Old 18-02-2005, 01:20 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

rottenfish (Roy) responded to:

What Mark and Kim Smith wrote which was snipped for brevity:

===m.News. EarthLink Members should use their best judgment when posting to
===any newsgroup. Many groups have charters, published guidelines, FAQs, or

Roy agreed:

EXACTLY.. water dogs are NOT considered on topic

So you do what you consider wrong, than claim it so?

I am not hard to deal with or get along with by any means

You would seriously have to change your latest postings to make me believe
that one.

.......no too much trouble better and easier to set there
and call names, insults and jump on the bandwagon, whine and cry like
a bunch of babies, and pout they did not get their own way...........

What's that saying, "Pot calling the kettle black" ? tsk, tsk. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 18-02-2005, 01:46 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Hi Len, you wrote:

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 01:01:35 GMT, "Yabbadoo" wrote:

Jan, I appreciate your elucidation of the acronym "Porg", thank you.

You are most welcome, and I'm glad the Borg comparison wasn't lost on you.

As far as is currently happening in this thread. Note it is marked OT (Off
Topic), and for the most part the rest of the ponding related threads
should be good. Roy is gonna poke at some, as he's painted all who
currently post to RP with the same brush, when it was only one or two that
decided to nail him over the practice of being gleeful of pulling dead fish
out of a natural pond overstocked and suffering oxygen deprivation. In his
behalf, there wasn't much else he could do, they were junk fish (to him),
and he wasn't doing anything but cleaning up what nature had caused.
Unfortunately I guess the glee got to some here.

Every newsgroup has it Roy(s), they come and go. In rec.ponds we try to do
as K30 mentioned, most of us try to defuse them, kindly with humor.
Sometimes it works and sometimes not. Afterall, anger is usually 3 things:
frustration, fear, and I forgot the 3rd.... will have to pay better
attention to Dr.Phil's show next time he repeats them. /

Currently it is late winter in the northern latitude, with hints of spring,
many of us are suffering those affects, much like cabin fever. Come full
pond season in 2 months we won't have time, or take the time, for such
snipping events. So stay tuned, rec.ponds will improve, I promise.....
course Roy could always prove me wrong if he so chooses.... but I think
not. Most of us will soon bore and just ignore him and that will be that.
K30 says she's already going there. Myself, I just try to make sense of
what he's saying. I'm still scratching my head about him complaining about
complainers.

So stay tune and delete anything marked OT, unless bored. ) ~ jan
~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 18-02-2005, 01:56 AM
Roy

Thats your perogative.......

On 17 Feb 2005 17:01:06 -0800, "kathy" wrote:

===Amazing.
===Words fail me.
===And I suppose we should stop poking at Roy.
===I hereby promise to stop reading Roy's posts,
===under whatever name he puts them. I will ignore
===his jibes. I won't make fun of his rants. They always
===say the best way to deal with a bully is to ignore him.
===
===kathy

REMEMBER: "This is worth repeating for benefit of al newbies!
Jo Ann asked Dr. Solo to remind people that while she has retired from selling GF (and sold
the business to Ken Fischer http://dandyorandas.com/) she has NOT retired from
helping people with sick GF and koi FOR FREE. 251-649-4790 phoning is best for
diagnosis. but, can try email put "help sick fish" in subject. Get your fish at Dandy Orandas
Dandy Orandas Dandy Orandas........you guys got that DANDY ORANDAS

Old 18-02-2005, 01:36 PM
Yabbadoo

Kathy, Jan - thank you for your welcome and sense.

UK is also in the Western hemisphere, it is currently mid-winter approaching
Spring. We are about 40 miles North of London. To date, no snow, ambient
temperature varying between 32 and 50 degrees F.
I have a small pond, self-dug, about 800 gallons, made about about 10 years
ago. It did have an eclectic mix of fish, but two major catastrophes
occurred, both within the last year.

1/ My birthday and Father's Day were a week apart last year - my family
bought me several small Koi from THe Japanese Koi Co - UK fishery about 2
miles away, the largest Koi supplier in the UK. Within a week my pond fish
mostly died - I was left with just 5 fish, and had major problems
hospitalising them, completely draining the pond, totally cleaning and
re-conditioning.

