Old 13-11-2003, 12:42 AM
Theo van Daele

Default Do you feed fish during Indian Summer?

Don't really want to argue about this, been to York last year (Elvington),
and I know that the UK has a great tradition on ponds/gardens ! :-)

Just didn't understand the "US/UK" bit.

Theo

"Mouse" schreef in bericht
. ..
Where I live in Yorkshire, almost all villages have a pond that has been
there for many hundreds of years, some of these are quite small, and even
dry up in the summer season. Many other small ponds / pools were formed by
the Romans, and later Monks specifically for keeping fish for food. These
would all be referred to as natural ponds, because of the habitat and
wildlife that they attract and support. Size and volume of water would not
enter into the equation
Mouse

Old 13-11-2003, 09:12 AM
Mouse

As I am sure you have noticed many words and phrases have different
meanings.
Here we have back gardens, Americans have yards, American cars have
trunks,ours have boots etc,etc,etc. This often leads to misunderstandings. I
noticed it particularly when visiting relatives in NY. I also discovered
that not all Americans say "have a nice day", a popular misconception in the
UK. :-)
BTW, I live in Driffield, about 20minutes drive from Elvington, hope you
liked it here.
Mouse

"Theo van Daele" wrote in message
[...]

---

Old 14-11-2003, 11:12 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 09:06:14 -0000, "Mouse"
wrote:

I also discovered that not all Americans say "have a nice day",
a popular misconception in the UK. :-)

) That depends on when you visited. This is a very old phase from the
80's when the masses did use this term and it peaked.

In the US our clickie phases are always changing. One of the latest is
*My bad* (My mistake) *Bring it* rather than Bring it On is another. I'm
sure there are others, but my brain is on lukewarm today. Maybe other USers
can think of them, or perhaps there is a website. ;o)

The biggest misconception foreigns have regarding the US, imo. Is having
any conception about us at all. We're just as likely to stand behind you in
some line, overhearding you talk to family members and than go home and use
your same language w/accent to talk to our family members. Why we're called
the melting pot, we claim traditions, but never let them claim us.... at
least not for long. ;o) ~ jan

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 15-11-2003, 12:02 AM
Theo van Daele

the melting pot

Very very true Jan. You are only say 250 to 300 million, give or take,
from only say 5 continents ;-) so you must all be rather the same :-p

My post about the language bit was tongue in cheek, just because of this.
Even in the UK, there are so many different ways of saying things, depending
on where one lives, the younger generations even using txtsp3ak. Gobsmacking
as it were...

Oh and yes Mouse, York was beautiful when I was there. I was a bit miffed
(is that UK or US ? ) about why I was thrown out of the bar at 10 PM
though, but to each their own, and when in Rome... ;-)

Elvington was great, we were at the (ex?) airfield for looning around in our
cars. Small world or what ! :-) For me the UK is petrol head heaven...

Bugger (is that US or UK ? ;-) ) I'm off topic again.

Blimey then ?

I'll shut up now :-)

Theo

"~ jan JJsPond.us" schreef in bericht

Old 15-11-2003, 12:02 AM
Mouse

wrote:

[...]

Only visited NY as my wife has relatives there that are decedents from the
early Norwegian immigrants that entered through Ellis Island. I must admit
that my conception of NY was from films we see on TV. What a pleasant
surprise to find out it was nothing like the films, and the people truly
wonderful. When they came to visit the UK and we took them to see a real
castle (of the knights in shining armour variety), they told us they had
always thought they only existed in films. :-)
Mouse

---

Old 15-11-2003, 02:22 AM
BenignVanilla

"Theo van Daele" wrote in message
Ingrid,

FWIW, I agree.

We should never look at our ponds as something "close to nature".

Unless we have a pond like Sam has (meaning multiple thousands of gallons
per fish), our ponds are not and will never be a "nature" thing.

We can all avoid desillusion taking that little fact into account :-)

snip

I think I disagree, although I have not thought this through. Clearly, a
2000 gallon pond is not a lake, but surely, we can create microcosm of this
great macrocosm that we live in?

BV.

Old 15-11-2003, 02:32 AM
BenignVanilla

wrote:

I also discovered that not all Americans say "have a nice day",
a popular misconception in the UK. :-)

) That depends on when you visited. This is a very old phase from the
80's when the masses did use this term and it peaked.

In the US our clickie phases are always changing. One of the latest is
*My bad* (My mistake) *Bring it* rather than Bring it On is another. I'm
sure there are others, but my brain is on lukewarm today. Maybe other

USers
can think of them, or perhaps there is a website. ;o)

snip

I still say Dude, is that still cool?

BV.

Old 15-11-2003, 06:12 AM
THE Old Man

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 23:42:15 GMT, "Theo van Daele"
wrote:

[...]

