Old 15-04-2006, 04:18 PM posted to rec.ponds
Haymish Pupkin

Default Bloated bream may need your help

Hello

We have 2 bream in our pond. One of the bream has bloated up like a balloon
and his scales are all sticking out like a pine cone. He/she also points his
head down at a 45degree angle and stays in the same place for ages. His/her
tail looks a bit raggy too.

I was hoping someone might be able to diagnose the problem and suggest a
suitable treatment.

Other info which might help.

The fish are in the bottom pond of a three tier system so oxygen should be
OK. There is also a oxygen stone in the bottom pool. We have just given the
pond a spring clean and the fish do look livlier and happier.

We have the following other fish in the same pool.

3 golden orfe - looking fine.
3 Goldfish - looking fine
1 more bream - looks OK
2 Koi - look like the have a couple of patches of fungus on them

Also: 3-4 large frogs which have laid lots of frogs spawn.
There are also 4 pots of water lillies and a large clump of irisis.

We add water conditioner when we add tap water and somethimes a little pond
salt but apart from that don't do much to the pond.

The pond has a filtration sytem with a UV lamp which is more than adequate
for it's size.

Hope someone can help

Regards

Haymish

Old 15-04-2006, 07:06 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 15:18:13 GMT, "Haymish Pupkin" wrote:

What Gale said. or go to Puregold website

Other info which might help.

The fish are in the bottom pond of a three tier system so oxygen should be
OK. There is also a oxygen stone in the bottom pool. We have just given the
pond a spring clean and the fish do look livlier and happier. Haymish

Since you just did a spring clean I highly suggest that you keep an eye on
your water quality. Ammonia, Nitrite, pH & KH. ~ jan

--------------
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 16-04-2006, 01:08 AM posted to rec.ponds
Haymish Pupkin

G Pearce wrote:
[...]

I think we need to put this fish to sleep. Is there a recommended way of
doing this? Isolating and then adding a chemical to put it to sleep without
pain? Don't want to throw it in the bin gasping for air?

Thanks

Haymish

Old 16-04-2006, 01:40 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

I think we need to put this fish to sleep. Is there a recommended way of
doing this? Isolating and then adding a chemical to put it to sleep without
pain? Don't want to throw it in the bin gasping for air?
Haymish

There is Finquel, Clove of Oil, or bagging and freezing. Personally, if the
fish is large enough, I think the quickest dead is to whack them on the
head like a trout (if you're experienced at doing this). ~ jan
--------------

Old 16-04-2006, 02:19 PM posted to rec.ponds
Mister Gardener

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 17:40:05 -0700, ~ janj
wrote:

I think we need to put this fish to sleep. Is there a recommended way of
doing this? Isolating and then adding a chemical to put it to sleep without
pain? Don't want to throw it in the bin gasping for air?
Haymish

There is Finquel, Clove of Oil, or bagging and freezing. Personally, if the
fish is large enough, I think the quickest dead is to whack them on the
head like a trout (if you're experienced at doing this). ~ jan
--------------

One of my aquarium books recommends throwing the fish forcefully on
the floor. I guess you need to hope and pray that the first hit does
the job. Can't remember what book that was in, I remember that I was a
little surprised to find this advice in an otherwise well written
book.

-- Mister Gardener
Old 16-04-2006, 03:13 PM posted to rec.ponds
Gill Passman

wrote:

I think we need to put this fish to sleep. Is there a recommended way of
doing this? Isolating and then adding a chemical to put it to sleep without
pain? Don't want to throw it in the bin gasping for air?
Haymish

There is Finquel, Clove of Oil, or bagging and freezing. Personally, if the
fish is large enough, I think the quickest dead is to whack them on the
head like a trout (if you're experienced at doing this). ~ jan
--------------

One of my aquarium books recommends throwing the fish forcefully on
the floor. I guess you need to hope and pray that the first hit does
the job. Can't remember what book that was in, I remember that I was a
little surprised to find this advice in an otherwise well written
book.

-- Mister Gardener

A white spirit such as vodka or gin puts them to sleep quite effectively
and painlessly...but I would imagine the quantity required for a fish as
large as a bream would be very expensive....
Old 16-04-2006, 03:47 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"Mister Gardener" wrote in message
One of my aquarium books recommends throwing the fish forcefully on
the floor. I guess you need to hope and pray that the first hit does
the job. Can't remember what book that was in, I remember that I was a
little surprised to find this advice in an otherwise well written
book.

