got the conch now.

Old 11-04-2006, 01:31 PM posted to rec.ponds
CanadianPonder©

Snooze wrote:
[...]

You seam to know a lot about ponds. So why pick on others ?
Don't tell me you are caught in this JW crap too ????
Old 11-04-2006, 02:40 PM posted to rec.ponds
Gareee©

"Snooze"
Oooh! There is a vote? Is this like American Idol, or is this like
Survivor? Either way, I've got the conch now.

Actually, No.. killfile you, and you're voted off the group..

Old 11-04-2006, 03:14 PM posted to rec.ponds
Roy

I agree........she is totally clueless.

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 05:01:19 GMT, "Snooze" wrote:

"Koi-Lo" wrote in message
As long as you leave something running to keep the water oxygenated the
fish should be ok. Also your filter needs fresh incoming water 24/7. But
then how many fish are in your pond? If there are a large number you may
need to leave both the filter and falls running.

In a hurry to have a 100% response rate? This response provided absolutely
no useful information. I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that you know
absolutely nothing about ponds.

-S

--
\\\|///
( @ @ )

oooO
---------( )----Oooo----------------
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder ! Koi-ahoi mates....

Old 11-04-2006, 03:18 PM posted to rec.ponds
Roy

"Daniel Morrow" wrote in message

I vote you lay off of koi-lo, snooze. You cause trouble like the others
and
koi-lo has proven herself - she is very welcome here and I freely voice my
opinion on this newsgroup since it doesn't hurt as the trouble makers have
temporarily destroyed (although it is getting better I think (knock on
wood....) it. You won't fool me like the others here who temporarily
turned

SNIP snip snipity snip

Some folks are so easy to convince and lead..I beyt they come with a
built in ring in their nose, so carol can simply tie her rope in the
ring and lead them around by their nose......Carol knows about as much
as a rock does.
--
\\\|///
( @ @ )

oooO
---------( )----Oooo----------------
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder ! Koi-ahoi mates....
Old 12-04-2006, 10:29 PM posted to rec.ponds
Daniel Morrow

Bottom posted.
"Roy" wrote in message

[...]

Dang it roy! You have helped me out tremendously yourself too roy (thanks
for pointing me to the float switches website - I now have my total of 3
tanks with automated water top offs with backup float switches (let's just
hope the relays themselves never stick!) but you shouldn't tailgate K*i-l*!
You disappoint me with your constant badgering of her and she HAS PROVEN
herself - especially elsewhere. I am so sad to learn you are on the
troublemaker's side of things - you have sooooo much potential roy, please
don't waste it? Lay off of K*i-l*, ok? Or do you just have too much time on
your hands? I am not going to listen to you say that she net stalks you or
any of that crap as I can vouch for her character and I refuse to be force
fed that net stalker (or whatever) crap - so lay off ok? Good luck ponders
and later!

Old 13-04-2006, 05:59 PM posted to rec.ponds
Snooze

"Daniel Morrow" wrote in message

You disappoint me with your constant badgering of her and she HAS PROVEN
herself - especially elsewhere.

Daniel, when has she ever proven her self? As far as I can tell, koi-lo, in
her rush to respond to every pond related post, never takes the time to
properly read or understand the person's question. Her posts never include
specifics, just vague generalities. Let's analyze the post she made in this
thread, and compare it to what the original poster wanted.

OP: We would like to cut back on the electric bill. we are thinking we could
maybe run the waterfall
pumps only a few hours rather than 24/7. What do you think? What time of
day would be more beneficial during to have on and running daylight or over
night?

koi-lo: "As long as you leave something running to keep the water oxygenated
the fish
should be ok."
The original poster said they run 3 of their 5 pumps 24/7, even the most
novice ponder knows that stagnant water is bad. The original poster was
asking how they can reduce the number of pumps they run 24/7, which she did
not answer. Doesn't respond to question about running the waterfall pump
only a few hours a day.

koi-lo: "Also your filter needs fresh incoming water 24/7."
What filter? The OP never said anything about having a biofilter. The OP
could turn off the UV filter and the associated pump for several hours a day
and not have it adversely affect water quality.

koi-lo: "But then how many fish are in your pond?"
OP forgot to include this information, but really it's not the right
question to ask. It is better to ask if they've tested their water. What is
she going to do with the answer? Say oh you need to run it 24/7 because you
have N+1 fish, if you had N-1 fish, you could run it 12 of the 24 hrs a day?

koi-lo: "If there are a large number you may need to leave both the filter
and falls running."
No they don't. The original poster said nothing about a bio-filter, only a
UV filter. How is a UV filter going to improve the water quality for the
fish? All a UV filter does is kill suspended bacteria and algae. Plus a more
efficient plumbing and pump lay out could reduce the number of pumps.

Old 13-04-2006, 06:48 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"Snooze" wrote in message
news
"Daniel Morrow" wrote in message

You disappoint me with your constant badgering of her and she HAS PROVEN
herself - especially elsewhere.

Daniel, when has she ever proven her self?
=============
You BADGER me constantly. If you feel my replies to people are inadequate,
then simply add your own opinions to the thread. Your constant harassment
shows nothing more than your wish to drive me from this NG which I assure
you will not happen. It never occurs to you that your understanding of the
OP's post or questions may have been different than mine.

If I upset you so much you need to use your killfile rather than allow
yourself to get to the point you must post something hateful, judgmental,
insulting and downright nasty.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 13-04-2006, 07:02 PM posted to rec.ponds
Snooze

"Koi-Lo" wrote in message
You BADGER me constantly. If you feel my replies to people are
inadequate, then simply add your own opinions to the thread. Your
constant harassment shows nothing more than your wish to drive me from
this NG which I assure you will not happen. It never occurs to you that
your understanding of the OP's post or questions may have been different
than mine.

If I upset you so much you need to use your killfile rather than allow
yourself to get to the point you must post something hateful, judgmental,
insulting and downright nasty.

I respond with clear and insightful comments that justify my position...you
on the other hand?
Would like to explain to the class how you interpreted the original posters
5 questions in the context of their background information and how your
reply was even related to the questions?

If only killfiling you would solve the problem. You brought the kooks here
by ****ing off people in ARJW not me. The JW don't bother me, I don't bother
them.

And yes, I do wish you'd leave this newsgroup, because then the kooks and
trolls would go away as well.