Old 18-06-2004, 11:07 PM
matrix j

Default Rec.ponds Roll Call?

Just wondering if rec.ponds ever does a roll call every now and then?

Just to see where everyone is from and what other interests and hobbies
they may have?

Old 18-06-2004, 11:07 PM
Newbie Bill

Well I dont know if they do or not but here's me. I was an Air Force brat,
have lived in or around Austin since 1970 where I attended UT. We bought
this house in late October and my obsession with ponds began when I
unboarded this mysterious hole in the ground. At the same time I moved my
one man print shop into our garage, hence the posts any time of the day.
Can you tell it's been a slow day? I'm 52 going on 18 and some of my
interests include my wife, picking up our 20 month old granddaughter every
other weekend (what an unadultered joy!), fixing up our yard and home,
setting up an aquarium, baseball card collecting, spending time with my two
grown kids and immediate family - all whom live between here and San
Antonio, learning more and more not to sweat the small stuff, taking time to
smell the roses (we have 8 bushes) and appreciate all the people I am
fortunate enough to know, including my growing family here-not necessarily
in that order. I am quite spiritual though not particularly religious. I
love humor. My best friend died the same week we closed on the house and
there was so much I didnt do or tell him. I wont let that happen again. So
here goes - "I love you guys". Oh wait, that's a beer commercial and I dont
drink.
Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

Old 19-06-2004, 01:07 AM
Grandpa

John DeBoo here, 55, retired & loving it. Have lots of hobbies such as:
grandkids (#4 will appear in Dec 04), reading good books, woodworking,
gardening, model car and larger scale model ship building, collecting
some coins & stamps (nothing of value but fun anyway) and computers.
I've a small 125 gal pond in the middle of our backyard garden with a
small fountain & waterfall (area which used to be an 18x36 swimming
pool). Lots of roses, marigolds, chrysanthemums, camomile, basil,
chives, dill, thyme, bachelor buttons, red hot pokers, onions, carrots,
garlic, parsley, zinnias, cosmos, VERY tall sunflowers (9'+ when fully
grown), dahlias, lilacs, corn, tomatos (our dogs - MinPins harvest
them), squash, portulacas & sweet alyssum bordering the small waterfall,
mexican evening primroses, canterbury bells, petunias, nasturtiums,
mint, snapdragons, daises, euphemous(sp) and a couple other goodies I
disremember the names of. Pond has some fish (gold feeders and skeeter
eaters in it & lots of plants.

Grandpa John in Albuquerque

Old 19-06-2004, 01:09 AM
Ka30P

matrix wrote Just to see where everyone is from and what other interests
and hobbies
they may have?

Good idea, especially for new folks and moldy oldies alike.

We live in SE WA state. Jan, of jj's ponds, got me started in ponding, gee,
about 8 years ago I think.
DH works in the nuclear industry. I'm going back for my masters in teaching
this fall - I want to be a science teacher and have a pond in my room...
two eldest children graduated from high school this year, going to college next
year, youngest son is a freshman in high school this coming fall.
Other hobbies - reading, writing, reading, occasional quilting, reading,
haphazard gardening, reading, uncertain cooking, reading, being mother to the
eldest's rock band, editor of daughter's better writing, cheering section for
the football playing youngest (Go Bombers!)
Rosie and Heidi, the watergardening labradors, complete the family.
Next!

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 19-06-2004, 02:05 AM
Ron, KC4YOY

Just wondering if rec.ponds ever does a roll call every now and then?

My name is Ron and my wife is Belinda.
I'll be 52 the 20th of next month.
This coming September we will have been married 30 years.
No kids, 4 cats, about 40 goldfish and 400 radios.
I'm a ham radio operator, call is KC4YOY. I also collect
antique radios. There's a link to my web page below if
you'd like to see what that's all about.
We've been in our current (and last) house just over 15 years.
We have almost 3 acres of wooded land, very little grassy yard,
most the area around the house is gardens and growing all the
time.
Our pond, about 1600 gallons is a converted spa/hot tub that's
located on our walled patio. I got tired of trying to keep the
spa clean so we just didn't use it for a couple of years
and then saw a magazine article about a fish pond. We've
enjoyed to pond way more than we ever did to spa.
There's a link to our pond web page on my main Radio Heaven
web page.
I really enjoy the pond newsgroup, I visit several times a day.