(Have since discovered that the Japanese Joi Co (Henlow, Bedfordshire) is
locally known as the One Stop Shop - customers only shop there once .... my
experience is not uncommon).

2/ Having found two more reliable suppliers (one, 25 miles, the other, about
10 miles away) restocked the pond last year with a few small Koi. They
thrived and survived just fine, till last week. Then came the heron ....
I'm now down to just 3 fish left. My carelessness - forgot to re-cover the
pond with a net frame I made.

With 10 years or more pond-keeping (and, prior to that, near 30 of
tropicals) I am fairly competant - pond fish in particular. I have water
testing kit, but have yet to successfully defeat blanket weed. Despite the
low temperature, my blanket weed is thriving, I'm taking it out by the
net-load. My water is clear and pure, and within limits for all tests.

I've had the "electronic" water treatment (the coil thing round the water
outlet from the filter) for several years - cost me £99 (about $170) and
it's worthless. Enzyme treatments do work, but at $30 a throw, expensive for
just a few weeks freedom - and I'm not happy about the reduced oxygen level
when they're employed.

Am thinking about the "I Tronic" solution - in UK, £120, ($218) but - read
the reviews. This works chemically by passing pond water over a copper
anode (thus introducing a copper salt into the pond). Seems like it's a
VERY fine line between annihilating the blanketweed (which it does, VERY
effectively) and poisoning the fish ... just a very few parts per million
and the water becomes toxic to fish.

Somewhat belatedly, I realise that I'm babbling on about
fish/ponds/prooblems in an OT thread. I will leave it here (since it started
as a "thank you" relevant to this thread) but will re-post as a new topic,
editing the text appropriately. Just one thing - the reference you made to
"Queen's" English ( I had merely said, "English", as opposed to the Webster
variety) Surely, such reference is potentially contentious - not only to
British republicans, but also to Canadians (particularly Quebec) and other
former colonial countries - Australians spring to mind ?

Like you, yes I'm looking forward to late April - not only for the pond but
also the resumption of that quintessential English pastime - outdoor bowls
(the Sir Francis Drake variety). Must be one of the very few games still
played that can trace its origins back over more than 500 years!

Sincerely, Len.

"Yabbadoo" wrote in message
Jan, I appreciate your elucidation of the acronym "Porg", thank you.

I'm 3,500+ miles away (on the other side of the Big Pond, aka the
Atlantic) and yes, we are familiar with Star Trek, the Next Generation
(and the Borg). Good series, but not as good as the original. My personal
view, hopefully non-contentious, since I enjoy the repeats of both, time
after time.

At time of writing there's over 30 posts in this one thread, mostly
sniping and payback between just a few individuals. Given that ng's are
available and read world-wide, it's a pity that the content degenerates
like this. From my ISP list of 36000+ ng's, this is one of only two ng's
which are pond-related. The other isn't worth subscribing to, as it has no
moderator whatsoever and as a consequence is filled with posts of "spam",
porn or medication varieties.

To date I've posted here thrice - first one yielded detailed info I asked
for, a second gave good info to a pond newbie, the third (which you
responded to, Jan) satisfied my curiosity (possibly other readers too,
given the obscure derivation of "Porg"). Which, by definition and intent,
is what both ng's and the WWW are all about - sharing information.

Newbie (to this ng) I may be, but the sniping and carping exchanges
devalue both the ng and the contributors doing it.

I'm getting on (62), have a sense of humour and enjoy a good joke, but see
little humour and no merit in most of the extended dialogue here. Note I
kept ON topic (just) - "carping"? .... I apologise for any punctuation
errors (typos) but not for my spelling, which is English, the mother
tongue.

Sincerely, Len.

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 01:08:30 GMT, "Yabbadoo"
wrote:

what's a porg? "People Of Restricted Growth"
Len

LOL! Well SOME people in here would surely fit that description. ;-)

We say Pond Oriented Recreational Group. Originally though the word Porg
was a play on Star Trek Next Generation, if not a fan this will not make
much sense, but the Borg were half man, half machine aliens that wish to
rule to the world:

The Borg said:
"We are _Borg_ resistant is futile, you will be assimilated."
The Porg say:
"We are Porg, resistant IS futile, you will be pond-elated."

