Old 18-06-2006, 10:12 AM posted to rec.ponds
BB

Default Water Hyacinth (Part 2)

FINALLY got my hands on some WH a bit ago. Darn things are a good 18
inches across!! I ain't never seen 'em that big before...

Anyway, how long before the three I got start really sucking up the
nutrients that are currently feeding my algae? (It's only about 70-80
gallons of pond...) The algae does make a really nice mulch around the
plants around the pond, though...

--Bryan (who's doing his part in keeping the pond-posts in the pond
group... )

* Can't see the Forest | Bryan B. *
* Through the Trees? | Reply if you want. E-mail *
* Take it out! | address changes frequently *
* (Damn Viruses!) | to foil spambots. *
Old 18-06-2006, 02:26 PM posted to rec.ponds
Köi-Lö

Ahhhhhhhh aint that ****ing sweet Brian, keeping pond posts in the
pond group.Yu ****ing asshole now keep yur dick in your pants
instead of up carols ass.

Old 18-06-2006, 03:05 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default Water Hyacinth (Part 2) - water hyacinths (there are 2 kil-los here)

*Note: There are two "Koi-Lo's" on the pond and aquaria groups.

"BB" wrote in message
. 125.201...
FINALLY got my hands on some WH a bit ago. Darn things are a good 18
inches across!! I ain't never seen 'em that big before...

Anyway, how long before the three I got start really sucking up the
nutrients that are currently feeding my algae? (It's only about 70-80
gallons of pond...) The algae does make a really nice mulch around the
plants around the pond, though...

--Bryan (who's doing his part in keeping the pond-posts in the pond
group... )

They will start immediately. As for starving out the algae, that would
mainly depend on how nutrient rich your little pond is when you add them.
Do a few 30 to 50% water changes to make it easier and faster for the WH to
remove what's produced by the critters, and to soak up whatever nutrients
are left.

--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 18-06-2006, 05:23 PM posted to rec.ponds
Bill Stock

"BB" wrote in message
. 125.201...
FINALLY got my hands on some WH a bit ago. Darn things are a good 18
inches across!! I ain't never seen 'em that big before...

Anyway, how long before the three I got start really sucking up the
nutrients that are currently feeding my algae? (It's only about 70-80
gallons of pond...) The algae does make a really nice mulch around the
plants around the pond, though...

I've never seen them that big, you must live in a warmer climate. You don't
mention how much coverage you have, but at 18", one plant should just about
do your whole pond. Mine are doing quite well, I've had to add nutrients
twice already. Mine suck about 10 ppm of Nitrate out of the pond (500 g) in
about a week. I had a terrible problem finding them last year too, so the
Algae got a head start. I kept some inside this winter and had to throw out
a few buckets recently.

I had a terrible probelm with String Algae last summer, it was practically
September before I got it under control. The Algae was sucking all the
nutrients out of the water and the WH were sickly. Once I started adding
nutrients the WH slowly recovered and covered the surface. I don't suggest
you add nutrients, unless you know where your water quality is. The shade
the WH provide is probably just as big a factor as the nutrients they
remove.

Do your roots look healthy? If not, the limiting nutrient will affect the
ability of your WH to remove Nitrtates/Phosphates.

Old 18-06-2006, 05:53 PM posted to rec.ponds
Köi-Lö

Dumbass probably does not even have WH.......probably TARO or a clump
of frogbit
........it does not even get close to that size in the hot southern
states.

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 12:23:10 -0400, "Bill Stock"
wrote:

.125.201...

Old 18-06-2006, 06:26 PM posted to rec.ponds
Marco Schwarz

Hi..

I've never seen them that big, you must live in a warmer
climate.

Mine died in spring: I suppose it was too cold outdoors.

But I've never seen a 18" WH, too.

I had a terrible probelm with String Algae last summer, it
was practically September before I got it under control.
The Algae was sucking all the nutrients out of the water
and the WH were sickly. Once I started adding nutrients
the WH slowly recovered and covered the surface.

