Old 12-04-2006, 11:02 PM posted to rec.ponds
Joan

Default Plant shelves

I have a 300 gallon stock tank that I'm keeping as a
quarentine/hospital tank in case my pond fish need it. I'd like to
put some plant shelves in. Is cedar or other regular wood okay, or
might these contain substances that would be toxic to the fish?

Thanks.
Old 13-04-2006, 12:14 AM posted to rec.ponds
Snooze

"Joan" wrote in message
I have a 300 gallon stock tank that I'm keeping as a
quarentine/hospital tank in case my pond fish need it. I'd like to
put some plant shelves in. Is cedar or other regular wood okay, or
might these contain substances that would be toxic to the fish?

Thanks.

Why not just use bricks or cinder blocks? Failing that, upside down
terracotta pots make good plant stands.

-S

Old 13-04-2006, 01:21 AM posted to rec.ponds
Gail Futoran

"Joan" wrote in message
I have a 300 gallon stock tank that I'm keeping as a
quarentine/hospital tank in case my pond fish need it. I'd like to
put some plant shelves in. Is cedar or other regular wood okay, or
might these contain substances that would be toxic to the fish?

Thanks.

I use plastic letter crates that you can buy at
office supply stores or Wal-Mart or Target
etc. I haven't noticed any problems for my
goldfish, minnows or plants.

You can also turn plastic nursery pots
upside down, but I don't find those as
stable (smaller "footprint" than the crates)
and have had some plants fall over.

Gail

Old 13-04-2006, 07:31 PM posted to rec.ponds

plain old cheap untreated pine is fine for fish. I found putting a pipe across the
top and hanging water lilies worked really well. Ingrid

Joan wrote:

I have a 300 gallon stock tank that I'm keeping as a
quarentine/hospital tank in case my pond fish need it. I'd like to
put some plant shelves in. Is cedar or other regular wood okay, or
might these contain substances that would be toxic to the fish?

Thanks.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 13-04-2006, 10:04 PM posted to rec.ponds
Joan

I have a 300 gallon stock tank that I'm keeping as a
quarentine/hospital tank in case my pond fish need it. I'd like to
put some plant shelves in. Is cedar or other regular wood okay, or
might these contain substances that would be toxic to the fish?

Thanks.

Why not just use bricks or cinder blocks? Failing that, upside down
terracotta pots make good plant stands.

-S

Thanks for responding. The problem is, the tank is around 2 feet
deep. I did find a metal plant stand today that I think might work.
It's painted metal, though. I don't know what kind of paint. Do you
think that would be safe for fish?

Old 13-04-2006, 10:06 PM posted to rec.ponds
Joan

I have a 300 gallon stock tank that I'm keeping as a
quarentine/hospital tank in case my pond fish need it. I'd like to
put some plant shelves in. Is cedar or other regular wood okay, or
might these contain substances that would be toxic to the fish?

Thanks.

I use plastic letter crates that you can buy at
office supply stores or Wal-Mart or Target
etc. I haven't noticed any problems for my
goldfish, minnows or plants.

You can also turn plastic nursery pots
upside down, but I don't find those as
stable (smaller "footprint" than the crates)
and have had some plants fall over.

Gail

Those are good ideas, thanks. The problem is the depth of the pond.
(see other reply in this thread.) Any thoughts about whether painted
metal plant stands might be safe for fish?

Old 14-04-2006, 03:27 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

This is just in general, but one can get black plastic stock shelves and
only use one level... bigger pond, would have lots of shelves in one box.
As an example: http://tinyurl.com/jq89u I know you can find them in
different sizes & colors. ~ jan

-----------------
Old 14-04-2006, 04:04 AM posted to rec.ponds
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

We use plastic milk crates as stands. Also cinder blocks. What depth do
you need?

Jim

--
See our pond at: home.bellsouth.net/personalpages/pwp-jameshurley
Ask me about Jog A Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Old 14-04-2006, 06:16 AM posted to rec.ponds
Snooze

"Joan" wrote in message
Thanks for responding. The problem is, the tank is around 2 feet
deep. I did find a metal plant stand today that I think might work.
It's painted metal, though. I don't know what kind of paint. Do you
think that would be safe for fish?

