Old 02-02-2004, 01:36 AM
Judi9000

Default Salt in a Nutshell

This is really basic, but can someone tell me how many CUPS of salt to add to a
300 gal pond?
Old 02-02-2004, 09:28 PM

roughly...
1/2 cup salt in 1 gallon = 3%, the concentration for a dip.
1/2 cup in 10 gallons = 0.3%
1/2 cup in 30 gallons = 0.1%
10 x 1/2 cup or 5 cups of the course rock salt used in water softeners will give you
about 0.1%
Ingrid

(Judi9000) wrote:

This is really basic, but can someone tell me how many CUPS of salt to add to a
300 gal pond?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 03-02-2004, 08:45 PM
Judi9000

5 cups of the course rock salt used in water softeners will give you
about 0.1%
Ingrid

Thanks!!! Judi

Old 06-02-2004, 03:45 PM
BenignVanilla

wrote in message
roughly...
1/2 cup salt in 1 gallon = 3%, the concentration for a dip.
1/2 cup in 10 gallons = 0.3%
1/2 cup in 30 gallons = 0.1%
10 x 1/2 cup or 5 cups of the course rock salt used in water softeners

will give you
about 0.1%

snip

Don't you mean a minimum of 0.1%? Does the OP know the current salinity of
the water?

BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 06-02-2004, 07:51 PM

she wasnt asking that. she was asking how many cups for 0.1%. and it is very
unlikely she already got such a high level that it would be toxic. I recommend
people use 0.05% overwinter and increase it in spring, then let it dilute out during
the year unless there are really heavy rains.
there is no down side to salt as a prevention and a stimulant to slime coat. even in
their padded pond, my fish scrape against the hanging lilly pots and this and that
when they come up in a feeding frenzy.
salt isnt anything like antibiotics. Ingrid

"BenignVanilla" wrote:
wrote in message
roughly...
1/2 cup salt in 1 gallon = 3%, the concentration for a dip.
1/2 cup in 10 gallons = 0.3%
1/2 cup in 30 gallons = 0.1%
10 x 1/2 cup or 5 cups of the course rock salt used in water softeners

will give you
about 0.1%

snip

Don't you mean a minimum of 0.1%? Does the OP know the current salinity of
the water?

BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 07-02-2004, 06:02 PM
Hal

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 09:39:14 -0500, "BenignVanilla"
wrote:

I am just going to toss my biased 2 cents in. You should add NONE unless you
are treating some condition and even then, you should know what you are
dealing with before you dose. I know penicillin kills a lot of stuff but I
don't take it every day just in case. IMHO, salting your pond is the same
concept.

USDA recommends 200 to 500 ppm as an indefinite (permanent) salinity.
It relieves osmotic stress and prevents nitrite toxicity. This level
does not directly treat diseases or parasites, but it may allow fish to
more easily fight off and prevent them. This level is 2-2/3 to 6-2/3
ounces per 100 gallons. For 800 gallons, it would be 1.3 to 3.4 pounds.
As you can see, the precise level isn't important, and these levels are
far below those that affect plants. Reference: Table 3 in USDA
"Calculating Treatments for Ponds"
http://ag.ansc.purdue.edu/aquanic/pu...srac/410fs.pdf
n Rod

Reference is probably old and out of date, but the idea is still alive
in some ponders.

Regards,

Hal
Old 08-02-2004, 05:39 AM
Tom La Bron

Hal,

First point, the USDA said nothing of recommending anything in this article.
Chemicals and meds used in Aquaculture are regulated by the EPA and FDA, and
the reason for this is because the article that you are citing deals with
food fish.

Second point. 200 to 500ppm is equal to .02 to 05% salt in the water. This
is next to nothing and there is not a device on the market that can read
that low accurately with out spending a big chuck of money. In fact most
devices read in parts per ton (ppt) and one ppt is equal 1000ppm. In
addition, most people have more than that in Total Dissolved Salts (TDS) in
their water systems all ready. Here in Pawnee TDS averages about 410ppm, in
Stillwater it is 4,750ppm and for the most part TDS are going to affect any
salt meter you are using.

Also the remark you made about nitrite is incorrect somewhat, because it is
not the salt that helps protect against nitrite poisoning it is the chloride
in the salt that does this because it competes for the absorption position
at the gills of the fish as they are taking up oxygen from the water, plus
the chloride in the has to be 20:1 higher to the nitrite and must be
adjusted continually as the nitrite increases in concentration. Also,
Calcium chloride could be used instead of Sodium Chloride to achieve this
concentration. One level of Chloride in the water is not going to protect
as the level of nitrite increases. The chloride level must be adjust all
the time.

Also I would like to point out that in the place that suggests an indefinite
concentration of salt at the level of 1,000-2,000ppm (0.1 - 0.2%) is for
"hauling tanks." This is when the supplier is transporting 450 fish in a
500gallong tank. The indefinite time they are talking about deals with the
duration of time the fish are in the transport tank going from point A to
point B. During the hauling period a very high level of air is being pumped
into the tank to supply all the oxygen the high stocking level and to help
off set the amount of toxic waste that is building up in the tank during
transport.

The third point is that this article is for aquaculture facilities that are
dealing with pounds of fish per gallon of water not one Goldfish per 10
gallons of water. There is no correlation between this article and your
garden pond where you are keeping one KOI per 100 gallons of water.

It has nothing to do with back yard ponds.

Oh, and by the BV remark is supported by research now, for now there are
parasites and bacteria that live better in salter environments requiring
higher levels to kill them because of the prophylactic use of salt in fish
environments.

HTH

Tom L.L.
wrote:

[...]

Salt In a Nutshell ~ jan[_3_] Ponds (moderated) 0 27-07-2009 11:46 AM
Tamarisk: origin of "salt cedar" Mike Lyle Plant Science 37 28-06-2003 12:21 PM
Rock Salt vs Pond Salt itten Ponds 1 18-05-2003 01:20 PM
adding salt Carola / Les Ponds 8 08-02-2003 11:54 PM
What is "Coarse Salt" used for? Ablang Gardening 3 29-01-2003 04:33 AM