Had similar trouble with water lettuce. In may I cleaned and
refilled one summer pond with a mixture of tap water and
rain water. The water lettuce I had troublesome
overwintered at the souterrain window didn't start growing
and were in danger to die while the hair algae multiplied.
But some flower fertiliser saved that critical situation..
--
cu
Marco
Old 18-06-2006, 06:27 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

wrote:

FINALLY got my hands on some WH a bit ago. Darn things are a good 18
inches across!! I ain't never seen 'em that big before...

Anyway, how long before the three I got start really sucking up the
nutrients that are currently feeding my algae? (It's only about 70-80
gallons of pond...) The algae does make a really nice mulch around the
plants around the pond, though...

--Bryan (who's doing his part in keeping the pond-posts in the pond
group... )

Hi Bryan,

Right away, though part of their anti-algae action is when they produce
more shading out the algae below. Btw, what is your pH? ~ jan
--------------
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 18-06-2006, 06:53 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 19:26:42 +0200, Marco Schwarz wrote:

But I've never seen a 18" WH, too.

If it is crowded it will easily grow up rather than out. I'm wondering if
that is why BB's is so large. Leggy, rather than an 18" clump? ~ jan
-----------------

Also ponding troll free at:
http://groups.google.com/group/The-Freshwater-Aquarium
Old 18-06-2006, 08:49 PM posted to rec.ponds
BB

~ janj wrote in
:

Anyway, how long before the three I got start really sucking up the
nutrients that are currently feeding my algae?

Right away, though part of their anti-algae action is when they produce
more shading out the algae below. Btw, what is your pH? ~ jan
--------------

Ok, I probably should have been a little clearer. I meant, how long
before I really start to notice a difference in the algae. (I think I'm
seeing a difference today, but not sure.)

And I'm not sure what my pH is. My testing kits got sorta water logged
over the winter and I haven't yet replaced 'em. But it's on well water
and I flood it out occasionally (only about 10% each time) into the lawn.

I *do* know from the past that the well water is a bit on the hard side.
The pH is a little on the high side. Naturally, no chlorine or the like.

--Bryan

Old 18-06-2006, 08:52 PM posted to rec.ponds
BB

~ janj wrote in
:

But I've never seen a 18" WH, too.

If it is crowded it will easily grow up rather than out. I'm wondering
if that is why BB's is so large. Leggy, rather than an 18" clump? ~

They're leggy. The little bulbs at the base of the leaves are *REALLY*
stretched out and the leaves themselves are pretty darn big, too. A little
smaller than my fist. (Of course, since you don't know how bit my fist is,
that's a useless measurement. ) Each WH plant has only about 5-6
leaves on it. With another on the way, I might add.

--Bryan (who now wants a bigger pond and almost got a free, used hot tub
offa Craig's list for it....)

Old 18-06-2006, 08:56 PM posted to rec.ponds
Köi-Lö

SInce your asking for such a specific time then the answer is 15
hours, 38 minutes and 11 seconds.......Can tell pomnding is an after
thought or you would have replaced the kit earlier than now, and you
certianly would not have left it in a place to get trashed. Your just
not cut out to be a ponder. I still think your related to Carol Gulley
and into telling lies just like she is, with 18 inch WH.........Are
you Carol Gulleys brother perhaps?

Bet you do not even know what PH stands for........and no its not
personal hygeine either. that only applies to Carol unless you are her
brother......

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 19:49:04 GMT, BB
wrote:

~ janj wrote in
:

Old 18-06-2006, 09:02 PM posted to rec.ponds
Köi-Lö

I still say your a liar.

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 19:52:53 GMT, BB
wrote:

~ janj wrote in
:

Old 18-06-2006, 09:03 PM posted to rec.ponds
Köi-Lö

Dam BB gets so excited over telling a lie about 18 inch WH. I wonder
what he acts like when he gets a little tail .......LOL

Old 19-06-2006, 12:44 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

Ok, I probably should have been a little clearer. I meant, how long
before I really start to notice a difference in the algae. (I think I'm
seeing a difference today, but not sure.) Bryan

Every pond is different. pH can play a part, if it is too high or too low,
water hyacinth can't take up the nutrients as well (and sometimes not at
all, thus they fail to thrive.) ~ jan