I wonder if there are any other members of the group
in the Charlotte NC area?

Best Regards.

Ron

C.R."Ron"Lawrence KC4YOY
Antique Radio Collector & Historian
kc4yoy(at)carolina.rr.com

POBox 3015
Matthews, NC 28106-3015
704-289-1166 (home)

Radio Collection Web Page,
http://www.radioheaven.homestead.com
Clough-Brengle equipment web page
http://CloughBrengle.homestead.com
CC-AWA Web Page,
http://www.cc-awa.org

Old 19-06-2004, 03:04 AM
Nedra

I'll be 74 in September. Don't feel a day of it of course. I've got two
sons,
6 grandkids plus one Great granddaughter.
Youngest grandchild is 20 - the twins are also 20... different son involved
;-)

My hobbies are similar to Kathy's ... i.e. Reading! That, water gardening
into the ninth year now ...
and rec.ponds consume much of the rest of my time.

Nedra in Missouri

My Backyard Pond:
Lotus Pond:

. com...

Old 19-06-2004, 06:05 AM
Mike Patterson

"Ron, KC4YOY" wrote in message
.com...
Just wondering if rec.ponds ever does a roll call every now and then?

Mike Patterson, aged 43, computer network geek by trade (just hired on
at T-Mobile this week), 2 kids, married since 1979, live a little
south of Atlanta, GA, USA.

Non-family-related interests include ponding, reading, history,
flying, and shooting. Despise TV except for the History Channel.

I have a pretty new 1375 gallon (US) pond with goldfish and shiners.

Been reading and posting here for about 4-5 years.

Worked on the pond off and on for about 3 years, then last fall got
most of it done in one 2-week burst of sweaty work. Let it settle over
last winter, then in February made adjustments and got it going for
real.

Looks pretty good right now, but I think I'm going to thin out the
water hyacinth and let the water lettuce grow instead.

Pickeral rush has gotten enormous, and the 2 lilies have lots of
leaves but no flowers. :-(

I'd like to get rid of the shiners in the pond, but I hate to take 'em
to the bait store, and catching them is problematic anyway.

Got so many little tiny fish fry I have no idea what to do about them.

Oh, and I -still- plan to do the "fire & water" pond soon. I think I
have figured out the best way to do it...

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific..."
Old 19-06-2004, 08:05 AM
Gail Futoran

"matrix j" wrote in message
Just wondering if rec.ponds ever does a roll call every

now and then?

Just to see where everyone is from and what other

interests and hobbies
they may have?

Reside NE of San Antonio TX. Retired.

Ponds are a recent interest, starting with a 110
gallon stocktank and slowly working up to a 200
(or so) gal. in-ground pond est. winter 02/03.
Inhabitants are rosey red minnows & whatever
else shows up.

150 gal stock tank has 6 goldfish (comets &
shubunkin), a smaller stock tank has more
minnows (back-up stock, since nothing much
bothers the stock tanks). All tanks are planted.
Goldfish get filtration; other tanks don't.

Other interests: Cats (4), SF/fantasy/mystery
reading, gardening (mostly roses & bird/butterfly
friendly plants), backyard bird watching.

Gail

Old 19-06-2004, 08:05 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

~ jan
Koi ponds built in 1995 (1500 gallons total)
Lily pond built in 2000, 1000 gallons
Demonstration Pond, built in 2000, 2000 gallons
Rec.ponder/Porger since 1997
Master Gardener since 1996
Koi Health Advisor since 2002

3 boys, 23, 20, 15. Eldest & youngest have Asperger's Syndrome, Middle boy
in Iraq, w/Army, light weight vehicle mechanic. TG for the internet we IM
daily. He's not mechanicing, but guarding around the barracks of the
training Iraqi military. 7 hours on, 17 off, so has lots of time to IM his
Mama. ;o)

Otherwise I'm a Paraeducator at middle school level, but off for summer.
Due to cut backs have no idea what or where I'll be, or if I have to go
back to subbing in the fall. More ponding background can be read at my
website. )

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 19-06-2004, 02:03 PM
Bonnie