=================
That sounds sadistic when freezing or maybe beheading it would be quick and
sure. :-( I read about clove oil and alcohol mixed in their water is
painless as the fish just fall asleep and die.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 16-04-2006, 03:48 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"Gill Passman" wrote in message
A white spirit such as vodka or gin puts them to sleep quite effectively
and painlessly...but I would imagine the quantity required for a fish as
large as a bream would be very expensive....

=====================
I think it's supposed to be diluted in water.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 16-04-2006, 05:02 PM posted to rec.ponds
Gill Passman

Koi-Lo wrote:

"Gill Passman" wrote in message

A white spirit such as vodka or gin puts them to sleep quite
effectively and painlessly...but I would imagine the quantity required
for a fish as large as a bream would be very expensive....

=====================
I think it's supposed to be diluted in water.

Thanks for that...a white spirit such as Vodka or Gin gradually dripped
into a container holding the fish and water.....the amount depends on
the volume of water you have in the container....

Old 16-04-2006, 05:06 PM posted to rec.ponds
Gill Passman

Koi-Lo wrote:

"Mister Gardener" wrote in message

One of my aquarium books recommends throwing the fish forcefully on
the floor. I guess you need to hope and pray that the first hit does
the job. Can't remember what book that was in, I remember that I was a
little surprised to find this advice in an otherwise well written
book.

=================
That sounds sadistic when freezing or maybe beheading it would be quick
and sure. :-( I read about clove oil and alcohol mixed in their water
is painless as the fish just fall asleep and die.

Not necessarily - it would be similar to a large blow on the head....I
would imagine with a large enough fish it would be quick and painless
but not an option I would chose....I prefer the mixing of alcohol in
with the water....I would also try clove oil if I could remember to buy
it whenever I pass a chemist/health food shop....I could never do the
beheading bit....I've read that freezing is also quite a nasty way to go....

Gill
Old 16-04-2006, 06:18 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"Gill Passman" wrote in message
Not necessarily - it would be similar to a large blow on the head....I
would imagine with a large enough fish it would be quick and painless but
not an option I would chose....I prefer the mixing of alcohol in with the
water....I would also try clove oil if I could remember to buy it whenever
I pass a chemist/health food shop....I could never do the beheading
bit....I've read that freezing is also quite a nasty way to go....

========================
The differences of opinion out there on the net are amazing! :-) That's
why I have the small tank where they can pass away naturally in a pleasant
environment. I wont kill them because I have no way to judge what is and
isn't painless for them.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 16-04-2006, 07:20 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

There is Finquel, Clove of Oil, or bagging and freezing. Personally, if the
fish is large enough, I think the quickest dead is to whack them on the
head like a trout (if you're experienced at doing this). ~ jan
--------------

I just have to fix this. That's Oil of Clove and quickest death.

So much for my proof reading skills. ;o) ~ jan

-----------------
Old 16-04-2006, 07:23 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

The differences of opinion out there on the net are amazing! :-) That's
why I have the small tank where they can pass away naturally in a pleasant
environment. I wont kill them because I have no way to judge what is and
isn't painless for them.

I'm sure if they're sick/dying they aren't happy/comfortable isolated in a
small tank. If one wants painless, buy some Finquel. That is what we use to
sedate and do surgery on fish. ~ jan

-----------------
Old 16-04-2006, 07:27 PM posted to rec.ponds
Gill Passman

~ janj wrote:
The differences of opinion out there on the net are amazing! :-) That's
why I have the small tank where they can pass away naturally in a pleasant
environment. I wont kill them because I have no way to judge what is and
isn't painless for them.

I'm sure if they're sick/dying they aren't happy/comfortable isolated in a
small tank. If one wants painless, buy some Finquel. That is what we use to
sedate and do surgery on fish. ~ jan

I would guess that depends on the size of the fish....with smaller fish
I have been known to put them in a tank on their own and let them drift
off quietly....if they are very distressed I do the alcohol thing...and
sometimes I just leave them in situ....

Gill