Old 26-06-2003, 01:56 PM
BenignVanilla

Default I have Angered the Pond Gods

Monday, I was working on the pond...yeah yeah I know Bonnie, but you know I
could not stay away. My 3 year old and I were setting out some new rocks. I
stood up to close to a pine tree and got a needle in my cornea. One trip to
the ER, and two days of lieing on the couch, but I am back. Then
yesterday...I found a dead bird in the pond.

What have I done to anger you, oh great pond god in the sky!?!?!?

--
BenignVanilla
Pond Site: www.darofamily.com/jeff/links/mypond

Old 26-06-2003, 02:45 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

BenignVanilla wrote:
Monday, I was working on the pond...yeah yeah I know Bonnie, but you know I
could not stay away. My 3 year old and I were setting out some new rocks. I
stood up to close to a pine tree and got a needle in my cornea. One trip to
the ER, and two days of lieing on the couch, but I am back. Then
yesterday...I found a dead bird in the pond.

What have I done to anger you, oh great pond god in the sky!?!?!?

--
BenignVanilla
Pond Site: www.darofamily.com/jeff/links/mypond
Remove MYFRONTALLOBE to email me.

I hope your eye mends quickly. The bird isn't an omen, just
something that can happen. I have noticed the birds like to
drink from the waterfall or the basin at my pond. The sound
of the water seems to draw them. Do you have a safe area
for them at your pond or are you trying to keep them away?

Lately a chipmunk has taken to drinking from a trickle tower
in the veggie filter. I believe he thinks it is his own
private drinking fountain.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 26-06-2003, 03:08 PM
Steve and Lisa

I found a dead English Sparrow in our pond on Tuesday of this week. Birds
have been drinking from it as the temps this week are nearing 90F/32C. This
is the first bird, though three shrews used it to commit suicide in early
May. I've wondered if our chippies have been drinking from it or the
bunnies, but have yet to see them. Not sure why the bird fell in unless he
tried to perch on a plant.

Lisa
"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...

Old 26-06-2003, 03:08 PM
BenignVanilla

"Bonnie Espenshade" wrote in message
snip
I hope your eye mends quickly. The bird isn't an omen, just
something that can happen. I have noticed the birds like to
drink from the waterfall or the basin at my pond. The sound
of the water seems to draw them. Do you have a safe area
for them at your pond or are you trying to keep them away?

snip

In 4 or 5 days my eye should be perfectly healed! Thanks for the wishes! As
for the bird, I have some shallow areas that are quite safe. This tweety was
in the deep area.

BV.

Old 26-06-2003, 03:32 PM
K30a

It seems like some birds get in to drink or bathe in a spot that isn't as
shallow as they though it was, they get their wings too wet to be able to get
out again. Bullfrogs will also strike at a bird, try and eat it but fail and
leave the bird in the water.
And finally, this happened the other day, while DH and I were pond sitting. All
of a sudden a 'hunk' of bird fell out of the sky and into the pond! I went to
get the net and the fish beat me too it. (shudder). We figure a hawk lost part
of his meal in flight.

Heal up fast, BV!

k30a

Old 26-06-2003, 03:56 PM
Priscilla McCullough

I got a bird bath right by the pond and keep it freshly filled. Birds are
always in their bath. The pond is netted so they can't get there, although a
friend of mine netted hers and always gets birds caught in it. She won't buy
a dern birdbath. I guess I'm go have to buy one for her and take over there
just so she don't kill anymore birds in her net.
Priss

Old 26-06-2003, 04:08 PM
K30a

make that 'chunk' of a bird fell from the
sky. (never seen a bird 'hunk'). That's what
I get for reading rec.ponds at 6.30am

k30a
Old 26-06-2003, 04:56 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Priscilla McCullough wrote:
I got a bird bath right by the pond and keep it freshly filled. Birds are
always in their bath. The pond is netted so they can't get there, although a
friend of mine netted hers and always gets birds caught in it. She won't buy
a dern birdbath. I guess I'm go have to buy one for her and take over there
just so she don't kill anymore birds in her net.
Priss

I have two bird baths - the birds seem to prefer
the pond area - only a few use the bird baths.

Old 26-06-2003, 06:32 PM
zookeeper

BenignVanilla wrote:
Monday, I was working on the pond...yeah yeah I know Bonnie, but you know I
could not stay away ... got a needle in my cornea ...

What have I done to anger you, oh great pond god in the sky!?!?!?

