Old 09-05-2006, 10:04 PM
Registered User

Question Need some info about a water source

My husband and I dug a pond this weekend it's about 20ft x 15ft and around 4 to 5 ft deep. We put a liner in and now we are not sure what to do about to water supply. Do you have to have a constent flow of freshwater to prevent it from becoming stagnent. I don't think there is a spring around the pond because when we dug no water rushed out of the ground. So does that mean we need to get a filter system to circulate the water? Please help we don't know what needs to be done. Thanks ssalapek
Old 10-05-2006, 01:05 PM posted to rec.ponds

Default Need some info about a water source

most of us filter and recycle the water thru the pond, usually with some kind of
fountain or waterfall. filters are essential if there are fish. filters can be
mechanical or veggie filters where wastes flow thru growing plants which remove
wastes. Ingrid

ssalapek wrote:

My husband and I dug a pond this weekend it's about 20ft x 15ft and
around 4 to 5 ft deep. We put a liner in and now we are not sure what
to do about to water supply. Do you have to have a constent flow of
freshwater to prevent it from becoming stagnent. I don't think there
is a spring around the pond because when we dug no water rushed out of
the ground. So does that mean we need to get a filter system to
circulate the water? Please help we don't know what needs to be done.
Thanks ssalapek

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 10-05-2006, 05:36 PM posted to rec.ponds
Derek Broughton

ssalapek wrote:

My husband and I dug a pond this weekend it's about 20ft x 15ft and
around 4 to 5 ft deep. We put a liner in and now we are not sure what
to do about to water supply. Do you have to have a constent flow of
freshwater to prevent it from becoming stagnent.

Not absolutely - it depends on your plant density. Heavily planted ponds
with a low fish load can stay fresh without any regular additions of water.
That tends to be hard to do in a pond the size of yours, though.

--
derek
Old 10-05-2006, 06:55 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"ssalapek" wrote in message

My husband and I dug a pond this weekend it's about 20ft x 15ft and
around 4 to 5 ft deep. We put a liner in and now we are not sure what
to do about to water supply. Do you have to have a constent flow of
freshwater to prevent it from becoming stagnent.

=================
You can circulate the water with an inexpensive pond water pump from places
like Home Depot or Lowe's. I have several different types of "heads" that
fit my pumps. These are just for water movement and to prevent stagnation
when I don't have a filter running for some reason.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

-------------
Get FREE newsgroup access from http://www.cheap56k.com

Old 11-05-2006, 05:04 PM posted to rec.ponds

We are in zone 5 and have a 4 year old pond, 53' x 55' and about 4-5'
deep (about 100,000 gallon pond). We put in a 5000gph pond pump just
to circulate the water and that works great. Yours wont need a pump as
big but should have something circulating the water in some way. We
fountain ours (until the waterfall & bog is complete later this year)
to break the surface water. There will be no issues with stagnation or
mosquitoes with the water moving. As far as the filter issue goes from
experience I can say that plants are the most important factor,
espically if it is in full sun. By late summer your pond will be pea
green if in the sun (but still 100% fine and alive) from algae,
espically if new. Many, many live plants in a pond will do much more
than a filter. Trouble is it takes a lot of time to 'grow' live
plants in a large pond unless you can spend a ton of money on plants
and have them survive. Pond lilies are the best because they block the
sun and use nutrients that the algae thrives on. Our pond still is out
of balance, looking at doubling our pond lilly population this year and
the other plants are just now starting to take over the pond. It has
been trial and error to see what plants will survive in our pond. The
rain mostly fills our pond but in dry spells I drag out the garden
hose. If you have questions email me and I will gladly answer from
experience.

Old 11-05-2006, 05:34 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

wrote in message
oups.com...
Trouble is it takes a lot of time to 'grow' live
plants in a large pond unless you can spend a ton of money on plants
and have them survive.

I found the most rampant are the Pickerel weed and yellow water iris.

Pond lilies are the best because they block the
sun and use nutrients that the algae thrives on. Our pond still is out
of balance, looking at doubling our pond lilly population this year and
the other plants are just now starting to take over the pond.

You may want to run some tests on the water to make sure there are enough of
the right nutrients for pond plants. I have to add Potassium to my ponds or
the plants come to a standstill.

Old 16-05-2006, 03:11 PM posted to rec.ponds

You may want to run some tests on the water to make sure there are enough of
the right nutrients for pond plants. I have to add Potassium to my ponds or
the plants come to a standstill.

Interesting, never thought of that. My plants are not at a standstill
but they could grow faster - in my opinion (watching grass grow). As
long as the potassium does not cost an arm and leg for a 100,000 gal
pond. Time to look into it.

Thanks, Rick

Old 17-05-2006, 04:29 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default Need some info about a water source - Potassium

*Note: There are several *Koi-Lo's* on the pond and aquaria groups.*

Interesting, never thought of that. My plants are not at a standstill
but they could grow faster - in my opinion (watching grass grow). As
long as the potassium does not cost an arm and leg for a 100,000 gal
pond. Time to look into it.

That sounds more like a small lake to me. Before buying anything run some
tests to see what the water (soil bottom?) is deficient in. It could be
iron or some other nutrient or you may just be expecting too much.

Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.
My Pond & Aquarium Pages: http://tinyurl.com/9do58
Disclaimer:
Trolls. They can't get me fired. I'm retired.
They can't get my husband fired. He owns the Company.
They can't get me disfellowshipped because I left the Org.
I do not post from Google, Earthlink, Newsguy or Verizon.
Rude or obscene messages are not mine .
All messages under the name Carol or Randy Gulley are forgeries.
The person impersonating me is Roy Hauer of Hope Hull AL.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~{@ ~~~~~~~{@ ~~~~~{@

Old 17-05-2006, 02:12 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

On Tue, 16 May 2006 22:29:44 -0500, "Koi-Lo"
wrote:
*Note: There are several *Koi-Lo's* on the pond and aquaria groups.*

Interesting, never thought of that. My plants are not at a standstill
but they could grow faster - in my opinion (watching grass grow). As
long as the potassium does not cost an arm and leg for a 100,000 gal
pond. Time to look into it.

That sounds more like a small lake to me. Before buying anything run some
tests to see what the water (soil bottom?) is deficient in. It could be
iron or some other nutrient or you may just be expecting too much.

Koi-Lo....bieing a total whore since born
Cocksucker since 1955.
My Pond & Aquarium Pages: who the **** has a ****ing pond, not me I livein a trailer
Disclaimer: No guarantee I am STD free.
Trolls. They can't get me fired. I'm retired.
They can't get my husband fired. Were not married
They can't get me disfellowshipped because I was never a member since I oculd not make the grade.
I do post from Google, Earthlink, Newsguy or Verizon.
Rude or obscene messages are most certainly from Carol Adamo Gulley and Randy my wanna be husband.
All messages under the name Carol or Randy Gulley are real posts.
The person impersonating me is Carol Gulley of My. Julliet TN

WORK HARDER, Carol Gulleys grandsons welfare income depends on it!

I need some suggestions. I went a little crazing with some Crocosmia 'Lucifer' and some daylillies and I need to get them undeer control! Marc Gardening 4 31-05-2005 03:17 PM
Need some info Gntry Gardening 1 24-05-2005 04:54 PM
upgrading a swimming hole in a creek I need need info mark delaporte Ponds 8 17-07-2003 09:22 PM
upgrading a swimming hole in a creek I need need info mark delaporte Ponds 0 17-07-2003 04:28 PM