Old 18-08-2004, 02:15 PM
Benign Vanilla

Default Lily fertilizer

"Hal" wrote in message
There was a thread earlier about once a year fertilizer for lilies, or
it may have been aquatic plants, anyway I thought I would try a slow
release low nitrogen fertilizer in my lilies since they were beginning
to slow down on the blooms a bit. I went to my local Lowe's and
found the lowest nitrogen10 and highest phosphate 13 with potash 13
the best thing they had and thought that might do. It might please
some, but I want blooms not leaves. I put up some pictures of what
happened to two of the pots, so you can snicker a bit if it pleases
you to laugh at a dummy. Go ahead, I grinned a bit myself!
http://members.cox.net/hrclark1/Index.html

snip

Next year I am potting my lillies properly, and fertilizing them. Mine have
never looked like this.

BV.

Old 19-08-2004, 11:18 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 16:16:40 -0400, Hal wrote:

http://members.cox.net/hrclark1/Index.html

So, Hal, your lily thinks it a lotus. ;o)

If someone has a source for a good slow release lily fertilizer,please
post it. Hal

Well I don't know if they're slow release, but try www.gardenlink.com and
click on "Spikes" they make a lily spike, big, suppose to last all year by
their claim. I know the gal fertilizing the lilies at the D.pond this year
is using them, and I guess she's happy with the blooms. (I'm not happy that
the volunteers don't dead head and squish aphids enough, but the filter is
the only concern I can deal with this year.)

What happens to your pads if you were to go thru and get rid of all those
"ugly" spread out old pads? When my lilies have started to do this, going
thru and plucking off those old pads takes care of it. But than, I get in
at least once a week and deadhead and strip off anything ugly. Ugly
(yellowing, brown spots, rips) stressed pads attracts aphids. I'm using the
Jobe's Tomato spikes and feed about every 3 weeks, 2 each. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 20-08-2004, 12:24 AM
Roy

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 15:18:34 -0700, ~ jan JJsPond.us
wrote:

===On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 16:16:40 -0400, Hal wrote:
===
[...]

So your using the regular old tomatoe fertilizer spikes for lillies?
How have they like it so far? Certainly tomatoe fertilizer stakes
have to be cheaper than the 10 or 12 in the bottle stuff that the
local places around here sell for $7.95
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Old 20-08-2004, 01:57 AM
RichToyBox

A couple of years ago I found info on the web, can't remember the source as
shown below.
Lily Fertilizer

This fertilizer recipe was credited to Mr. Perry Slocum who has originated
and patented many of the lilies and lotus, including Mrs. Perry Slocum a
very fragrant lotus with large double flowers.

The recipe is based on mixing a bushel size container of soil.

1. Use good clay type garden soil.

2. Mix into the soil 1 cup of bone meal.

3. Mix into the soil 1 cup of granular fertilizer with a high middle
number such as 10-20-10. The larger middle number is for blooms.

4. Add about 8 large Agriform fertilizer tablets around the edge of
the container. (If you cannot find Agriform tablets, use Jobe's Tomato
Spikes).

5. Mix into the soil 1 cup of dried blood meal.

Make sure all is mixed well. Top with pea gravel or larger to keep the fish
out

Stand back and watch and "listen" to them grow. After about 3 weeks in this
soil ad new tablets every 2 weeks.

--
RichToyBox
http://www.geocities.com/richtoybox/index.html
"Hal" wrote in message
There was a thread earlier about once a year fertilizer for lilies, or
it may have been aquatic plants, anyway I thought I would try a slow
release low nitrogen fertilizer in my lilies since they were beginning
to slow down on the blooms a bit. I went to my local Lowe's and
found the lowest nitrogen10 and highest phosphate 13 with potash 13
the best thing they had and thought that might do. It might please
some, but I want blooms not leaves. I put up some pictures of what
happened to two of the pots, so you can snicker a bit if it pleases
you to laugh at a dummy. Go ahead, I grinned a bit myself!
http://members.cox.net/hrclark1/Index.html

I began looking for a slow release, or aquatic fertilizer with
15-30-15, or 1-2-1 mix and found what I was using that has to be fed
once every two weeks and one site had the nerve to call that slow
release. I also found an 8-24-8 that I think would work well, but
trying to feed two 8 to 10 gallon lily pots gets tiresome with the
small stakes weighed in grams, that takes one to a gallon of soil. I
didn't find a 4 oz tree stake that was anything like the 1-2-1 or
1-3-1 which I believe to be much better for water lilies.
If someone has a source for a good slow release lily fertilizer,please
post it.

Regards,

Hal

Old 22-08-2004, 08:03 PM
~ Windsong ~

"Roy" wrote in message
So your using the regular old tomatoe fertilizer spikes for lillies?
How have they like it so far? Certainly tomatoe fertilizer stakes
have to be cheaper than the 10 or 12 in the bottle stuff that the
local places around here sell for $7.95

============================
Seems like all the fertilizers for pond plants are overpriced. I've been
using the cheaper Rose stakes broken into thirds for my lilies and Lotus.
Works great. :-)
--
Carol.... the frugal ponder...
"Do stars clean themselves with meteor showers?"

Old 22-08-2004, 09:02 PM
Gary

"~ Windsong ~" wrote:

Seems like all the fertilizers for pond plants are overpriced.

Lilypons has occasional specials that are merely a bit overpriced, as
opposed to the regular price which is obscene.

Old 22-08-2004, 09:02 PM
Gary

Old 23-08-2004, 04:03 AM
Roy

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 14:03:24 -0500, "~ Windsong ~" wrote:

===
et...
===============================
===Seems like all the fertilizers for pond plants are overpriced. I've been
===using the cheaper Rose stakes broken into thirds for my lilies and Lotus.
===Works great. :-)

Well I looked in about 8 diferent stores this weekend for tomatoe
plant fertilizer stakes and not a store carried them. But I think I
remember seeing rose stakes......... By chance I was in a Lowes that
was about 60 miles froom home today and actually found those
pre-planted water garden flower assortments, that were properly
treated. Was kind of hard to pass up Water lillys that were marked
regularly for $11.95 andnow reduced to $5. something each, especially
when they were already leaved out and were doing fine. I was not sure
about the other plants like horsetail and bog bean etc as they had no
growth on them so I left them be,

Old 24-08-2004, 05:21 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Hal" wrote in message
That is the reason I've been using stakes with numbers like 15-30-15
and 8-24-8. They work great, but require constant replacement to
keep up the nutrition the plants need for best blooming. The thing
that got my attention was to be able to fertilize once a season
instead of every two weeks like I had been doing.

Every 2 weeks? What were you using? I use the Rose Stakes broken into
thirds in a heavy clay soil no more than maybe 3 times over the growing
season here in zone 6 (central TN).
--
Carol.... the frugal ponder...
"Marriage changes passion. Suddenly you're in bed with a relative."