Hi,
My name is Bonnie and I'm a ponder. I live in a rural area
of NW New Jersey, been here for 28 years.
It all started about 10 years ago when I visited my sister's
farm and her husband had just installed a beautiful pond. I
then decided I could do it too and went to a garden center
and bought a 100 preformed pond put it in the back of my
little Honda and drove home - I thought I was a ponder.
After killing all my fish a few years later I found this
group and found out how to put in a "real" pond. I think
that was 7 or 8 years ago. My husband Ralph has not loved
every moment of this adventure, but he does enjoy the results.
We have been married for 39 years. One son 37 and a
daughter 33. One granddaughter 9. I keep myself busy with
quilting, reading, gardening and I love listening to music
of almost all types. I've recently been diagnosed with a
rare autoimmune disease, Primary Biliary Cirrhosis. Much of
my time has been spent learning how live with this disease.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 19-06-2004, 02:04 PM
Mickey

Chris age 32, I live in Minnesota. I have a 3000+ gallon above ground pound.
I also have lots of plant finally.

Old 19-06-2004, 03:07 PM
bluegill phil

42 yrs old bluecollar forklift maintance for fortune500 sweatshop
which Im thankful for. Started lurking here yrs ago and got hooked. I
already had it in my blood but this group set it off. Got loveing wife
step son and daughter all thought that I had lost my mind when I
started digging up the pheasant pen. I was going to get more pheasants
but went for the pond.It looks like a sewage treatment tank more than
like this groups fine ponds but isnt a watergarden but an aquaculture
project or this is what I tell my wife. Jesus Christ is my king. Paris
Tx is my town and Philip is my name

Old 19-06-2004, 05:02 PM
J.D. Stone

matrix j wrote:

Just wondering if rec.ponds ever does a roll call every now and then?

Just to see where everyone is from and what other interests and hobbies
they may have?

JD, here. 57. Been ponding since '90. Have two ponds, one ~1,000 gal and
one, recently redone trying the bog gravel filter idea in the pond, ~ 1300
gal. Seems to be working fine. Granbury, TX is home. Been in nuclear power
since '66. Four grown kids, six grandkids and Max, our Schnauzer. Have
converted two of the kids to Schnauzers but haven't porged them, yet. DW
tolerates the ponds, enjoys the pool more. I recently built a deck around
one of the ponds so she is enjoying them more, lately. She has just been
diagnosed with BC, so your prayers would be appreciated and would help.
http://www2.itexas.net/jdstone/

Old 19-06-2004, 09:05 PM
Janet

--

"matrix j" wrote in message
Just wondering if rec.ponds ever does a roll call every now and then?

Just to see where everyone is from and what other interests and hobbies
they may have?

Janet in Niagara Falls, Canada here. Married to a wonderful guy for 16 years
now. We have 3 great kids, 15,12 and 9 that love the ponds and fish.
Currently our setup is a 200 gallon top pond-veggie filter that feeds a 35
foot winding stream coming down a hill. It empties into a 300 gallon bottom
pond filled with plants and comets. Currently we are getting motivated to
dig some more and almost triple the size of the lower pond. (Think good
Niagara Clay! Yuck!) Some day I'll have my koi pond but that can't happen
until the kids are done with the pool! ;o) We've been at this property only
3 summers so I figure we're doing good considering there was nothing in the
backyard but a pool and gravel.Now we have stone walls, retaining walls and
lots of wooden decks. The other project that is supposed to get done this
summer is to cut a 10'x19' patio into the remaining hill. Last property was
a farm complete with cows, geese, etc. I had a wonderful clay bottom pond
that was probably close on 10,000 gallons. We stocked it with koi but sadly
left them behind when we moved.

The only real hobby here is gardening, ponding and supervising pool use in
the summer. Winter, well it's reading everything I can get my hands on. )
Just one crazy dog here now, a jack-a-poo who thinks that anything floating
in the lower pond is fair game. Ever see a 8 pound dog patiently wait for a
WH to float close enough to gracefully lift it out of the pond that proceed
to attack it and rip it to shreads? LOL! He thinks the fish are his pets and
partakes in "fish kisses" every night. The Manx tomcat has absolutely no use
for the ponds or fish after falling in last summer! D

Janet in warm, sunny Niagara Falls