Old 14-07-2003, 04:26 PM
BenignVanilla

Default New Fish

My bro-in-law has a friend that is moving, and is adopting her fish out, I
guess because she does not trust the new owners. He brought some over for me
yesterday. They were in a bucket and all were gasping. I grabbed a 33 gallon
rubbermaid, and filled it with pond water, and we moved them over. They
immediately relaxed. My water is well aerated, so I assume this was a big
help to them.

I took a few out and examined them. All seemed healthy to the eye. Scales
had nice coloring, and none were missing nor damaged. All fins were intact,
and undamaged. No sins of parasites, nor ich. The gill areas seemed clean
and healthy. I did not peer inside the gills as I was not sure how to do
this safely. The few that he gave me are now in my pond, and swimming
happily. One GF is nearly the size of a football!!! I have never seen a GF
so big. The others have now begun following him around the pond. The Koi
looked p*ssed and are sulking in the corner.

I also got some water lettuce from them. What an awesome looking plant!

--
BenignVanilla
Pond Site: www.darofamily.com/jeff/links/mypond

Old 14-07-2003, 08:52 PM
Bern Muller

"BenignVanilla" wrote in message

happily. One GF is nearly the size of a football!!! I have never seen a GF
so big.

Amazing! Can you post a picture?

The others have now begun following him around the pond. The Koi
looked p*ssed and are sulking in the corner.

How big are the koi? I suppose I'd be p*ssed too if a sumo wrestler moved
onto the block.

Old 14-07-2003, 08:52 PM
BenignVanilla

"Bern Muller" wrote in message

"BenignVanilla" wrote in message

happily. One GF is nearly the size of a football!!! I have never seen a

GF
so big.

Amazing! Can you post a picture?

I'll try. I am not sure if I will be home tonight, in time to take a
picture.

The others have now begun following him around the pond. The Koi
looked p*ssed and are sulking in the corner.

How big are the koi? I suppose I'd be p*ssed too if a sumo wrestler moved
onto the block.

They're small, maybe 4-6 inches long. They are PetSmart $4 specials.

BV.

Old 15-07-2003, 06:05 PM

tsk, tsk ... no quarantine? you gotta get a 100 gallon rubbermaid and have it always
set up waiting for this kind of contingency. Ingrid

"BenignVanilla" wrote:

[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 15-07-2003, 07:23 PM
BenignVanilla

wrote in message
tsk, tsk ... no quarantine? you gotta get a 100 gallon rubbermaid and

have it always
set up waiting for this kind of contingency. Ingrid

snip

Wow! Ingrid, I was really expecting you to slap my knuckles faster then
that! *Laugh* I am taking a chance. I know that, but right now I don't have
the equipment/space/manpower to manage a quarantine tank. Flame away.

BV.

Old 16-07-2003, 06:20 AM
RichToyBox

First, I use a minnow seine to round them up into a smaller area that I can
handle. Then I use a large, about 24 inch diameter koi net to bring them to
the surface for the sock net. If the fish is over 24 inches, it is very
easy to guide it about anywhere you want. 18 to 24 inch fish are a little
faster and still have some flight programming in them, and sometimes they do
what you want, and sometimes they jump. 12 to 18 inch fish are faster still
and have a significant amount of flight programming, and they usually jump,
you just need to have the net where they jump, i.e. be a good baseball
catcher. Under 12 inch, good luck.
--
RichToyBox

"*muffin*" wrote in message
wwellllllllll,
not only that..........

but if you cannot catch the fish,, the quarantine tank is useless except

for
new fish.

ok, how do yOU , who can. catch your fish????

Old 16-07-2003, 06:20 AM
FBCS

Do you put a pump and filter in this 100 gal rubermaid (newbe here trying to
learn). I normally just put them in the pond after a half hour in the water
bagged. Joann

"BenignVanilla" wrote:

[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 17-07-2003, 03:43 AM
RichToyBox

It is a very good idea to have a quarantine system, and the more expensive
the fish in your pond the more important it becomes, but...
More fish are killed in quarantine than are cured, because the quarantine
system has poorer water than the pond. A working filter is a must to keep
the ammonia and nitrites down. Too many people keep a small quarantine tank
in the garage, with no water, no filter, and fire it up when they get new
fish. It has to go through the cycle, if they fire up a filter, and because
of the small size it becomes very toxic, very quickly. The quarantine
system should have better water in it than the water in the pond. You are
trying to get them over the stress of catching, bagging, transporting, etc.,
and they need good water for that. The quarantine system allows for
treatment of fish in a small amount of water so that you are not having to
buy chemicals to treat the big pond. It also does not have all the plant
pots, and other obstructions that hinder catching. You can observe the fish
to see that nothing is wrong much easier, also.
--
RichToyBox

"BenignVanilla" wrote:

[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 17-07-2003, 05:29 AM

1. at night with a flashlight. 2 people, net is black. one herds the fish SLOWLY
towards the stationary net.
2. drain the pond down until you can get to it.
3. Jo Ann and Steve use a 3' wide and deep black net. they herd the fish towards
this net and then use a koi sock to pick the fish up.
Ingrid

"*muffin*" wrote:
wwellllllllll,
not only that..........

but if you cannot catch the fish,, the quarantine tank is useless except for
new fish.

ok, how do yOU , who can. catch your fish????

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 17-07-2003, 07:52 PM

ABSOLUTELY. quarantine tanks should be as big as possible. mostly people stick sick
GF into 10 gallon "hospital" tank, I tell em to use a 40 gallon tub instead. But I
have had good luck with a 100 gallon stock tank, net, a 5 gallon bucket filter and
good aeration. I put it in the shade. anyone with well water can do a run thru
system, just drip water in one side, make a small hole on the other end (up high).
Ingrid

"RichToyBox" wrote:
[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List