Old 10-02-2004, 05:34 PM

Default Salt in a Nutshell

yes, of course the sodium chloride works better and is cheaper and more extensively
used. I wouldnt think of using stuff made for walks in the water my fish are in. The
kind of rock salt used for water softeners is for human consumption, dont get the
stuff sold for walks in that either. There should be sufficient calcium in the water
to act as a buffer, and better to use organic dolomitic limestone to bring calcium up
than calcium chloride. Dolomitic limestone has both calcium and magnesium, provides
a good buffer.
You are right, prophylactic efficacy of low levels of salt is in stimulating the
slime coat. It is much better for the fish to fix high nitrites with water changes!!
I tend to think of my small and overstocked pond as more similar to hauling tanks
than large clay bottom ponds where they are raised. Besides, most of the aquaculture
people like Dr. Ruth Floyd and Jo Ann Burke also recommend the low level salt for
ponds and fish tanks.
I am a microbiologist. If there are salt resistant bugs out there not using salt
isnt going to "force" them to revert to salt sensitive. It is like saying not using
an antibiotic is going to result in bacteria becoming sensitive again. Maybe in a
couple hundred years, but not in our lifetime, nor the lifetime of the fish. My fish
were raised in ponds where salt was used at low levels. My fish "come" with salt
resistant whatever and my not using salt isnt going to change that at all. In the
mean time my fish are healthier and more able to throw off problems because I add a
bit of salt to my otherwise salt free lake water.
wow. that is interesting about the San Diego water supply, but not that surprising.
Actually, with that amount of salt in the water already adding more is not really all
that necessary either. Ingrid

Hal wrote:
I didn't know that, but wouldn't the sodium chloride work as well as the
calcium chloride? I had a bag of calcium chloride once but I spread
it on the walk to melt the ice. It never occurred to me to use it in a
pond.
I don't see a relationship between the oxygen level and salt
concentration. I guessed the increased salt was to stimulate the slime
coat and help prevent swapping of parasites during the trip in such a
confined puddle. Is there another reason?
Yes, I read a couple things about that too and it sounds reasonable to
me. I hope my adding a bit of salt (.1%) every winter doesn't cause
such a condition in my pond, but I'm still learning and if it does I'll
have to deal with it when and if it happens. I believe it was someone
in the San Diego Koi Club that said they have a natural concentration of
about .04% salt in the water.
Hal

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 10-02-2004, 10:07 PM
Hal

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 16:43:43 GMT, wrote:

I am a microbiologist.

Yes Maam!
I know who you are and I am familiar with Pure Gold and I appreciate the
valued advice you share with all of us here.

Regards,

Hal

Old 11-02-2004, 01:17 AM
Tom La Bron

Ingrid,

Dr. Ruth Floyd has never suggested salt in back yard ponds or fish tanks. It
would be nice if you stopped putting words in to other peoples mouths.

Tom L.L.

Hal wrote:
[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 11-02-2004, 01:26 AM
Tom La Bron

Hal,

Ingrid is a microbiologist, but she has never done anything or published any
thing that has to do with microbiology and goldfish. She has only been
keeping Goldfish for about 8 years.

Tom L.L.

Old 11-02-2004, 10:03 PM
Hal

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 19:12:58 -0600, "Tom La Bron"
wrote:

Ingrid is a microbiologist, but she has never done anything or published any
thing that has to do with microbiology and goldfish. She has only been
keeping Goldfish for about 8 years.

Tom L.L.

That sounds a bit negative. I'm afraid you may have me confused with
someone else. I don't care what she hasn't done. She has been
helpful to me several times. I do agree with her theory on adding
salt to stimulate the growth of a slime coat on pond fish. I probably
picked the idea from a message from her to someone, but wherever it came
from the idea is mine now. I'm sorry if that bothers you. I can
surely understand if you don't wish to add salt to your pond, that will
be OK with me. I won't even consider it fish abuse, just a different
idea on fish keeping.

Regards,

Hal
Old 12-02-2004, 11:26 PM
Lee B.

OK, for all those who took exception to my math, I had a typo: it's 1 lb. of
salt in *12* gallons of water = 1% salinity. I've corrected my data sheet.
The sample math calculations ARE, however, correct.

Sorry for the delay in responding: my husband was back in the hospital again
and I was otherwise occupied.

Lee

"Lee B." wrote in message
For those that need to calculate the size of their pond using salt, or

need
to figure out how much to add:

Salt in a Nutshell

1 lb. of salt in 1 gallon of water = 1% salinity

1 lb. of salt in 100 gallons of water = .12%

(These are "generally accepted" numbers; if you want to "proof" the

numbers,
it goes like this: 1 lb. salt /100 gallons water (convert to metric) =

454
grams of salt / 378.5 liters of water = 454 grams of salt / 378,500 grams

of
water = 0.001199 ppm, or 0.12%)

If there is no salt reading in the pond:

# salt x 12 / % salinity = gallons of water

Example:

25 lbs salt x 12 = 300 / .3 (salinity) = 1000 gal.

If there is an existing salt reading:

R1 = Reading 1 (existing); R2 = Reading 2 (resultant)

# salt x 12 / (R2-R1) salinity = gallons of water

Example (Say the existing salt level was .15; after salt it was .3, so the
number we're looking for is .3 - .15 = .15):

50 lbs. salt x 12 = 600 / .15 = 4000 gallons

To get # salt needed with known gallons:

(desired % / 12) x gallons of water = # salt

Example (If you want to achieve a .2% of salt in a 1500 gallon pond):

.2/12 = .01666 x 1500 = 24.999 lbs. of salt (call it 25!)

Note: If there are salt levels already in the pond, remember to subtract

R1
from R2 to get your final reading; if you want a final reading of .2, but
the initial reading is .05, then the actual number you're looking for is

..15
(not .2)

I hope this helps.

Lee

Old 12-02-2004, 11:26 PM
Lee B.

"Lee B." wrote in message
[...]

Salt In a Nutshell ~ jan[_3_] Ponds (moderated) 0 27-07-2009 11:46 AM
Tamarisk: origin of "salt cedar" Mike Lyle Plant Science 37 28-06-2003 12:21 PM
Rock Salt vs Pond Salt itten Ponds 1 18-05-2003 01:20 PM
adding salt Carola / Les Ponds 8 08-02-2003 11:54 PM
What is "Coarse Salt" used for? Ablang Gardening 3 29-01-2003 04:33 AM