I'm guessing it's a iron or steel wire bent into the shape of a pot
holder/stand, then coated with a vinyl or latex paint. My bet is it quickly
turns into a rusting thing with chips of paint peeling off.

If it's 2ft deep,. what about upside down milk crates? and upside down soda
crates You can usually find those behind restaurants, convience stores and
grocery stores. The milk crates I got have a plastic mesh on 3 sides, so the
top and front are open, when upside down, they make a little cave.

In my pond, I put them on top of 2 cinderblocks to make a little tunnel
which the big fish seem to enjoy and the smaller fish like to swim through
the handles and mesh. Someone in here once posted that they made caves and
plant stands out of 4" and 6" PVC tubes. Try that from your local hardware
store.

-S

Old 17-04-2006, 07:54 PM posted to rec.ponds
Joan

[snipped for bandwidth]
[metal plant stand in pond]

I'm guessing it's a iron or steel wire bent into the shape of a pot
holder/stand, then coated with a vinyl or latex paint. My bet is it quickly
turns into a rusting thing with chips of paint peeling off.

Yeah, you have a point. Bet it will. :-( I'm going to have to keep
an eye on it.

If it's 2ft deep,. what about upside down milk crates? and upside down soda
crates You can usually find those behind restaurants, convience stores and
grocery stores. The milk crates I got have a plastic mesh on 3 sides, so the
top and front are open, when upside down, they make a little cave.

Oh, good idea! I love the idea of the cave, too. The crates might be
too short, but I can always prop them up on blocks.

In my pond, I put them on top of 2 cinderblocks to make a little tunnel
which the big fish seem to enjoy and the smaller fish like to swim through
the handles and mesh. Someone in here once posted that they made caves and
plant stands out of 4" and 6" PVC tubes. Try that from your local hardware
store.

-S

That's a great idea, thanks!!

Joan

Old 17-04-2006, 07:55 PM posted to rec.ponds
Joan

I use plastic letter crates that you can buy at
office supply stores or Wal-Mart or Target
etc. I haven't noticed any problems for my
goldfish, minnows or plants.

Another great idea for a source, thanks!

You can also turn plastic nursery pots
upside down, but I don't find those as
stable (smaller "footprint" than the crates)
and have had some plants fall over.

Gail

Yeah, I tried turning a 4 gallon bucket upside down. It was okay, but
not too stable either, and it only held 1 plant.

Joan

Old 17-04-2006, 07:55 PM posted to rec.ponds
Joan

Oh gosh, that's a really neat idea. Thanks! I'll go look around and
see what I can find.

Old 17-04-2006, 07:56 PM posted to rec.ponds
Joan

Oh, good, I'm glad to know that.

Hmmmm, hanging stuff from a pipe...interesting. You guys are great!

Joan

Old 17-04-2006, 07:57 PM posted to rec.ponds
Joan

I think about 19 inches. I think the combo of blocks and crates would
work. Thanks!

Joan

Old 17-04-2006, 09:46 PM posted to rec.ponds
Kathy

"Joan" wrote in message
I have a 300 gallon stock tank that I'm keeping as a
quarentine/hospital tank in case my pond fish need it. I'd like to
put some plant shelves in. Is cedar or other regular wood okay, or
might these contain substances that would be toxic to the fish?

Thanks.

Do you have a Big Lots store near you?? I found wire hangers at mine that
are rounded at the hook part. They fit over the rim of the 300 gallon and
all Rubbermaid tanks perfect, giving you a shelf you can run all around the
tank with plants, only using about 6 inches of top water, and the fish love
to hide under them.
Keeps the tank free for fish to swim under them and have use of the whole
pond , and gives you flowers to look at like a garden. Almost no work! Kathy
in AZ

Is It Wise to Mortar Pebbles onto Shelves? Davy Ponds 1 10-09-2006 09:56 PM
Pond Shelves - Recommendations Please? Davy Ponds 12 02-08-2006 01:07 PM
Pond Shelves - 2nd Question Davy Ponds 5 31-07-2006 06:09 PM
Pond Shelves - Recommendations Please? Wëndãlen Gardening 0 30-07-2006 04:18 AM
shelves Larry Orchids 2 21-11-2004 02:43 PM