What have you done? Why you were messing about the pond again after you
promised you wouldn't!! ;-) just kidding, I know how easy it is -- I go
out to feed the fish, then I start moving plants around, then I decide
I'm going to try vacuuming that little bit of muck over there, then I'm
drawing down the water so I can get to that little bit of muck without
bending over the pond edge, then ...

And so it goes ...
--
Happy ponding!
zookeeper

Old 26-06-2003, 06:32 PM
rtk

Bonnie Espenshade wrote:
. Then
yesterday...I found a dead bird in the pond.

What have I done to anger you, oh great pond god in the sky!?!?!?

The bird had to die somewhere. Just think of all the birds that died
that day and just one happened to keel over in your pond. Actually,
that would have freaked me out no matter how well it fit into the
statistics of birds dropping dead out of the sky into my pond. It's not
likely that it drowned. Of all birds, it's the grackles that are the
most fun to watch in the water. They're really wild, delightful
swimmers. But they're all fun to watch play and not pleasant to find
belly up.

Ruth Kazez

Old 26-06-2003, 06:44 PM
BenignVanilla

"zookeeper" wrote in message
BenignVanilla wrote:
Monday, I was working on the pond...yeah yeah I know Bonnie, but you

know I
could not stay away ... got a needle in my cornea ...

What have I done to anger you, oh great pond god in the sky!?!?!?

What have you done? Why you were messing about the pond again after you
promised you wouldn't!! ;-) just kidding, I know how easy it is -- I go
out to feed the fish, then I start moving plants around, then I decide
I'm going to try vacuuming that little bit of muck over there, then I'm
drawing down the water so I can get to that little bit of muck without
bending over the pond edge, then ...

If you check out the "Current Status" picture on my pond site,
http://darofamily.com/jeff/links/mypond/, you can see I have added a bunch
of rocks to the perimeter in a few places. We were tending to these piles,
when I got poked.

On a side note, my water is still orange, and I am NOT doing anything more
about that this season, by order of many family members. Also, when I took
this picture, my 3 year old had been "playing" with one of my hoses, and
drained some water from the pond. It is normally about 4 inches higher.

BV.

Old 27-06-2003, 03:20 AM

could have just dropped dead. maybe West Nile Virus. Ingrid

In 4 or 5 days my eye should be perfectly healed! Thanks for the wishes! As
for the bird, I have some shallow areas that are quite safe. This tweety was
in the deep area.

BV.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 27-06-2003, 01:56 PM
BenignVanilla

wrote in message
could have just dropped dead. maybe West Nile Virus. Ingrid

In 4 or 5 days my eye should be perfectly healed! Thanks for the wishes!

As
for the bird, I have some shallow areas that are quite safe. This tweety

was
in the deep area.

That was one concern, but my county is no longer collecting dead birds.
Apparently they have resigned themselves to the fact that WN is here.

BV.

Old 28-06-2003, 07:32 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 08:50:17 -0400, "BenignVanilla" wrote:

Monday, I was working on the pond...yeah yeah I know Bonnie, but you know I
could not stay away. My 3 year old and I were setting out some new rocks. I
stood up to close to a pine tree and got a needle in my cornea.

OMG!!!!!!!!! Ouch!!!! I'm so sorry, nothing much worst, glad it will heal
quickly, but.... "Do you get to wear a cool black patch, and be our pond
pirate?"

Then yesterday...I found a dead bird in the pond.

What have I done to anger you, oh great pond god in the sky!?!?!?

There's the mistake, there are no pond gods, only pond goddesses and pond
fairies.... and then there are a few snippy assuming humans who are called
pond divas, I usually fall under that category. ;o) ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 30-06-2003, 02:32 PM
BenignVanilla

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 08:50:17 -0400, "BenignVanilla" wrote:

Monday, I was working on the pond...yeah yeah I know Bonnie, but you know

could not stay away. My 3 year old and I were setting out some new rocks.

stood up to close to a pine tree and got a needle in my cornea.

OMG!!!!!!!!! Ouch!!!! I'm so sorry, nothing much worst, glad it will heal
quickly, but.... "Do you get to wear a cool black patch, and be our pond
pirate?"

I couldn't find one but that didn't stop me from walking around saying
"Arghhhh"

Then yesterday...I found a dead bird in the pond.

What have I done to anger you, oh great pond god in the sky!?!?!?

There's the mistake, there are no pond gods, only pond goddesses and pond
fairies.... and then there are a few snippy assuming humans who are called
pond divas, I usually fall under that category. ;o) ~ jan

Thanks for your reply, your highness.

BV.