Old 03-05-2004, 03:06 PM
Benign Vanilla

Default The Great Lotus Race; Update May 03, 2004

The 4 foot deep lotus has nice stem up to the surface, and a nice big leaf
ready to unfurl. No further growth is noticeable yet. The 2 foot deep lotus
is tied with the 4 foot in growth and performance. A second tubor at 2 feet
deep is also getting ready to break the surface.

So far...tied IMHO.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 03-05-2004, 10:04 PM
pmwebdesigns

Are they hard to grow?
You got to have muddy water for these?
Priss

Old 03-05-2004, 10:06 PM
Benign Vanilla

"pmwebdesigns" wrote in message
Are they hard to grow?
You got to have muddy water for these?

snip

From my experience to date, Lotus seem to be pretty fool proof. Nedra
probably has the most experience with Lotus on the group, so she is the best
to ask. However, last year I took care of my lotus using every method you
shouldn't and they did very well. This year, I have one planted
"improperly", and two planted "properly". So far Nedra and are BOTH sitting
with our fingers crossed for a clear cut result one way or the other. Right
now, the plants are neck in neck so to speak.

Seems to me a few things about lotus...

1. Give the tubors room to grow. They grow mostly laterally, so a big pot,
or a round pot is best. Always plant near the edge of the pot so the tubor
can grow and follow the contour of the pot.

2. The growing tips are sensitive to damage, so be careful with them. The
tubors themselves are bullet proof.

3. Dogs love to chew on lotus tubors. I don't know if they toxic or not, but
they are apparently tastey. I have not personally confirmed.

4. Plant the tubors shallow. I have mine in 3-4 of muck/mud/dirt with a
small/light piece of slate to hold them down.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 03-05-2004, 11:05 PM
joe

Inches or feet? BTW BV, I sent you an email asking if you still were looking
for hyacinth.

Joe

Old 04-05-2004, 12:07 AM
grubber

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message

3. Dogs love to chew on lotus tubors. I don't know if they toxic or not,

but
they are apparently tastey. I have not personally confirmed.

"Lotus roots, seeds, and leaves of several Asian plants related to the water
lily, are used as food. The large seeds may be eaten raw, boiled, grilled
and also candied. The reddish-brown roots (more accurately, rhizomes) are
used as a vegetable, with a crisp texture and mild flavor. The leaves are
used as a vegetable and as a wrap for sweet and savory mixtures"

http://www.foodreference.com/html/flotusrootflower.html

Old 04-05-2004, 04:05 AM
Nedra

Thanks for the advertising, BV! lol
Anyway, to answer priss's question... lotus do not need anything
except plain ole water ... pond water is best ;-)
And No.. they are not hard to grow... in fact they are one of the easiest
plants I know of to grow. BV has pretty much outlined what is needed.
Just be Very Careful of
the growing point/s.

Nedra

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message

"pmwebdesigns" wrote in message
Are they hard to grow?
You got to have muddy water for these?

snip

From my experience to date, Lotus seem to be pretty fool proof. Nedra

Old 04-05-2004, 07:04 PM
Heather

Nedra - Is there a lotus that will perform in semi-shade? That is about 6
hours of direct sunlight a day from 9am to about 3pm???

Thanks,
Heather

"Nedra" wrote in message
ink.net...
Thanks for the advertising, BV! lol
Anyway, to answer priss's question... lotus do not need anything
except plain ole water ... pond water is best ;-)
And No.. they are not hard to grow... in fact they are one of the easiest
plants I know of to grow. BV has pretty much outlined what is needed.
Just be Very Careful of
the growing point/s.

Nedra

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message

"pmwebdesigns" wrote in message
Are they hard to grow?
You got to have muddy water for these?

snip

From my experience to date, Lotus seem to be pretty fool proof. Nedra

Old 04-05-2004, 08:10 PM
Nedra

That sounds like a good deal of sunlight, Heather. I think most any
and all lotus would be fine! Actually you could go
to any catalog and look up the lotuses .... there is a bunch to
choose from and each one is wonderful in its own way

Nedra

"Heather" wrote in message
. ..
Nedra - Is there a lotus that will perform in semi-shade? That is about

6
hours of direct sunlight a day from 9am to about 3pm???

Thanks,
Heather

"Nedra" wrote in message
ink.net...
Thanks for the advertising, BV! lol
Anyway, to answer priss's question... lotus do not need anything
except plain ole water ... pond water is best ;-)
And No.. they are not hard to grow... in fact they are one of the

easiest
plants I know of to grow. BV has pretty much outlined what is needed.
Just be Very Careful of
the growing point/s.

Nedra

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message

"pmwebdesigns" wrote in message
Are they hard to grow?
You got to have muddy water for these?
snip

From my experience to date, Lotus seem to be pretty fool proof. Nedra

Old 04-05-2004, 09:03 PM
Benign Vanilla

"joe" wrote in message
Inches or feet? BTW BV, I sent you an email asking if you still were

looking
for hyacinth.

My lotus are planted in 3-4 inches of mulm/mud. One plant is 4 feet down,
and started to unfirl a floater today. (Ya hear that Nedra?!?!?, The four
footer is opening first!!!!) And the other plant is 2 feet down in the same
3-4 inches of muck. Today my water is much clearer, so I can now see what
looks like 3 more tubors at the 2 foot depth sprouting.

BV.

P.S. Joe, I'll check my email now...

Old 04-05-2004, 09:04 PM
Benign Vanilla

"joe" wrote in message
Inches or feet? BTW BV, I sent you an email asking if you still were

looking
for hyacinth.

snip

No email came in...Did you REMOVEME from the email address? Either way, I am
interested.

--
BenignVanilla
www.iheartmypond.com

Do you want to supplement your income
with a stay at home job, AND help the
environment?

Check www.AMothersDream.com

Old 04-05-2004, 09:05 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Heather" wrote in message
. ..
Nedra - Is there a lotus that will perform in semi-shade? That is about

6
hours of direct sunlight a day from 9am to about 3pm???

snip

Mine live in exactly that environment. Actually they may even get a bit
less. I think I have Mrs. PDS's.

Old 04-05-2004, 10:05 PM
joe

Sent to

Just send me your address.

joe

Old 05-05-2004, 03:05 AM
Nedra

Oh Drat!! You know I'm just kidding, right BV? Actually
I was betting on the ones that are 2 feet down because of their
location. Humm ... what does this say about
"location, location, location" ? Now we'll see which one/s flower first?
I could really be out on a limb on this one! If the one that is
planted 4 feet down flowers first - that means that the ole saw
about planting lotus waaay up towards the surface is all wet ;-)

Nedra

Old 05-05-2004, 03:07 AM
Nedra

I really don't believe that my lotus get any more sun than that.
The Mrs. Perry D. Slocum is very easy to identify .... especially
when it comes to fragrance. It is the sweetest one I have.
Also, the MPDS changes color every day for three days...
from Pink to Pink & Cream to Cream. Stunning!

Nedra

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message

. ..

Old 05-05-2004, 03:18 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Nedra" wrote in message
ink.net...
Oh Drat!! You know I'm just kidding, right BV? Actually
I was betting on the ones that are 2 feet down because of their
location. Humm ... what does this say about
"location, location, location" ? Now we'll see which one/s flower first?
I could really be out on a limb on this one! If the one that is
planted 4 feet down flowers first - that means that the ole saw
about planting lotus waaay up towards the surface is all wet ;-)

snip

Now that I think about it, I wish I had planted a third tubor just a few
inches down. That would have been a great comparison. I think we're
learning, like everything in our ponds, nothing is 100%.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com