Btw, to join this latest "club" you have to PO Roy, and it doesn't take
much lately. Just heed the advice when you do, ignore Roy, we all do....
well except when he occasionally gives good pond advice, it's sometimes
hard to tell between all the name calling and sarcasm. The Water Spaniel
thread was interesting though, his, though he often mugs his handle.

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 18-02-2005, 02:57 PM
kathy

Len wrote Just one thing - the reference you made to
"Queen's" English

As a Canadian born, and mostly educated, child of American
parents I just got bowled away by singing 'God Save the Queen'
growing up ;-)

kathy

Old 18-02-2005, 03:52 PM
REBEL JOE

You know I kinda like to read roys posts. He has sure made it
interesting in here LOL. He'll take this wrong I'm sure but I think all
groups need a troll, for a better word. just to livein up the group once
in a while. And I think I'd put roy up there with the best of um I
always read his posts.

http://community.webtv.net/rebeljoe/POND

Old 18-02-2005, 05:25 PM
WJHenderson

I for one do not consider myself a troll......but you do have your
opinion........But for your comment you just lost your place on my
list!

Old 18-02-2005, 06:08 PM
Derek Broughton

Normally, I wouldn't bother, but since you went to such trouble to be
noticed...

Donny (Roy) wrote:

The thing you don't like is someone with an different opinion and that
does not agree with you.

Actually, I _love_ someone with different opinions. Ask anybody here, I'm
always game for an argument.

Were you always a spolied little brat that
got only what he wanted and only his way when you were growing
up...evidently so and you expect such now............

Yeah, right. I'm not the one who's getting killfiled by everybody on this
group.

Show me a malicious post, or a post that has been OT

I don't care about OTs, and you're welcome to the occasional one. This, of
course, is one. Malicious? Changing your handle to "Nedra Sucks"
definitely constitutes malicious. As I said, you've been pretty good since
then. Annoying, but within the bounds of acceptability.

dude............Whats good for one is good for others, show leaway to
one it should and will go to others, posy crap about dogs, so can
others, its already been stated its acceptable, so one persons posts
should not be treated any different now should they...........I

Absolutely not. However, both K30s recent posts about dogs have also been
about ponds, so they're acceptable anyway.

really think you spent too much times in a Salt mine and with your
perceived attitude of getting your way and only your way is

That's exactly what it is - your perception.

I find it pretty odd that you can be so sure I need to get my own way with
you, when I'm trying so hard not to even see your posts - but you just keep
changing your name so that they come through. Me, I always post with my
real name, and a real email address. If you just want to make my life
miserable, why don't you use email and leave the rest of the ponders alone.
--
derek

Old 18-02-2005, 06:33 PM
Lilly

Since Labs are water dogs, they are at least marginally on-topic. ;-)

Lilly

Benign Vanilla wrote:
Kathy's lab's are always welcome here, if you ask me.

Old 18-02-2005, 07:55 PM
kathy

Lilly wrote Since Labs are water dogs, they are at least
marginally on-topic ;-)

Would you believe our two labs won't swim!
Defective labradors!

Another point for on topic the poor fellow threw his bag of pot into
a stream. And I want to build a stream someday...

kathy

Old 18-02-2005, 08:18 PM
Derek Broughton

kathy wrote:

Lilly wrote Since Labs are water dogs, they are at least
marginally on-topic ;-)

Would you believe our two labs won't swim!
Defective labradors!

Another point for on topic the poor fellow threw his bag of pot into
a stream. And I want to build a stream someday...

My two water dogs (German Shorthaired Pointers), too (and the previous two
as well). Only my first GSP and my Schnauzer have been swimmers.
--
derek
Old 18-02-2005, 09:52 PM
Bonnie NJ

And I want to build a stream someday...

kathy

If you're looking for a location to build that stream - I know a good
location in NJ ;-)
Bonnie
NJ

Old 18-02-2005, 10:08 PM
2pods

Another point for on topic the poor fellow threw his bag of pot into
a stream. And I want to build a stream someday...

kathy

Was it for the Stone(ed) Loaches ?

.....I'll get my coat....

Peter