Old 30-07-2003, 01:12 AM
elfa

Default Your best and worst rose?

This has probably been asked before but I haven't seen it.

Anyone care to post their single BEST performing (not favorite) rose. The one
that consistantly produces blossoms with the least amount of hassle. The one
that you would recommend in good conscience to a first timer who didn't care
about color but just wanted a steady performer without having to 'baby' it.

Mine is Brandy...rock solid since last summer when I planted it. No fungus or
insects problems. Consistantly produces blooms.

How about the one rose you have that makes you want to get your money back. The
embarassment to your rose garden.

Mine is Sterling Silver. Wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy. Gets the
same treatment as all the rest and has yet to produce any blooms this summer.
It just sits there like a bump on a log. I wish I could get back the $20 it
cost.

thanks

elfa

zone 9

Old 30-07-2003, 02:02 AM
Mark. Gooley

"elfa" wrote:
This has probably been asked before but I haven't seen it.

Anyone care to post their single BEST performing (not favorite)
rose. The one that consistantly produces blossoms with the least
amount of hassle. The one that you would recommend in good
conscience to a first timer who didn't care about color but just
wanted a steady performer without having to 'baby' it.

Here in zone 8b I'd have to say "Old Blush." Bulletproof for me. I
also have an Austin shrub, "Mary Rose," that is attacked by black
spot, nibbled by grasshoppers and mad deer, and sometimes neglected,
yet it keeps blooming and re-growing and blooming again. And so far
some recently-acquired Bourbon roses have been thriving on neglect.

Worst? I can't say. Too many have died, and not always under
circumstances under which I can pin down the cause. Deer attacks,
lubber-grasshopper attacks, black spot after a week of constant rain
and constantly-wet leaves. One Chrysler Imperial struggled for
months before giving in; another is doing pretty well. Mind you, I
plant (or have in pots) mostly OGRs and Austins, with very few
modern hybrid teas -- and some modern roses have stunned me with
their toughness under adversity, such as "St. Patrick."

Definitely "Old Blush" for this climate. Stubborn *******, bless it.

Mark.

Old 30-07-2003, 04:02 AM
DScott

Best: Most definitely Belinda's Dream, with Iceberg a close second and Pink
Peace running a real good third.

Worst: Almost everything else I have is a thrip & blackspot magnet, along
with some signs of botrytis. I'm ready to plant some good old Ballerina and
Mutabilis in their places when cooler weather rolls around.
--
Dianne in Austin
Zone 8, Central Texas

Old 30-07-2003, 04:12 AM
elfa

In article , "Mark. says...

"elfa" wrote:
[...]

From what I've read, St Patrick is one of the more hearty roses. It's on my
list of roses to get.

elfa

Old 30-07-2003, 04:32 AM
Rosa Rosam

Best : General Schlabikine / Mutabilis / Clytemnestra / Rosa Multiflora /
Baby Faurax
Worst : Gertrude Jekkyl / Dresden Doll / Tequila Sunrise are on the goners
list.

Old 30-07-2003, 06:02 AM
Kirra

Best: Fresia (Sunsprite) for flower power, disease resistance and able to
withstand anything. Not to mention great colour yellow, outstanding
fragrance and beautiful form. I like the look of the bud and partly open
flower of Freisa better than the (IMHO) artifical look some of the
exhibition HTs seem to have.

2nd Best: Climbing iceberg for flower power, reasonable disease resistance,
light/sweet fragrance and just looking cheery all the time

Worst: Hard but I have to say Eric the Red for his black spot problems. I
still think it is my fault because I don't spray him enough (a couple of
times a season but by then he is already defoliated). I keep him around
because he has great medium red, fragrant, little cupped flowers that last
for 2 weeks when he decides to flower. He is in a pot and I enjoy the
flowers when they are there.

Kirra
Brisbane, Australia
zone 10

Old 30-07-2003, 12:02 PM
Chu Mai Fat

"Kirra" wrote in message

Worst: Hard but I have to say Eric the Red for his black spot problems.

A rose? I thought "Eric the Red" was a Norse of a different colour.

Regards

Chu

Old 30-07-2003, 03:02 PM
Theo Asir

This constantly changes but right
now we are going through a serious
drought phase. Driest July on record
w/ about 1/16th inch of rain so far.

Best performing roses right now.
- Prairie Princess absolute heat tolerant bloom machine.
- Felicia Get more perfumed in hot sun.
- Tamora 3' bloom machine. Heat tolerant.

Worst

- Compte de chambord spiney mass of canes not a bloom in sight.
- George vancouver wilting wilting wilting despite all the watering.
- Ambridge rose Only rose w/ blackspot in this dry spell!

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

Old 30-07-2003, 04:23 PM
Linda

Best: Marina (FL), this Dream rose, Yellow, and Tropicana--Always blooming
and no major problems
Worst: City of Carlsbad--IF it would bloom, it is really pretty, JFK-mites,
leggy,just not a pretty bloom

--
Linda S. in So. California
**Anxiously awaiting the birth of identical TWIN granddaughers in Aug.

Old 30-07-2003, 04:42 PM
elfa

In article , "Linda" says...

Best: Marina (FL), this Dream rose, Yellow, and Tropicana--Always blooming
and no major problems

I have Tropicana too....since last summer. Consistant performer.

elfa

Old 30-07-2003, 05:12 PM
Mark. Gooley

"Rosa Rosam" wrote in message:
Worst : Gertrude Jekkyl / Dresden Doll / Tequila Sunrise are on the goners
list.

Interesting. I bought my Mom a Gertrude Jekyll about a decade ago
and for the first few years it was rudely healthy and bloomed heavily.
Eventually she killed it by transplanting it. That was zone 5a, in
Illinois.
Other people have made similar claims of GJ being bulletproof.

I wonder how it would do here in 8b in Florida. I'll try for an own-root.

Mark.

Old 30-07-2003, 06:12 PM
Theo Asir

modern hybrid teas -- and some modern roses have stunned me with
their toughness under adversity, such as "St. Patrick."

Definitely "Old Blush" for this climate. Stubborn *******, bless it.

I can say that St Patrick survives
my Zone 5 winters with substantial
damage yet completely recovers every year.

Love this rose.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

Old 30-07-2003, 06:22 PM
Shiva

On 29 Jul 2003 16:35:34 -0700, elfa wrote:

This has probably been asked before but I haven't seen it.

No matter, it is a classic!

Circumstances: Zone 7, NC, we are still drowing under record rainfall,
and the gardens here have not been effectively sprayed with fungicide
or insecticide since May 10. (In other words, sprayed once since then
and it rained right after and washed it off.)

Best rose: Don Juan, hands down. Never has missed a beat, covered with
blooms, has bs and insect damage but makes new leaves and bloom so
fast it hardly matters. In a sub-category, of the baby grafteds, Royal
Amethyst has outdone itself. Whereas most of these have just died, it
has thrived and stays in bloom.

Worst rose: Damn, there are so many, it is hard to choose! Granada is
worst at defoliating, (the two ownroots that did not get voled) but
Full Sail must be the all-around suckiest rose in my garden. Good
times or bad, it does not bloom except in early spring and fall. It
does produce little brown horrible balling thrip-eaten things every
now and then, though.
Old 30-07-2003, 06:22 PM
Theo Asir

Best: Fresia (Sunsprite) for flower power, disease resistance and able to
withstand anything. Not to mention great colour yellow, outstanding

Ah! yes the bullet proof rose.

I finally found a rose to go with its
garish yellow. Granada!
I have them growing together and