I live in Mississippi and have been here since about 1958, with a few
short excursions outside the state. Most of my life has been in
Louisiana, Texas, Alabama and Mississippi but I lived in Springfield,
Illinois for about 2 years. We were invited to homes often because of
our accent. The locals loved to hear us talk about sirens and police
.... sireeens and po-lease. And, of course, we did a lot of ma'ams and
y'alls. One lady from Ohio was giggling one evening and said "I think
it is so funny the way YOU'NS say y'all." Another term we use is TUMP
as in "did you tump the barrell over and let the water out?" One
night at a party my wife said she had tumped something over ... don't
recall just what... and a lady from across the room hurried over and
said "where are y'all from?". She was from Alabama and the word
"tump" caught her ear.

dd

ps: I do drive a pickup truck but I don't have a flag or hunting
rifle hanging in the truck's window.
Old 15-11-2003, 09:42 AM
Theo van Daele

I think I disagree, although I have not thought this through. Clearly, a
2000 gallon pond is not a lake, but surely, we can create microcosm of

this
great macrocosm that we live in?

We can mimic it IMHO, but it needs our constant attention to not let it
"evolve" into a stinking swamp...

Much depends on stocking levels of course, there are perfect examples of
ponds with just a few fish (no koi), ample oxygenating plants and other
plants, that survive without even being filtered (or fed !)

Even then, you can expect the occasional PH crash or low oxygen situation
causing all the fish to die. As they would in nature.

Most ponds need some human intervention (a pump, airpump, occasional
cleaning, water changes, netting) to make for continually happy fish.

Throw in one koi and things get a lot further from nature.

Nothing is ever 100% true, I realize that, there's a great story in Peter
Waddington's Koi Kichi where he has a very sick koi with holes in it,
ulcers, fins all shredded, a gonner. He throws it in a small pond in his
backyard (no filtration, no airpump) to let it die in peace. He then
forgets about it, and after 3 years he wants to drain that pond and clean it
out. First he finds a kid's bike, en then suddenly he sees something
moving... yup, that same koi, grown to 20 inches, no deformaties at all,
almost show quality...

He then continues to say we shouldn't stop our filters or throw bikes in our
pond ;-)

Theo

Old 15-11-2003, 12:42 PM
Cybe R. Wizard

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 15:03:49 -0800
~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:

Why we're called
the melting pot, we claim traditions, but never let them claim us

That's wunnerful, just wunnerful! Often we make /new/ traditions, too.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Unofficial "Wizard of Odds," A.H.P.
Original PORG "Water Wizard," R.P.

Old 15-11-2003, 12:42 PM
Cybe R. Wizard

wrote:

I also discovered that not all Americans say "have a nice day",
a popular misconception in the UK. :-)

) That depends on when you visited. This is a very old phase from
the
80's when the masses did use this term and it peaked.

In the US our clickie phases are always changing. One of the latest
is*My bad* (My mistake) *Bring it* rather than Bring it On is
another. I'm sure there are others, but my brain is on lukewarm
today. Maybe other

USers
can think of them, or perhaps there is a website. ;o)

snip

I still say Dude, is that still cool?

BV.

It is as long as you only mean poultry when you day, "chick."

Cybe R. Wizard
Old 15-11-2003, 06:22 PM
jr

I still say Dude, is that still cool?

BV.

so do we in the southwest but i think it has a different meaning ;-)

Old 15-11-2003, 10:04 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 23:42:15 GMT, "Theo van Daele" wrote:

the melting pot

Very very true Jan. You are only say 250 to 300 million, give or take,
from only say 5 continents ;-) so you must all be rather the same :-p

LOL, yeah, I was quite disappointed this fall to go from the north west
furthest most state of WA, besides Alaska, to the opposite corner SE to
Georgia and find very few had deep southern accents. Other than the weather
it wasn't much different than traveling to a nearby town of similar size.

miffed (is that UK or US ?

Not sure but,

Bugger & Blimey

Are definitely yours. ;o) ~ jan
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 15-11-2003, 11:22 PM
BenignVanilla

"Cybe R. Wizard" Cybe_R_Wizard@WizardsTower wrote in message
news:20031115074213.4a1bbed7.Cybe_R_Wizard@Wizards Tower...
snip
It is as long as you only mean poultry when you day, "chick."

snip

I hear ya...I remember when harass was two words. (*Hint, say it out loud).

BV.

Old 21-11-2003, 03:09 PM
animaux

So, if we keep the pond water 55 during the winter, we should feed as normal?

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 20:29:34 GMT, opined:

normally I didnt once the temp dropped to 55oF, but since the heater went in the temp
still hasnt dropped below 55. this is really working. I pulled all teh plants
yesterday. sigh. Ingrid

"D Kat" wrote:

The last week we had 3 days of what felt like HOT weather to me. Can you
or should you feed during periods like that?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.