Old 10-07-2003, 04:07 PM
John Hines

Default BV - Fix your Email

"BenignVanilla" m
wrote:

BTW, I'd love to see the posts you said you mailed, but I don't see your
email in my inbox.

Please fix your email system. People in this group are going out of
their way to un-mung your address, and not getting through. This isn't
the first case, I got bit by this also.

Your anti-spam system is broke, please fix it.

I've noticed that most spammers don't pick up on the reply to header,
take a look at my headers here.
Old 10-07-2003, 04:45 PM
BenignVanilla

"John Hines" wrote in message
news
"BenignVanilla" m
wrote:

BTW, I'd love to see the posts you said you mailed, but I don't see your
email in my inbox.

Please fix your email system. People in this group are going out of
their way to un-mung your address, and not getting through. This isn't
the first case, I got bit by this also.

Your anti-spam system is broke, please fix it.

I've noticed that most spammers don't pick up on the reply to header,
take a look at my headers here.

John, I disagree. I use my BV address only for Usenet, and since I started
using the inserted gibberish, the amount of SPAM I receive has plummeted.
Simply removing the obvious wording from my address will allow the mail to
reach me. Besides, this is a very common Usenet practice, so I do not think
it is too much of a big deal.

I understand this can be a nuisance, so I do not expect anyone to go out of
their way to do it, if it is too much. I have 10's of messages in my box now
from fellow rec.ponders. I am not sure why I did not receive Greg's. That is
to be determined.

BV.

Old 10-07-2003, 06:23 PM
John Hines

"BenignVanilla" m
wrote:

"John Hines" wrote in message
news
"BenignVanilla" m
wrote:

BTW, I'd love to see the posts you said you mailed, but I don't see your
email in my inbox.

Please fix your email system. People in this group are going out of
their way to un-mung your address, and not getting through. This isn't
the first case, I got bit by this also.

Your anti-spam system is broke, please fix it.

I've noticed that most spammers don't pick up on the reply to header,
take a look at my headers here.

John, I disagree. I use my BV address only for Usenet, and since I started
using the inserted gibberish, the amount of SPAM I receive has plummeted.
Simply removing the obvious wording from my address will allow the mail to
reach me. Besides, this is a very common Usenet practice, so I do not think
it is too much of a big deal.

It just breaks the usefulness of decent software. One klick or key is
all that should be needed to reply, and has been for a long time.

I understand this can be a nuisance, so I do not expect anyone to go out of
their way to do it, if it is too much. I have 10's of messages in my box now
from fellow rec.ponders. I am not sure why I did not receive Greg's. That is
to be determined.

Again, IF IT WORKED when people bother to use it.

And I'm pointing out that greg isn't the only that has had problems.
Old 10-07-2003, 06:31 PM
John Hines

"BenignVanilla" m
wrote:

"John Hines" wrote in message
news

Old 10-07-2003, 07:24 PM
BenignVanilla

"John Hines" wrote in message
snip
And I'm pointing out that greg isn't the only that has had problems.

Do you mean others have had problems sending to me? I don't understand.
Anyway, I don't feel so strongly about this, that I would want to argue
either side. If others feel the anti-SPAM content is a pain, I'll happily
remove it from my email address settings. In fact, consider it done...just
give me a few days to remember to do it on all of my PC's.

BV.

Old 10-07-2003, 07:58 PM
joe

BenignVanilla wrote:

Do you mean others have had problems sending to me? I don't understand.
Anyway, I don't feel so strongly about this, that I would want to argue
either side. If others feel the anti-SPAM content is a pain, I'll happily
remove it from my email address settings. In fact, consider it done...just
give me a few days to remember to do it on all of my PC's.

Here's what I do, YMMV.

For every person (or group of people) I want to receive mail from I set up a
"rule" in my email program. The rule simply states, when you get a message
from this person (a specific email address) place the email in this folder.

So, when an email arrives, the program checks through the rules. If it finds
an applicable rule it moves the message, otherwise it puts it in a "look
then dump" folder.

This way, I know when an email is something I want to read, and very much
reduces the list of emails I have to look through to be sure I'm not missing
someone important (like this morning I got an email from Sue Alexander,
that was in my look and then dump folder because there was no rule for her.
So I made one that will now place any message from her in my pond folder)

I have other rules that automatically put stuff in the trash from people or
organizations I know I don't want to hear from.

