Old 17-02-2005, 08:57 PM
Mark and Kim Smith

m.News. EarthLink Members should use their best judgment when posting to
any newsgroup. Many groups have charters, published guidelines, FAQs, or
"community standards" describing what is and is not considered
appropriate. Usenet can be a valuable resource if used properly. The
continued posting of off-topic articles is prohibited. Commercial
advertisements are off-topic in most newsgroups, especially regional
groups not specifically named for such. The presence of such articles in
a group is not indicative of the group's "intended" use. Please
familiarize yourself with basic Usenet netiquette before posting to a
newsgroup.

Roy wrote:

Yea right water dogs have as much business being posted in rec.ponds
as wet dog does....so if thats the case, then be prepared to start
your kill files, as I will flood this dumbassed group with all kinds
of stuff water related, .......y'all said it right here its acceptable
as long as it has something to do with water....................lets
see....ducks, river rafts, boating, yea boats are water related,
skiing, swimimng, kayaking,, man this could get to be a lot of work
but it will be worth it. Yep, copy pastes would be the fastest method
instead of typing articles..........

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 02:11:23 GMT, "Gail Futoran"
wrote:

==="Mark and Kim Smith" wrote in message
.. .
=== Wow! Usenet police. What does OT mean??
===
===Off topic. Most groups don't mind a few off topic
===posts, especially if they have a remote connection
===to the group - like Kathy's post about water dogs.
===
===rec.ponds is, IMO (in my opinion), one of the better
===groups for staying mostly on topic.
===
===Gail
===
===

REMEMBER: "This is worth repeating for benefit of al newbies!
Jo Ann asked Dr. Solo to remind people that while she has retired from selling GF (and sold
the business to Ken Fischer http://dandyorandas.com/) she has NOT retired from
helping people with sick GF and koi FOR FREE. 251-649-4790 phoning is best for
diagnosis. but, can try email put "help sick fish" in subject. Get your fish at Dandy Orandas
Dandy Orandas Dandy Orandas........you guys got that DANDY ORANDAS

Old 17-02-2005, 09:34 PM
Gail Futoran

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message

"Gail Futoran" wrote

[snip]
Off topic. Most groups don't mind a few off topic
posts, especially if they have a remote connection
to the group - like Kathy's post about water dogs.

rec.ponds is, IMO (in my opinion), one of the better
groups for staying mostly on topic.

Kathy's lab's are always welcome here, if you ask me.

You betcha!

--
BV
Webporgmaster of iheartmypond.com

Gail

Old 17-02-2005, 09:34 PM
Gail Futoran

"PlainBill" wrote in message
How much lattitude is allowed?

Reason ... Actually I like "community standards".
I try to hang around a ng long enough to get a feeling
for what those are before jumping in. (With some
groups you have to wade through a ton of OT &
spam posts to do that, unfortunately.)

I assume discusion of 'water features' should be permittted.

So far there's been no problem with such topics
that I recall.

Reminders to "Watch out for alligators while trying to drain a swamp"
would seem to be on topic. (Especially relavent to some of my
projects).

Yep.

Transporting live fish is obviously on topic.

But how about other creatures that live in water - such as turtles,
beaver or muskrats? And would this include other members of genus
(snapping turtles are on topic - but how about a desert tortise?)

We've had a lot of such posts because some ponders
have natural ponds or, like me, have ponds that were
designed to attract local wildlife - frogs, toads, snakes.
The ng is called rec.ponds, not rec.fish. We've
even had discussions revolving very large ponds or
what I might call small lakes on private property.

And (after my last experince cleaning up the muck at the bottom of the
pond), is mud wrestling on topic?

Depends on whether or not you provide beer. g

We now return you to ponding.

PlainBill

Gail

Old 17-02-2005, 09:45 PM
Roy

EXACTLY....and it should not be justy aimed at earthlink
customers..............and according to those standards that are in
place on USENET policy, water dogs are NOT considered on topic or
approropriate to post as is someones wifes business adventure or how
their stupid cat ate the canary...........That is unless your one of
the special ones that ADJUST the rules to meet their needs at the
time........

