Old 02-03-2005, 08:28 AM
Elaine T

Default Lily questions

I've realized that if I put lilies in my half-barrels, I'm going to want
night bloomers because I'm typically out during the day. However, the
only night blooming lilies I've ever seen are monsters in botanical
gardens with 2-3 foot pads. Some surfing and Google searching hasn't
turned up any smaller night blooming lilies.

Do night bloomers come in dwarf varieties? If so, I'd appreciate a
source where I can buy or mail order them. If not, I guess I'm stuck
hoping for daytime lily flowers on the weekends or growing something else.

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Old 02-03-2005, 02:15 PM
kathy

Hi Elaine,
Lilies aren't really my area of knowledge.
I tend to have pink, white, yellow lilies
whereas Jan has real names for her's ;-)

But since this is a pond related subject I
thought I'd pop in and bask in this calm
corner of the newsgroup.... aaaahhhh :-)

And I might have a suggestion as I think
tropicals will open later in the afternoon.

kathy

Old 02-03-2005, 04:25 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Tell her your experience with the T.Lily last year, what was that Panama
Pacific or Pacific Blue or something. It was small wasn't it? ~ jan

On 2 Mar 2005 06:15:44 -0800, "kathy" wrote:

Hi Elaine,
Lilies aren't really my area of knowledge.
I tend to have pink, white, yellow lilies
whereas Jan has real names for her's ;-)

But since this is a pond related subject I
thought I'd pop in and bask in this calm
corner of the newsgroup.... aaaahhhh :-)

And I might have a suggestion as I think
tropicals will open later in the afternoon.

kathy

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 02-03-2005, 05:10 PM
kathy

jan wrote Tell her your experience with
the T. Lily last year, what was that Panama
Pacific or Pacific Blue or something. It was
small wasn't it?

Ummmm. It was purple. Sigh. I am SO no
good with names and such.
It was a small or dwarf tropical (probably that's
important too). I grew it in a washtub type container,
one of those aluminum type you get at Home
Depot. Probably a bit smaller all around than
a barrel. Maybe a lot smaller.

It bloomed A LOT but I can't tell you if it was
afternoon or not. (Hanging head in shame) all
I remember is you (jan) talking about tropicals
being open later in the day (tell me I remember
that right...)

And it was purple, very pretty, smelled pretty
too.
But I gave the plant to jan at the end of the
year as it wanted to spread its pads outside
the container and they were always looking
kind of fried. The flowers never suffered but
I felt badly about the pads. I probably should
have been ruthless about trimming any pad
that tried to grow outside the container. That
might have helped.

This year I'm trying my LAST try at a lotus
in that container. I'm good at killing lotus and
jan gave me some divides this weekend and
here we go....

Maybe Elaine someone can recommend a super
catalog for you, where they will answer questions
when you call and you'll find what you need that
way.

Or some other rec.ponder will know and I'm just
taking up space in the room but it is SO nice
in here. All pond related and such.

kathy :-)

Old 02-03-2005, 05:28 PM
kathy

I'm back.

One thing I forgot about this tropical was
that it made little plantlets on some of the
pads and they dropped off and fell to the bottom
of the container.

A good gardener would have nutured them along.
But I have never been a good gardener... I lost
track of them and didn't find them when I took the
plant out to take over to jan.

kathy

Old 02-03-2005, 06:06 PM
Elaine T

kathy wrote:
[...]

There's a purple called Panama Pacific that's fragrant and has a medium
spread. Is this it? http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/48876/ The blooms
are supposed to stay open for a long time. It's not a true dwarf but
maybe I can manage it in a tub you did.

I think I'm going to try a dwarf lotus in one of my tubs just for fun.
However, I've read that it can take a couple of years to see blooms from
lotus.

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Old 02-03-2005, 06:22 PM
kathy

Yes, that sure looks like it.
And it did really well in the tub, maybe you can
figure out some way to keep the pads in the tub
that want to escape.

I think if you buy a dwarf lotus from a catalog
it *should* bloom that year as I think they sell
mature plants (unless they state different).

I grew a lotus from seed. The first year it put pads
on the surface, the second year it put out some
arial pads and I figured the third summer it
would bloome but then that fall we had a drastic drop
in temperature and jan figures that is what killed it.
It was also in a tub on the deck. Very exposed. I think
if it had been in the pond it would have done fine, larger
bodies of water taking longer to drop in temp.

*Other* ponders, who shall remain nameless, have lotus
that grow like weeds. Some of them have whole ponds
full of them.

Besides the seed starts I killed, I managed to kill one that
was dug up from a University extension pond that was
closing down and then one that jan gave me last year.
So this is the LAST year I'm trying it. I'm sure it isn't me...
I'm betting it is the vibrations that run through the house
from the band practicing... that's it.

kathy

Old 02-03-2005, 09:05 PM
Derek Broughton

kathy wrote:

*Other* ponders, who shall remain nameless, have lotus
that grow like weeds. Some of them have whole ponds
full of them.

They're only nameless because there's so many of us that you'd develop
cramps in your hands typing them all...

Besides the seed starts I killed, I managed to kill one that
was dug up from a University extension pond that was
closing down and then one that jan gave me last year.

The dug-up ones don't surprise me - they are a little difficult to transpose
that way - but you killed one _Jan_ had lovingly tended??

So this is the LAST year I'm trying it. I'm sure it isn't me...
I'm betting it is the vibrations that run through the house
from the band practicing... that's it.

Yeah, sure :-)
--
derek

Old 02-03-2005, 09:28 PM
kathy

derek wrote but you killed one _Jan_ had lovingly
tended??

Yes, (hanging head) and I think it was one of the dug up
ones that she got. That makes it even worse!

Honestly though, if you go downstairs and into the family
room while the band is playing you can feel your inner
organs start to liquidate...

kathy