Still, every morning I have to look at about 100 emails - but better than
1000.

Joe

Old 10-07-2003, 07:58 PM
Sue Alexandre

Good idea - I should set aside some time to do the same - my SPAM e-mail is
totally out of control, and I'm sure I'm deleting some mail that I WANT to
read simply because I'm so hurriedly "deleting" everything that looks like
SPAM. And by the way, I'm honored to now be a "rule" in your mailbox.

Sue

Old 10-07-2003, 08:20 PM
John Rutz

BenignVanilla wrote:
"John Hines" wrote in message
snip

And I'm pointing out that greg isn't the only that has had problems.

Do you mean others have had problems sending to me? I don't understand.
Anyway, I don't feel so strongly about this, that I would want to argue
either side. If others feel the anti-SPAM content is a pain, I'll happily
remove it from my email address settings. In fact, consider it done...just
give me a few days to remember to do it on all of my PC's.

BV.

-- na dont since i put it in mine spam email has gone way down
I get cought by those anti spame when I hit the reply button with out
looking at the return addy so I just resend no big deal

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

never miss a good oportunity to shut up

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 10-07-2003, 08:20 PM
John Hines

"BenignVanilla" m
wrote:

"John Hines" wrote in message
snip
And I'm pointing out that greg isn't the only that has had problems.

Do you mean others have had problems sending to me? I don't understand.
Anyway, I don't feel so strongly about this, that I would want to argue
either side. If others feel the anti-SPAM content is a pain, I'll happily
remove it from my email address settings. In fact, consider it done...just
give me a few days to remember to do it on all of my PC's.

I've had trouble, so has greg. I don't know how much more evidence of
missing email you'll find.

Actually, what I recommend is to keep what you got, but add a reply to
header. Historically, people have often read news from accounts other
than their main account. Thus there is a special header that tells the
news reader to send email there, rather than the news account, if it is
set (otherwise it defaults).

For example, look at my header(s). the news addy is jbhines at newsguy,
which gets NOTHING but spam. My main addy is john at jhines dot org,
which is my main email addy. This addy gets like 1% of the spam that the
other one gets. And that is with no munging or other spam protection,
other than dumping stuff that isn't actually addressed (IE used the bcc
header) to me.

You use MS OE which kinda ignores what was found to have worked in the
almost decade of use people had before MS discovered usenet. The reply
to header seems to be ignored by most spammers. I don't use OE my self,
so I can't help you with it, but it should be able to show, and set
headers.

Old 10-07-2003, 08:49 PM
BenignVanilla

"joe" wrote in message
BenignVanilla wrote:

Do you mean others have had problems sending to me? I don't understand.
Anyway, I don't feel so strongly about this, that I would want to argue
either side. If others feel the anti-SPAM content is a pain, I'll

happily
remove it from my email address settings. In fact, consider it

done...just
give me a few days to remember to do it on all of my PC's.

Here's what I do, YMMV.

For every person (or group of people) I want to receive mail from I set up

"rule" in my email program. The rule simply states, when you get a message
from this person (a specific email address) place the email in this

folder.
snip

I have often considered this but feared all of the work needed to get all of
my friends set up with rules. I guess it is time for my main accounts.
Unfortunately, my BV account is checked either on my laptop via OE or via a
webmail app, as I only use this account for usenet. I guess it's time to
move it to my Outlook machine.

BV.

Old 10-07-2003, 09:09 PM
joe

BenignVanilla wrote:

I have often considered this but feared all of the work needed to get all of
my friends set up with rules

It's not so bad. Do it when you receive an email from them rather than all
at once. You'll be done in no time, plus you don't have to worry that you
missed an email from someone important.

Joe

Old 10-07-2003, 09:09 PM
joe

Sue Alexandre wrote:

And by the way, I'm honored to now be a "rule" in your mailbox.

Sue

Ah, shucks.

Joe

Old 10-07-2003, 09:47 PM
John Rutz

hate to tell you this John your from and reply to addys are the same

John Hines wrote:
"BenignVanilla" m
wrote:

snip