I am not hard to deal with or get along with by any means, but I do
not and will not take to one sided ness or abuse from anyone no matter
how small they may think it is without my defending my positions and
taking a stand. for my beliefs, especially when folks will make a
smart assed reply and then inform yu your kill filed, so yu do not get
a chance to even state why things are like they are.......No this
group is onesided, and is akin to a private little comfy club, with
their so called chain of command and seniority, and lack of really
knowing what they are posting in respnse to, but are so happy to jump
on the wagon and follow suit when one of the chosen few strikes
back........Can;t handle the facts of what things are and that there
is more ways to skin a cat than their way! No one in this forum has
the right or power or whatever to permit OT posts on someone elses
behalf.....its USENETS authority......not the members since this is an
unmoderated forum..........so why don;t one of those deadassed
noisemakers get off their butt and submit a request to change it to a
moderated group....well it owuld take a set of bylaws and some other
things in place first...........or perhaps start their own forum
moderated .......no too much trouble better and easier to set there
and call names, insults and jump on the bandwagon, whine and cry like
a bunch of babies, and pout they did not get their own way...........

On 17 Feb 2005 15:57:51 EST, Mark and Kim Smith
wrote:

===m.News. EarthLink Members should use their best judgment when posting to
===any newsgroup. Many groups have charters, published guidelines, FAQs, or
==="community standards" describing what is and is not considered
===appropriate. Usenet can be a valuable resource if used properly. The
===continued posting of off-topic articles is prohibited. Commercial
===advertisements are off-topic in most newsgroups, especially regional
===groups not specifically named for such. The presence of such articles in
===a group is not indicative of the group's "intended" use. Please
===familiarize yourself with basic Usenet netiquette before posting to a
===newsgroup.
===
===Roy wrote:
===
===Yea right water dogs have as much business being posted in rec.ponds
===as wet dog does....so if thats the case, then be prepared to start
===your kill files, as I will flood this dumbassed group with all kinds
===of stuff water related, .......y'all said it right here its acceptable
===as long as it has something to do with water....................lets
===see....ducks, river rafts, boating, yea boats are water related,
===skiing, swimimng, kayaking,, man this could get to be a lot of work
===but it will be worth it. Yep, copy pastes would be the fastest method
===instead of typing articles..........
===
===On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 02:11:23 GMT, "Gail Futoran"
wrote:
===
===
===
======"Mark and Kim Smith" wrote in message
et...
====== Wow! Usenet police. What does OT mean??
======

Old 17-02-2005, 10:09 PM
Gary Woods

"Gail Futoran" wrote:

We've had a lot of such posts because some ponders
have natural ponds or, like me, have ponds that were
designed to attract local wildlife - frogs, toads, snakes.
The ng is called rec.ponds, not rec.fish.

Like me- my pond is about 2/3 acre, infested with too many large mouth bass
and one very well-fed koi, unoriginally named "Walter."

I do have various hardy lilies in plastic pails, and the occasional lotus
in a big Rubbermaid bushel tub.

As for attracting wildlife, it just turned out that way. My favorite is
the June pickeral frog orgy.

Old 17-02-2005, 11:07 PM
tim chandler

Wow! Exactly how long have you been off your medication? You have a
serious problem, really - get professional help! Or grow up, or both...

Happy Ponding,
Tim

wrote:

===m.News. EarthLink Members should use their best judgment when

posting to
===any newsgroup. Many groups have charters, published guidelines,

FAQs, or
==="community standards" describing what is and is not considered
===appropriate. Usenet can be a valuable resource if used properly. The
===continued posting of off-topic articles is prohibited. Commercial
===advertisements are off-topic in most newsgroups, especially regional
===groups not specifically named for such. The presence of such

articles in
===a group is not indicative of the group's "intended" use. Please
===familiarize yourself with basic Usenet netiquette before posting to

===newsgroup.
===
===Roy wrote:
===
===Yea right water dogs have as much business being posted in

rec.ponds
===as wet dog does....so if thats the case, then be prepared to start
===your kill files, as I will flood this dumbassed group with all

kinds
===of stuff water related, .......y'all said it right here its

acceptable
===as long as it has something to do with

water....................lets
===see....ducks, river rafts, boating, yea boats are water related,
===skiing, swimimng, kayaking,, man this could get to be a lot of work
===but it will be worth it. Yep, copy pastes would be the fastest

method
===instead of typing articles..........
===
===On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 02:11:23 GMT, "Gail Futoran"
wrote:
===
===
===