Old 19-08-2006, 07:25 AM posted to rec.ponds

Default New Ponder ?'s

On 18 Aug 2006 20:43:58 -0700, "Mike" wrote:

Thanks for the info, Jan. Fell into this with no preparation, as I
guess is obvious...but I try to learn fast. Yes to both, it
recirculates constantly, and gets a hundred or so gallons of new spring
water every hour or two that flows through. The coastal temps here in
Oregon don't fluctuate much, but undoubtedly the pond will drop below
62 this coming winter. "Everybody" (the guy I bought them from) says
koi can survive ice on their pond as long as you make a hole in it for
them to breathe through, and since that most likely won't happen here,
I'm hoping for the best, living in a fools paradise ;0)
Seriously, I'll get a thermometer and start checking the temps through
the winter and see what's what.
Happy Ponding,
Mike

Yes, winter won't be a problem in your area. I'm in Zone 7a. SE Washington.

I would like to know what the temp currently is, so let me know when you
get the thermometer. :-) ~ jan
-----------------

Also ponding troll free at:
http://groups.google.com/group/The-Freshwater-Aquarium
Old 20-08-2006, 09:26 PM
Registered User

Location: Belfast, N Ireland

Personally I would not put anything other than native fish in a flow through pond unless I was sure that the overflow along with escaping fish and fry would not reach a natural water course. Aside from any moral considerations it may also be illegal, the establishment of a goldfish or koi colony in a natural water can be a disaster for native fish.
Old 22-08-2006, 06:16 AM posted to rec.ponds

sean mckinney wrote:
Personally I would not put anything other than native fish in a flow
through pond unless I was sure that the overflow along with escaping
fish and fry would not reach a natural water course. Aside from any
moral considerations it may also be illegal, the establishment of a
goldfish or koi colony in a natural water can be a disaster for native
fish.

Good point, Sean. I live across the highway from the ocean, however,
and any escapees would have to adapt to sal****er really quick. I must
admit originally I hadn't even thought about fish getting washed out of
the pond- wasn't thinking about tiny fry- and again, I do appreciate
your comment.
I guess even in a recirculating pond, fish could somehow get picked up
by a bird and dropped into a natural water course. That must be why
itīs illegal to keep piranhas in this country!
BTW, I had considered putting trout into the pond, but wasn't sure
they'd survive. Wonder how they'd get along with koi if I decided to
try it?
Mike

--
sean mckinney

Old 22-08-2006, 10:44 AM
Registered User

Location: Belfast, N Ireland

You and I are in the same boat then, infact my ponds are semi raised to avoid sal****er flooding at extrememly high tides.

Re trout, I have trout in my pond but it is well planted and there must be a lot of natural food in there ie insect larvae. They require a 'special' diet, high protein I believe, and I did buy high protien food but the trout wont touch it, fortunately the goldfish like it. I am told trout need cold water and well aerated water and my fish pond, where the trout is/are, is certainly the coolest pond I have. I put a couple of fingerling trout in to eat goldfish fry and they seem to do that quite well. That said realistically I think my fish pond is pushing the lower limit in terms of suitable size. Trout also defend a territory and I think several of my goldfish carry the scars to show where they incurred a trout's 'displeasure', I have certainly seen at least one scale detached in a "oi, clear off, this is my space" reminder
Old 22-08-2006, 02:15 PM posted to rec.ponds

Mike wrote:

sean mckinney wrote:
Personally I would not put anything other than native fish in a flow
through pond unless I was sure that the overflow along with escaping
fish and fry would not reach a natural water course. Aside from any
moral considerations it may also be illegal, the establishment of a
goldfish or koi colony in a natural water can be a disaster for native
fish.

Good point, Sean. I live across the highway from the ocean, however,
and any escapees would have to adapt to sal****er really quick.

Wow. Your pond just keeps sounding better and better!

I guess even in a recirculating pond, fish could somehow get picked up
by a bird and dropped into a natural water course. That must be why
itīs illegal to keep piranhas in this country!

That's actually why it's illegal to keep goldfish in some places. Piranhas
are generally only banned in tropical climates or places where politicians
bow to fear-mongering. :-) Fish don't so often get picked up and dropped,
but eggs seem to.

BTW, I had considered putting trout into the pond, but wasn't sure
they'd survive. Wonder how they'd get along with koi if I decided to
try it?

I doubt you'd ever have koi fry :-)
--
derek

Old 24-08-2006, 09:16 PM posted to rec.ponds

~ janj wrote:
I would like to know what the temp currently is, so let me know when you
get the thermometer. :-) ~ jan
-----------------

Also ponding troll free at:
http://groups.google.com/group/The-Freshwater-Aquarium

Hi Jan,
Got the thermometer yesterday, pond temp (near the surface) was about
68° at the end of a sunny day yesterday, was 65° this morning.

Mike

Old 25-08-2006, 06:40 AM posted to rec.ponds

Hi Jan,
Got the thermometer yesterday, pond temp (near the surface) was about
68° at the end of a sunny day yesterday, was 65° this morning.
Mike

Not bad for a system that is getting a couple hundred gallon water
change/day. ~ jan
-----------------

Old 26-08-2006, 02:23 AM
Registered User

Mike your pond is gorgeous and you are fortunate to be able to replace 800 gallons a day. My suggestion is that you wait to add more fish. See if you become addicted to the Koi as many of us Koi keepers do. If you do, you will most likely want to fill the pond with Koi. Also remember to quarantine all new fish before adding to the pond. There are nasty parasite, and KHV. You might want to google KHV as there is a special quarantine that involves making sure the water is heated to bring out the disease. Good luck with your pond. You did very well.

Old 27-08-2006, 12:51 AM posted to rec.ponds

Koitoy wrote:
Mike your pond is gorgeous and you are fortunate to be able to replace
800 gallons a day. My suggestion is that you wait to add more fish.
See if you become addicted to the Koi as many of us Koi keepers do. If
you do, you will most likely want to fill the pond with Koi. Also
remember to quarantine all new fish before adding to the pond. There
are nasty parasite, and KHV. You might want to google KHV as there is
a special quarantine that involves making sure the water is heated to
bring out the disease. Good luck with your pond. You did very well.

Thank you for the kind words and suggestions. I've been reading koi
keeping stuff off the web all afternoon, and learning how much I have
to learn about these cool little fish. The one thing I keep seeing is
the importance of water quality, and I do indeed feel very fortunate
(as do my fish) to have lots of good clean chlorine-free spring water
to offer them. Now if I can just keep my room-mate from jumping in...

Mike

--
Koitoy

New Ponder Pondering Pond Care RVentura Ponds (moderated) 11 18-07-2008 12:23 AM
Water chemistry, new pond, new ponder Oxymel of Squill Ponds 5 09-09-2004 11:04 PM
Water chemistry, new pond, new ponder Rob Ponds 3 09-09-2004 12:37 AM
New Ponder Bonnie Espenshade Ponds 1 01-07-2003 07:20 PM
OT things to ponder KenCo Ponds 2 01-02-2003 01:22 PM